Has Nicky left the CCG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Nicky left the CCG?

I read on another private forum that Nicky Hughes has left the CCG. If that is true, and I fear it is... I think they just lost my support, and how ironic that I just received my renewal notice today.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Re: Has Nicky left the CCG?

Paulus Pontifex Maximus,

You likely know that CCG was recently bought out by the folks at the "Civil War Courier":

This recent change in management is either a good thing or a bad thing--only time will tell, I suppose.

Yours, &c., &c.,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

only time will tell
      I'm not sure that time is necessary. I've seen the Courier.
      Paul Calloway
      Proud Member of the GHTI
      Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Don't mince words, sir, tell me what you really think.

Very truly yours, &c., &c.,

Mark Jaeger
        "CEO, Paul Calloway Appreciation Society"
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Paul, Nick is supposed to be staying on. Hopefully, this will happen.
          Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Originally posted by paulcalloway
            I read on another private forum that Nicky Hughes has left the CCG. If that is true, and I fear it is... I think they just lost my support, and how ironic that I just received my renewal notice today.
            I just received the latest Camp Chase and it was noted that both Nicky and Susan would stay on as editors of their respective magazines.
            Virginia Mescher
            vmescher@vt.edu
            http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

From the CCG Forum:
              CitizCompanionTue May-25-04 09:59 PM
              Member since May 25th 2004

1 posts

#85, "RE: Nicky Hughes?"

In response to Reply # 2

Mr. Hughes as respectfully declined to stay on as editor of Camp Chase Gazette, in a letter dated May 6, 2004. To date he has received no response whatsoever from anyone at Lakeway Publishers.

At present I am attempting to continue as editor of The Citizens' Companion. I have provided the June/July issue to the publisher. However, there are still some contract issues to be resolved. The ball is in their court.

Susan Lyons Hughes
              Editor
              The Citizens' Companion

Paul Calloway
              Proud Member of the GHTI
              Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Okay, let's just get this out in the open.

Nicky is no longer editor of CCG. He submitted his resignation letter 2 or 3 weeks ago. I discussed this with him prior to his decision and told him that, as unfortunate as it was that he had to take this road, I understood and supported him in it. Why did he leave? The new editors started telling him what he could and could not print, with an eye toward the farby.

I guess something could happen to reverse this, but in the last couple weeks Nicky's confirmed this to me several times, and he's told at least one other friend of mine who sent him an article for CCG. His latest e-mail to me said, "No, this isn't a secret anymore", which is why I'm letting this out now.

Damn shame. I hope CCG doesn't do a backslide into farbdom, and of course only time will tell.

This is a shame, because "The Watchdog", as noble a periodical as it is, has about 1/10th or less of the circulation that CCG does. Most folks who get "The Watchdog" don't NEED to read that stuff, whereas most folks who get CCG desperately need to see articles that show them how to improve and read event reports on "authentic" events that show them how fun and rewarding such events can be. My fear is that we'll start seeing AARs on how noble and authentic the "Hunley" funeral parade was.

I think I need to see how CCG is going to look, read, and "feel" before writing much else for them, but that's just me. I'm not cutting it off, but I'm certainly in a "wait and see" mode right now.

Comment

I can confirm what Kevin said. Several phone conversation with Susan and Nicky have indicated the direction the new owners are taking the magazine, the requirements being placed upon the Hughes, a lack of communication from the new CCG HQ, etc. Doesn't sound good for the CCG.
                  PATRICK CRADDOCK
                  Prometheus No. 851
                  Franklin, Tennessee
                  Widows' Sons Mess
                  www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Oh for the days of Holschuh, Chef Enoch, and Jonah Begone, etc. etc.

I haven't read/rcvd the CCG since 1996 (take that however you'd like...)
                    Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
                    – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Kevin, Pat, Paul, et al - do your conversations with Nicky lead you to believe there will be an immediate editorial change and policy direction toward Farbdom? Or was it more of a "removal of descretion" for the one guy I was hoping would take it in the right direction? Do we want to make a strong statement of public support for him and concern for what we see as a bad move?

Wonder how this will effect the website? Any change at the Citizen's Companion?

If we wait to evaluate it for a few months we may lose whatever effect a statement now might have.

That will teach me to pay for a 3 year subscription... and I guess there is no hope now the ads for C & C Sutlery will be removed anytime soon.
                      Soli Deo Gloria
                      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Gives a little more weight to a "where do we go from here" conversation I had a few days ago, with issues arising with various arrangements and sponsor requirements (yep, The CW Courier) for this fall's Battle of Franklin.

While I've got some time to run on my Citizen's Companion, my Camp Chase is up for renewal. I've always cabbaged off of someone else's Watchdog--time to put my money to that effort.

And, I took a "free" subscription to the Courier a couple of years back---as usual with such things, I used a different middle initial than my own, so I could track how many times my name got sold, and to who. The amount of bad civil war junk mail that comes into my house from it is amazing!

But if anyone has an effective idea as to how to influence this process before these two fine magazines are ruined, speak up, and lets get the ball rolling. I know as late as last weekend, I noted two gentlemen (who hold high level rank in a mainstream organization) who were unaware that the CC had changed hands. Upon discovering the name of the buyers, one put his face in his hands, while the other swore most eloquently.

Pretty much my reaction too...... :(
                        Terre Hood Biederman
                        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Greetings,

Well, given all the above, here's one positive proposal: Continue to submit quality articles and see what the new management does with them. Give them the benefit of the doubt. Obviously "CCG" is their magazine and they can pretty much do whatever they want with it. However, they're in business and presumably have enough smarts to know that they'll have to pay attention to the needs of their readership. Yes, folks can bitch but I think coming to them with great articles and creative ideas in hand will wield a lot more influence.

Your thoughts?

Mark Jaeger
                          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Mark, et al:

Good idea about sending in good articles, but...

If Nicky had a hard time getting quality articles sent it from well informed and researched folks in our community, how much luck will the new folks (whom I doubt will have the background, knowledge, or experience of Mr. Hughes) have? Will they know the people to tap for good articles? Will they know a good and informative article when they see it? Or will they go with the people they know...the mainstream?

The bottom line in business is that you do what YOU think is best for your business. I think the owners of the CCG have already shown their hand by causing Nicky to leave.

Just asking questions. No answers.
                            PATRICK CRADDOCK
                            Prometheus No. 851
                            Franklin, Tennessee
                            Widows' Sons Mess
                            www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Pat makes a great point about Nicky's struggle to get "good articles" for CCG for the past two years. If Nicky and his good reputation had to struggle, the new editor will likely have at least as tough a time.

I don't recommend any knee-jerk reactions or protests on this. First off, it's useless. Even if 10% of the campaigner community that subscribes to CCG complained (probably an optimistic number), that's what--about maybe 20 complaints?--wow, that'll show 'em.

They are looking to increase subscribers and revenue, period. Most magazine publishers would do the same. Give them a chance to show us what they're doing.

For the last two years CCG wasn't a bad magazine. I don't understand those who immediately say, "Nicky's gone and so am I!" and further don't understand those who "brag" that they haven't subscribed to it in years. Perhaps if Nicky's had more articles and support from the "campaigner" community he'd have been more convinced to stay on, and thereby influence more of the hobby toward some improvement.

Instant satisfaction feels good, but it only lasts for an instant, and then one has to substitute righteousness in its place.

Comment

Working...
                              X