reenacting resume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reenacting resume

As reitrement nears (OK -- 2-4 years), I've been pondering resumes. many positions say to include volunteer or unpaid work. I'm wondering if anybody has put reenactment experience on a resume. If so, how did you phrase it? If not, why not?
    Last edited by ; 06-12-2004, 09:42 AM.

Re: reenacting resume

I have included it in my resume as Living History Volunteer/Educator. As a matter of fact the H.R. director of the last company was facinated with the fact that I had been in a Living History Organization for over 10 years (at that time) as well as the Captain of a National level Paintball team and wanted to know as much about those as my actual work experience in computers...LOL!!! It is a GREAT conversation starter and something they seldom know anything about. Also...most people know someone who is a reenactor and they will most surly ask you if you know that person giving somewhat of a personal connection with the interviewer :wink_smil .

Comment

hmm -- might not hurt. I'm looking for a more direct connection in the education/experience block. I'll have my BA finished and want something to set me apart in interpretation, research etc.

Comment

Don-

I just updated my resume a few months ago and finally included a small section on "civic activities and hobbies." I just wrote a brief line that said, "Participate in living history activities centered on the American Civil War.” I also do living history as a passenger train conductor on the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway circa 1950 and included a similar brief line on that as well. Since I was applying at a university and as a personal preference, I chose not to use the word “reenactor” anywhere.

Matt Crouch

Just saw your latest reply. Break it down to hours spent on a subject and summarize the results or conclusions of that research / study.
        Last edited by BerkeleyBorderGuard; 06-12-2004, 10:03 AM. Reason: add information
        [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode][SIZE=4]Matt Crouch[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Blue][I]All of the top achievers I know are life-long learners... Looking for new skills, insights, and ideas. If they're not learning, they're not growing... not moving toward excellence. [/I][/COLOR] [B]Denis Waitley [/B]

Comment

Matt
          Thats what I was looking for, I think.
          If this is getting too far out anyone can email me.

Comment

Being that the jobs I try are Civic (Fire Departments) or sometype of Safety position for factories. They seem to love the public speaking involved with reeacting. But as putting it on a Resume, I am not sure were to place it. But since I have been needing to send a resume and an application I place it in the hobby, activities section.
            Hope that helps.
            Daniel MacInnis
            Thanks
            Daniel MacInnis
            Adair Guards
            Commonwealth Grays
            [URL="http://www.westernindependentgrays.org"]WIG[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.westernfederalblues.org"]Western Federal Blues[/URL]

Comment

Don,
              I also am currently in college, but going for my paralegal degree. My one professor told me I should list my 15 years in the hobby as Civil War Living Historian and Research Volunteer.

Andrew Jarvi
              Capt. 5th USCT
              Respectfully yours,
              Andrew Jarvi
              [URL="http://darbycreekboys.webs.com/index.html"]Darby Creek Boys[/URL]

Kamfet brav fur Freiheit und Recht

Comment

First off, you should leave it off IMHO.

But if you do - then I think you should only list this if you have repeatedly participated at Park programs... NPS/State/Local and other equivalent historic sites...or with fund raising for preservation.

And unless you are doing major research I would leave that off as well. Skimming online or reading on the 200th Indiana doesn't count... Major university research in the kind of things that impress, published works, etc.

Preservation activities seem more in line for volunteerism on a resume.

Otherwise listing this type of hobby on a resume seems a little shallow to me... it's not like you're helping burn victims here.

And you should log some MAJOR hours with any volunteer organization before attemping to list your hobbies...
                Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
                – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Hallo Kamerden!

I agree with Ryan here.

That can be a double-edged sword.

As a potential employer, finding leadership skills, organizational skills, particular and relevent experience with boards, assocations and groups, direct experience and involvement in related areas, public speaking, volunteerism, etc., may be of value for certain jobs or postions.

As a potential employer, stereotypical images of Ramboesque, boozing, Confederate flag toting racists out on weekend "cowboy and Indian fests" may negatively affect a hiring or promotion decision.

As with any resume writing, there is art and skill in crafting an effective one- and not one that is going to hurt one's chances.

IMHO, such should not go on a resume (defined as a 1-2 pages, preferably 1 page), but rather a Curriculum Vitae (CV). From Resume Writing Services:

A Curriculum Vitae is often required for those applying to graduate or professional programs, employment with international firms, or when promoting oneself within professional and academic fields.

A Curriculum Vitae is longer than the average 1-2 page resume because it provides a greater range of information such as:

Professional, Vocational or Research Objective
                  Summary of Qualifications
                  Professional Licenses or Certifications
                  Education including Post Graduate, Graduate and Undergraduate Degrees and Studies
                  Listing of Relevant Course work to Match Career or Academic Objective
                  Educational or Professional Honors or Awards
                  Scientific or Academic Research, Laboratory Experience and Related Skills
                  Description of Thesis or Dissertation, Papers Written, Publications
                  Academic or Professional Presentations
                  Related Extracurricular Activities, Professional and Association Memberships
                  Community Involvement
                  Work Experience - Paid or Volunteer
                  Technical and Specialized Skills such as Computer Progamming or Laboratory Instrumentation
                  Interests - Future Academic or Professional Goals
                  Travel / Exposure to Cultural Experiences
                  Foreign Language Skills
                  Additional Information that May Support Objective or Qualifications

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                  Who Once Taught A Resume/CV Course Mess
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

The last part of my resume:

ACTIVITIES AND INTERESTS
                    Member, Moose Lodge #--- • Member, Moose Legion, District #- • Civil War Living Historian • Weight Training • Walking for Fitness

Thats it, short, sweet, to the point. It's vague enough to not get to many questions, yet shows me as civic minded, and having a unique interest.

