• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering Ed Bearss

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bearss & Dooley.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	233182 Remembering Ed Bearss: Marine veteran, Civil War historian, author, speaker and one-of-a-kind Pied Piper of the battlefield. https://civil-war-picket.blogspot.co...civil-war.html
    Phil Gast

Just a little anecdote to the character of the great man. I only ever met him the once and it happened to be in England some years back. Our group, the American Eagles, were doing a Living History display at Avoncroft Museum near Birmingham. We were portraying Trans-Miss Confed troops and had dug rifle pits as part of the display. Mr. Bearss had been invited to the UK to speak to the American Civil War Round Table UK folks down in London and his hosts had brought him up to Birmingham to visit the Museum.

We knew he was on site and he kindly had a few words with us during a break. Once we were back in the rifle pits, he came round to see us and, well, I saw a chance for a bit of firper banter with him. I shouted 'Any news from Vicksburg, Sir?'

Quick as a flash the old boy replied 'Plenty soldier ... and none of it good!'

Chris O'Brien
    Retired Campaigner
    Chris O'Brien

Comment

Great memory.
      Phil Gast

Comment

Working...
      X