Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Segeant Charles B. Grace

Gentleman:

Do hope I have posted this in the correct area. I am searching for information on Segreant Charles B. Grace, Company B, 4th GA Inf. He among others have been given credit for firing the shot that killed General Sedgewick. I am the curator of a small museum in Jacksonville, FL. and recently given access to a Colt Pocket Revolver hostler which was inscribed as follows: "Taken from a Federal Officer, Battle of the Wilderness, Sergeant Charles B. Grace".

I have searched the usual places for more information on this individual but was hoping that perhaps someone out there might have some insight into both Sergeant Grace and the death of General Sedgewick as I am planning a display on this action.

Thank you in advance for any information that might be provided.

Van C. Seagraves
    Curator,
    G. Howard Bryan Museum of Southern History

Re: Segeant Charles B. Grace

Van, I'm pretty sure Grace wrote a book or had a book written about him. Might want to look into that.
    Ryan Burns
    The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
    3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

Hello

Southern states hold all the records of their service men from this time I would contact the state for copies of his records as well as the states historical society for they would be the keepers of any regimental histories.

If you goto the NPS soldier and sailor system (search this to find the website) the national park service will give you some basic information as well as give you direct links to state goverments to request documents under tool's

Jasper

Comment

Mr. Seagraves:

As you say, Grace was one of at least five or six men who either claimed to be, or was given credit for being, Sedgwick's shooter.

Grace has a brief entry in Lillian Henderson, comp., Roster of the Confederate Soldiers of Georgia 1861-1865, Volume I , (Hapeville, Geo.: Longino & Porter, Inc., 1959), p. 565. The entry simply states that Grace enlisted on April 26, 1861 and surrendered at Appomattox, Va. on April 9, 1865.

Grace was identified as Sedgwick's shooter in Henry W. Thomas, History of the Doles-Cook Brigade , (Atlanta: The Franklin Printing and Publishing Co., 1903), p. 91.

Also, Grace wrote his own account of the incident in "Member of 4th Ga. Vols. Shot Genl. Sedgwick," a newspaper article that appeared in the October 26, 1901 edition of the Atlanta Journal . You should be able to get a copy of Grace's article on microfilm through your local interlibrary loan librarian.

Whether Grace was the actual shooter may never be known, as others were also given credit for the skillful shot.

I hope this helps.

Eric
        Eric J. Mink
        Co. A, 4th Va Inf
        Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Some digging around found a couple more sources on Grace.

In 1995, an article on grace was published in Blue and Gray Magazine :

Durham, Roger S. "The Man Who Shot John Sedgwick: The Tale of Charles D. Grace--A Sharp-shooter in the Doles-Cook Brigade." Blue & Gray Mag 13 (Holiday 1995): pp. 24-27.

The LaGrange, Georgia Sons of Confederate Veterans camp (Camp #223) is named after Grace. The camp's website provides some additional information on him:

Eric
          Eric J. Mink
          Co. A, 4th Va Inf
          Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Gentleman,

Once again members of this forum have responded with informative information. My thanks to all who responded and especially to Eric who supplied much needed information and links for this upcoming project.

In our 6,000 volume library we have Mrs. Henderson's works as well as the History of the Doyle GA Brigade. I have contacted the Washington Memorial Library in Macon, GA for copies of Sgt's Grace CSR as well as any other information that they may have on him.

If all goes well, this display will be up in the next couple of months with the captured holster, SGT Grace's information, General Sedgewick's information and if all goes well, an original Whitworh from that period.

My thanks again to all and once again, the members have been more than helpfull as well as suportive. If any member happens to be in the NE Florida or SE Georgia, I extend an open invitation to visit our Museum and library.

Comment

Comrade Seagraves,

For what it's worth, Major Thomas W. Hyde, Provost Marshall of 6th Corps was with Sedgewick on that fatal day. The General collapsed onto Hyde, who, with others, removed him from his horse.
              Spattered and stained with Sedgewick's blood, Hyde rode back towards the Corps HQ area. There he encountered General Hancock, but so deep was Hyde's grief, he was unable to say anything, only look mournfully at Hancock, who seemed to grasp what had happened. Hancock quietly asked "Sedgewick?" to which Hyde was able to nod, confirming Hancock's fear.
              So great was Hyde's affection for Sedgewick, that he named his son John Sedgewick Hyde, and the Hyde School, a private school in Bath, Maine, where Hyde lived, still bears this name. The local GAR post was also the Sedgewick Post, and little reminders of the 6th Corps are still to be seen around the city.
              Hyde is known for his book, "Following the Greek Cross", but he also produced another, more detailed book for his close asociates and friends. In it, he details Sedgewick's death, and other incidents which he felt were too graphic or politically damaging to have fully described in his more well known book.
              respects,
              Tim Kindred
              Medical Mess
              Solar Star Lodge #14
              Bath, Maine

Comment

Working...
              X