Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I beg of yall to nix the eBay junk threads

Friends and all,
    After consulting several close friends about this issue and having major issues with this situation myself, I decided to go public with my feelings on the eBay junk/trash/crap threads that have been popping up month after month and sometimes two or three threads a day garnering lots of views and comments. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK ON ANYONE!! NO OFFENSE IS INTENDED TO ANY FORUM MEMBER/READER. However, after finding at least eleven (11) threads with eBay junk in both the military and civilian forums; I must make my opinion known, even if others disagree and end up spitting on me later.

It was said by Paul Calloway in the "We got Rules here!" sticky/thread posted 2-02-04 at 10:33 P.M. that rule number two is:

"2. No Farbism - All discussion here must strive toward authenticity - this is not the forum for status quo reenacting or status quo thinking. Don't come here to argue with hardcores about what they are doing 'wrong.' "

I totally agree with this rule, but we seem to be constantly breaking it with this new trend towards posting at nearly any available opportunity the trash that is found on eBay marketed/sold as "Good for Civil War reenacting/reenactors." We want those less authentic to respect the no farbism rule, but it's being corrupted by longtime authentics by these eBay junk posts, don't you think?

When I go to eBay and look for antebellum and Civil War clothing, furniture, artifacts, etc. I expect to see some less than real/authentic items. And it seems I am not the only one who expects to find some trash while searching for good items as Curt Heinrich-Schmidt stated in the "Been There-Done That" thread posted on 4-15-04 at 9:20 P.M.:

"Kind of like bogus items on EBAY... Considering the Nature of the Beast, can one expect anything different there? Sure, fraud detection and artifact analysis is a positive learning experience, but the S & G Items?"

Next, a photo came up and after some discussion I don't know if the original poster thought it could have been real or what and to be quite honest I didn't read the thread. But I found this post my search to gather some data as I sat to write this and so now I quote Mike Chapman from the second page of the "Start Bidding @ $50,000,000 please" thread.

"All,

I think the intent of this folder was to save for RESEARCH, any LEGITIMATE period photos. It is not the place, nor is there any place on this forum, to rag on obvious phoneys.

Please use this space only for documented, researchable photos."

This I feel doesn't just apply to photos, but I believe with us being the people who attempt to look, act, and recreate the era as much as possible we must nix this posting of junk. We have a lot of people who are signing onto the Authentic Campaigner now as there is a thread with us having like 2000+ members. While all these junk posts are filled with humor or sarcasm, what does it do to post this crap? It's not authentic and this is the "Authentic Campaigner" is it not? I am truly not trying to stop anyone from having a good laugh. It is funny to see what people put on eBay (like the dress once that a friend showed me that could fit a woman with a waist size up to 72 inches!!); nevertheless, it really doesn't better us or the authenticity of us by these posts. I again implore you not to view this as an attack upon a single individual or any group of people, but take our purpose of the forum and rethink that before you consider posting your eBay junk finds.

Respectfully and with no hard feelings,
    Sincerely,
    Emmanuel Dabney
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
    http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Re: I beg of yall to nix the eBay junk threads

I agree with whats been said here, but I think perhaps a folder for fake warnings might be in order? Someplace to discus fakes and how to ID them. The discussions about fakes on the boards have helped me spot fakes where I would have missed them otherwise. This could be a very handy tool.

just a suggestion,

Comment

Thank you, Emmanuel....my feelings exactly!
      [FONT=FranklinGothicMedium][color=darkslategray][size=1]Colleen Formby
      [URL=www.agsas.org]AGSAS[/URL]
      [URL]www.geocities.com/col90/civilwar.html[/URL] [/font][/color][/size][SIZE="2"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Comment

I can see Ian’s point as well, though it may not be the most mature thing in the world to poke fun at obvious fakes, I believe there is a place for the discussion of possible "higher quality" fakes. It all comes down to how you look at the situation…if it is for the personal satisfaction of making fun of others, then that can be called into question, but there is also a possibility for scholarly discussion if we choose to compare quality documented items to ebay counterfeits.
        Dan Foster

Comment

Originally posted by rebyank
          I agree with whats been said here, but I think perhaps a folder for fake warnings might be in order? Someplace to discus fakes and how to ID them. The discussions about fakes on the boards have helped me spot fakes where I would have missed them otherwise. This could be a very handy tool.

just a suggestion,
          While this would be a good idea as a primer for identifying fakes from scoundrels trying to pawn off well-made fakes as original items, that skill comes with years of research and first-hand experience and not from a few postings from some of the august company that frequents this board.

I'm certainly not a tightwad, but it seems that things have gone a bit astray when every dorky outfit that some dupe puts on e-bay gets transposed over here. That's what the OTB is for.
          Jason R. Wickersty
          http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
          Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
          Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
          Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
          Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

I agree with Jason, there are better places for the posting of ebay frauds than this forum.
            Brian Koenig
            SGLHA
            Hedgesville Blues

Comment

I'm no fan of Ebay anyway. I have always thought that the CW photo folder was a place to post period photographs so that people could use them for research purposes.

