Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between a Gaede and a C. Childs Danish Exchange blanket ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between a Gaede and a C. Childs Danish Exchange blanket ?

What is a difference between two blankets based on a "Danish Exchage" blankets? One is a C. Child's Federal Blanket and the other is a Federal blanket which was produced by Fred Gaede? I am looking at a blanket was supposed to be have one of the first Fred Gadie Federal blankets. Does it have any identifying marks? The one I am looking at has a small SH (?) in of the bars. Thank you.

Dan Stewart
    WIG

There are differences that make it easy to tell apart. The Fred Gaede & Bryce Workman NHS blanket that I've seen did not have a raised nap, and had the NPS initials woven into the stripe. My Charlie Childs blanket is the gray variety (not the sligtly brownish hue) and has a smooth raised nap. Both compare well to originals, and were the gold standard at the time.

Hope this helps, just my $0.02.

Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
    44th VA / 25th OH
    Last edited by mike44thva; 06-07-2021, 08:06 PM. Reason: Correct initials
    Mike Barnes

44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Hello Mike, Thank you for the information. I think mine is a Gaede blanket. Not sure what it is about blankets. Fun to collect or hoard.

Daniel

Daniel Stewart
      WIG

Comment

Guys,

I had the opportunity to talk with Fred at the CMH annual meeting over the Memorial Day weekend. Basically, he and Brice Workman were involved together in National Historical Services (their company name) for production of the blankets. NHS (not NPS) was in the stripe on some of them but Fred said only a limited number. So blankets with that marking would be rarer than those which did not.

Fred said that both they and Charlie used the same weaver (not Pat Klein at FHW!!) to produce their blankets and there was variation in the finishing between batches not necessarily who she made them for. He said the ones' produced for them had several finishes. He wasn't clear if there were any other specific differences between theirs and Charlie's, however.

Fred and I have been friends for a long time so the next time we get together I'll try to get more details.

Dick Milstead
        Company of Military Historians
        Liberty Rifles.
        Richard Milstead

Comment

Sorry for the typo, it should've been NHS. I'll fix that.

The Gaede/Workman blanket I have handled was owned by Tim Sheads. Luckily for me at that time he had a similar affection for blankets. I learned a lot from his research and originals. I do not remember the type of selvage (return or tuck), but it was not finished and had the NHS letters within one of the stripes. It was very rough.

Every Childs' Federal Issue reproduction I've seen (including my own) has a tucked selvage. In comparison (which is always important), every original blanket I've seen has a return selvage.
          Mike Barnes

44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Mike,

I can only report what Fred told me. I know that through the years I was always led to believe that Fred's blankets and Charlie's were basically from the same source. I know the original research was done by Fred who went to Denmark to view the originals in their collection. He told me at the meeting that when he and Brice were doing the project they were looking around for someone to make them. A small weaver got interested and came forward to do the first run for them. They continued to use her for subsequent runs as well as for other types of NHS blankets that they offered. He definitely indicated that the surface finishing varied on different lots depending on how the weaver did that batch. I assumed what he was referring to was the the amount of fulling and napping after weaving but that is what wool textile finishing involves blankets may be different. I presume that roughness could also be a function of the yarn used and what type or grade of sheep's wool was used to make it. I am not sure of the precise timing but I also thought that Charlie's blankets were offered after the NHS ones.

You should try to contact him if this doesn't seem correct to you. Understand that was a lot of years ago so some details get fuzzy. Also the communication channel could be "noisy."

Dick
            Richard Milstead

Comment

Dick, thanks for your reply and info. I'm good, always trying to learn more. Maybe one day I'll speak to or even meet Fred.

Some of Tim's research I've been privy to see included a binder that was owned by Dave Juergula (sorry for the potential spelling error). It has a lot of info about blankets, wool, and jean cloth. I was told it was one of 2 binders (copies), the other being owned by Fred.

As far as a lot of years going by from conversations, my talks with Pat at FHW were a while ago also. Someone else I was lucky enough to speak with about blankets in Gettysburg. I'm glad I wrote things down then. Otherwise.........
              Mike Barnes

44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Here is the NHS on a Fred Gaede blanket. You can barely see the N.

Dan

Dan Stewart
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I have one of Dave Jurgela's Federal issue blankets that I was lucky enough to get from Matt Woodburn a few years ago. It is a thing of beauty. It has all the correct details including the return selvage. I'm pretty sure that the Child's and NHS blankets also have the return selvage, not a cut an tucked one. I'll have to recheck my Child's blanket to be sure. Recently was able to pick up one of NHS's Federal "emergency" blankets. Been trying to find a NHS regular Federal issue blanket for years, but no luck. These mentioned blanket are the best of the best out there.
                  ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

Quote from Matt from the thread below:

"The very rare Dave Jurgela, Charlie Childs blankets, Fred Gaede's blankets, blankets make by Pat Kline at Family Heirloom Weavers (I think S&S had some for sale at Manassas), and my old Woodburn-Mount blanket are military examples off the top of my head that I know had a return selvage. There are others that are civilian blankets that have a correct selvage too. Hope that helps."

~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

I don't wish to doubt the late Mr. Woodburn (he got my blanket fetish started), my experiences tend to differ. The CC Danish Exchange blanket (gray variety) I own, the CC Danish Exchange blanket (brown hue variety), & white US Navy blanket owned by Ross Lamoreaux all have a tuck selvage. There may have been more than 2 runs on the Danish Exchange blanket, but those 2 have tuck selvages. The NPS blanket at S&S Sutler owned by Tim Sheads (who helped my blanket "issues") also has a tuck selvage. For clarity the Julius Jones, a limited run (50 I think) Matt Woodburn greenish-tan hue dual stripe blanket (with black shod,), & Abe Thomas blankets also all have a tuck selvage.

My CC Mahone blanket and both Woodburn Mount blankets have some type of thin-weave return selvage. The only CC gray/blue checkerboard civilian blanket I ever saw was hanging on an overhead line at Needle & Thread in Gettysburg. Unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to take it down and buy it.

Overall, all of these are quality blankets. And are much much better than any Woolrich or other low quality junk blanket easily available.

As usual, just my .02¢, I hope it helps.

Mike Barnes
                      Mike Barnes

44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Working...
                      X