Could it be possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could it be possible?

Something such as this on Ebay, and not getting a single bid? If this was genuine, then it would probabaly be going through the roof since pretty much everyone I know (in the community, and collectors) know who he was.

If anyone sees any inconsistancies, please note them.

< Sorry if this upsets certain people that I am linking items on ebay, but this is for discussion >
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Matt Caldwell

GHTI

WIG[/FONT]

Re: Could it be possible?

Comrades,

Well, my first concern would be the use of Maine State Seal buttons on the coat. Although it is possible that he used them, most of the ID'd uniforms from maine that I have seen used either General Service eagle buttons, or staff eagle buttons. Even Chamberlain's images show him wearing eagle buttons on his coat(s).
    I would be extremely suspicious of this lot, as with other id'd items. It's just too easy to put together a "collection" and claim it's all from the same source. Provenance can be forged as well, particularly if there is sufficient financial incentive. One way to check would be to get ahold of Ellis's physical description from his enlistment papers from the state archives, and compare them to the size of the coat.
    That;s just my initial reaction. It all seems too "neat" for my tastes. It may very well be genuine, and I could be completely and utterly wrong here, but I dunno.........
    respects,
    Tim Kindred
    Medical Mess
    Solar Star Lodge #14
    Bath, Maine

Comment

My philosophy on all memorabilia is: if I didn't see the person sign it, then I won't buy it. This is more convenient with sports personalities, but is a bit harder for the Civil War. Nevertheless, I have not been burned yet. ;)
      Bill Cross
      The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

For seeing the person in it... I could be wrong, but I believe it was worn by C. Thomas Howell in GETTYSBURG...

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Actually it would be Donal Logue. Yep, the father from "Grounded for Life".
          Rick Bailey
          Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

I've been buying and selling authentic artifacts for many, many years. I'm not a dealer, just a collector. ANY and EVERY reputable dealer that I purchased from offered to buy the items back when and if I wanted to sell them. Sometimes for a little more money, sometimes just horse trading and sometimes I lost a little.

If you want to buy something. BUY IT FROM A REPUTABLE DEALER. They are in this as a business and if they ever get their name smeared by selling a fake. They go out of business - period.

And of those dealers - they all watch Ebay. Sometimes real items do go up for auction - but people bid the stuff up to the correct price or way more ! One dealer that I know, had to stop his auctions when the item met the market price. He said people would bid the stuff beyond its value. He's been in the business for 30 years.

Jerry Holmes

Originally posted by Matt Caldwell
            Something such as this on Ebay, and not getting a single bid? If this was genuine, then it would probabaly be going through the roof since pretty much everyone I know (in the community, and collectors) know who he was.

If anyone sees any inconsistancies, please note them.

< Sorry if this upsets certain people that I am linking items on ebay, but this is for discussion >
            Last edited by 65thgainf; 06-04-2004, 06:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to sign
            Jerry Holmes
            28th GA. Inf
            65th GA. Inf (GGG-Grandfather)

Comment

Hallo Herr Rick!

Thanks, for the correction (I ruined my own attempt at a weak joke...;-) )

I had Thomas Chamberlin on the brain for some reason... (must be from all of the von Richthofen hair I have collected from EBAY)

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Just a thought...but there should be alot of readily available records of officers in the 20th Maine....the documentation of the jacket is severly lacking, all that is there is a little personal history of the supposed original owner of the jacket. Another comment, is that the 20th was organized after the war had started, just curious if they would still be using state buttons in the Union?

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                (Loblolly Mess)
                [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Comrades,

Interestingly enough, the seller has ended the auction early because the item is no longer available for sale.
                  Respects,
                  Tim Kindred
                  Medical Mess
                  Solar Star Lodge #14
                  Bath, Maine

Comment

Who knows? Check out this link...http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/articles/nov02/elli1102.htm

-Bill Lawson

Comment

OK -- let me ask the stupid question -- why are there two sets of epaulets?

Comment

Originally posted by DonSmithnotTMD
                        OK -- let me ask the stupid question -- why are there two sets of epaulets?

One is a stunt set :tounge_sm
                        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
                        X