Laughing at obvious bad/non-period items denigrates what we are trying to do here, in my opinion. The forums on the A/C site are for the serious exchange of information and philosophies on authentic reenacting. We try to do this by providing research links, links to quality suppliers of reproduction goods, a schedule of authentic events, and discussion of preservation issues.

Pointing out less than authentic people or things is counter productive to what the A/C is trying to accomplish.
              Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Personally,

I don't really look at those posts. But I rely on accurate subject headers for no trickery. There are some good eBay posts.

:tounge_sm

John Pillers
                'Just Don't Look, Just Don't Look'
                John Pillers
                Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Well, I think there should a sub-folder in the sinks for the super farb/bad fake ebay stuff, because there is a sub-folder for modern service men which does of course not have anything to do with reenacting or reasearch. But I'm not saying we should take out the modern service folder and it is a good thing that we have that sub-folder on the AC. Just my two cents

Comment

Just my $.02 here and only that....

I think Mr. Foster's post hits the nail on the head. It all depends on how you look at things. I think some real good has been done, from a learning standpoint anyway, particularly in some of these discussions regarding fraudulent Ebay items. I would also point to Messrs. Beall and Caldwell's excellent observations on a recent fake Ebay shelljacket in question. Yes, I realize this is the "Authentic" Campaigner, but what defines FAKE if not discussed in the light of authenticity? Are we going to ignore these items and pretend they do not exist, or are we going to use them to our advantage-- share our discoveries, and learn from them (and each other), as a result? Regarding absurd postings: Sure there have been extremely inappropriate ones, in both the military and the civilian forums. But taken on the whole, I personally think it's been a worthwhile discourse and exercise in learning. Any topic can prove to be constructive when viewed with the proper attitude, but I realize there are all kinds of egoes in this hobby which sometimes hinder that.

Thanks for your time. Frankly, it now appears that even this thread is beginning to branch out into that same never-neverland of beaten dead horses as those same "unworthy" Ebay-related discussions have!

Rich Croxton
                    Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

AC image gallery

Anybody notice the number of modern reenactor wetplate images
                      posted on this web site as "Civil War"images, side by side with
                      original period images? I don't think anybody intentionally created
                      the image galleries this way, but it is very misleading.

Chuck Sprowls

Comment

I think we are getting a general consensus that Ebay farbisms have no place on this forum. I agree 110%.

However I would also like to suggest that if you find something worthwhile on Ebay (a photograph or whatever) that you post the item as an attachment (without violating any copyright laws) rather than the link to the item. The links on Ebay die after a certain number of days and after that they are useless. In the interest of keeping a useful and growing body of knowledge a dead link is of no help, especially if the item is the topic of a good discussion.

Again I implore everyone to keep this forum as scholarly as possible and keep the posting of Ebay junk, no matter how funny or ridiculous they might be, to other venues. Hopefully, we all come to this site to learn and share knowledge. I don't think that a buckskin fatigue blouse serves either purpose.
                        Brian Koenig
                        SGLHA
                        Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Emmanuel, if there are some ebay threads on the Citizen's side I haven't yet spiked, please let me know... I've been on a crusade over there regarding such things for a past few months, and I think I've got them all, but a head's up would be great...

All,
                          The Alert system will work for reporting really useless eBay posts. Just let us Mods know, and we will grab them from there.

I do think that some things come up on eBay that can be helpful to study... in terms of comparing original items there with repro, etc, and seeing how consistent things are.

The "Look At This Crud" stuff, though... that's not research or inquiry, and I'll stand with fellow Moderators and put the kibosh on the junk threads.
                          Regards,
                          Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Re: AC image gallery

Originally posted by Sprowls
                            Anybody notice the number of modern reenactor wetplate images
                            posted on this web site as "Civil War"images, side by side with
                            original period images? I don't think anybody intentionally created
                            the image galleries this way, but it is very misleading.

Chuck Sprowls
                            All the photos uploaded into the "catch all" section and then they are moved to the proper section by the mods. I posted a few reenacting pictures into the "catch all" section that are now in the original photos section, and I have no way to move them. I have marked the errant photos as modern.
                            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I agree with your post completely. I’ve composed but haven’t posted various themes on this idea myself. This is one of the few post with “EBAY” in the title that I have opened.

Treat Ebay as buyer beware, there are some sellers who are honesty ignorant of their items, some are honest and respectable and some are thieves.

Also some of the Ebay posts aren’t to inform but they appear only to ridicule, and ridicule never does anybody any good.
                              Dutchy

Jim Fortnam
                              CaughtOff Guards

Comment

Working...
                              X