Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blacked out flag stars

Anybody see ABC news last night?
    There was a story related to the new Iraqi flag that went into a lot of different things about flags.

There was one strange thing, supported by the vexilologist and a painting, concerning blacking out stars on U.S. flags to represent seceeded states. I thought there was an executive order specifically prohibiting this, because the U.S. governemnt didn't officially recognize any seperation.

Re: Blacked out flag stars

Comrade,

I dunno. What I can say is that it would be very irresponsible to do that. Blacking out those stars would, in effect, be giving legitimacy to their seccession. I cannot see how doing such a thing would further anyone's agenda than the southern state's. A true Union man would make certain that they were all present, indicating that the nation was indivisible.

I will add, though, that this might be an urban legend dating from the time prior to the war when the national flag used in military units had stars painted with silver pigment. It was found that, over time, the silver darkened with age until it was no longer detectable against the dark blue canton. A simple change to gold pigment, which doesn't fade, solved the problem.

respects,
    Tim Kindred
    Medical Mess
    Solar Star Lodge #14
    Bath, Maine

Comment

Hmmm -- could be. the painting they showed had about 12 or so stars blackened (but in their star shape) along the bottom. I only saw it briefly over my shoulder, but it looked as if it were a battle scene.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stMaine
        What I can say is that it would be very irresponsible to do that. Blacking out those stars would, in effect, be giving legitimacy to their seccession. I cannot see how doing such a thing would further anyone's agenda than the southern state's. A true Union man would make certain that they were all present, indicating that the nation was indivisible.
        This was done many times anyway... there are a huge number of contradictions and hypocrisy. The splitting of Virginia is perhaps one of the best examples. How could you make West Virginia if there is no secession?

That issue aside I have not seen any period reference to blacking out stars but it may have happened.

Richard (Russ) Russell
        Co. A 1st Tenn Inf CSA
        Rock City Guards

Comment

Working...
        X