(the dashes next to the number signs are there to keep my personal info personal.)

Terence Stevens
                    Last edited by 55th VVI; 06-13-2004, 12:25 PM.
                    Ted Siljowicz

Comment

resumes (more than one)

The flexibility we have now with word processing programs gives us the ability to tailor resumes. Tailor, in the sense of choosing what to include in each and what order to put things in, what to stress, what to just list.

So the answer is, really, include your reenacting experiences whenever you know enough about the job and the employer to think it would do you some good.

Sometimes the place to include it is in the cover letter, where you get to put things in context rather than just list them as credentials. "This position requires public speaking skills. None of my previous jobs gave me a chance to learn about that, but 13 years before the public explaining the daily life of a Civil War soldier did." And away you go.

Sometimes the place to bring it up is the job interview, not the resume/cover letter. The purpose of the resume/cover letter is not to get you a job, realize that. The purpose of the resume/cover letter is to get you a job INTERVIEW, preferably with the highest-ranking decision maker at the company where you're hoping to work. The objective of the interview is to get you the job, and it depends on who is doing the interviewing, sometimes, as to what you include. You really need to have a feel for whether the person doing the interviewing is a by-the-book human resources person, in which case maybe you want to play it staid, or the person who actually is doing the hiring, in which case you might want to bring up all kinds of stuff that might emerge, once you find out what he or she really wants, as "added value" not listed on your resume.

Got to play this stuff by ear. My current employer now endorses all types of employee interaction with the community, "even" living history, as innately good for the company; I'm pretty sure, though, that involvement with reenactors at another job in another state played the major role in making my services no longer necessary to one very stuffy and politically correct corporate chain. So you need to know your target, and that goes for other aspects of your career and life experience too, not just reenacting.

Hope that's of some value to folks.
                      Bill Watson
                      Stroudsburg

Comment

Personally I have never included it on a resume, but I have used it during my oral interviews when I am asked such questions as "Do you have any public speaking experience?" or "Do you have any experience interacting with the public?” When I mention it I am sure to leave out the phrase "reenactor" and when they ask which "side" I'm on I tell them that I go both ways.. :tounge_sm
                        Dan Foster

Comment

I have a section "Independent Studies & Research" that includes Civil War Living History. This section also includes projects I have researched and presented for local Museum and University events. (I am now thinking "Research and Presentation" would me more accurate.) I have considered this section as important as the employment section, which consists of museums, conservation and program development.
                          I work in the education and recreation fields currently. This section did receive a good deal of attention during the interviews for both positions. In the interview for the school/teaching, the interviewers asked about the research content and working with youths. In the interviews for program director position, they were interested in idea development, presentation, and supervision.
                          I did play around with a format focused on Program Development that combined paid and volunteer programs I created. While it made sense, I was not confidant in the non-traditional format. I haven’t used it.

Anna Worden
                          [COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Book Antiqua]Anna Worden Bauersmith[/FONT][/COLOR]
                          [URL="http://annaworden.wordpress.com"][/URL]

Comment

I cannot agree with more, or stress more strongly, Mr. Watson's key points:
                            • The purpose of your cover letter is to inspire someone to read your resume. Period.
                            • The purpose of your resume is to inspire someone to pick up the phone and schedule you for an interview. Period.

As a 20+ year Human Resources professional, I often advise job seekers to streamline their resumes to 1-2 pages. Remove any "personal" stuff not associated with education, degress, or courses you have taught, etc. in recognized institutions of learning. I strongly recommend you delete anything and everything referring to your personal hobbies, family, friends, church affiliations, your golf handicap, bowling score, size of your fishing boat, and the number of recent European trips you took. (Yes... over the years I have seen ALL these and more on resumes! :baring_te !)

Your hobbies are irrelevant to the discussion--- EXCEPT to the extent that a mention MIGHT assist you in the course of the interview ( a question regarding your hobbies, etc. might be a cue to discussing reenacting.) Be SURE you tie it in somehow to the positon for which you are applying. For example: "Yes, I enjoy a variety of hobbies..camping with my family, hiking, bowling, water-skiing, and one hobby you may have heard of-- Civil War Reenacting. While I like to unwind by participating at several events over the year, I have found that this hobby has provided me with a focus on details, opportunities to interract with a variety of peer groups, and leadership and problem solving skills..." You get the idea.

As a rule, dump the "Personal" or "Hobbies" stuff and confine your resume to education, degrees, special training or certifications you have received, etc., particularly if they are job related.

Oh... one more thing. Use only white or buff-colored paper and envelopes. And choose a high-quality bond. None of this colored/multi colored or rainbow paper, wacky fonts, multi-colored typescript, or color photographs of yourself. When I see this stuff coming through, my FIRST impression is that you're trying to smoke-screen some weakness(es) in your resume...

Regards,

Bob Braun.
                            Last edited by Robert Braun; 06-17-2004, 11:13 AM.
                            [B]Robert Braun[/B]

<< Il nous faus de l'audace, encore l'audace, toujours l'audace! >>

Comment

Mr. Braun,

In reflection of these statements:
                              Originally posted by Robert Braun
                              ....Remove any "personal" stuff not associated with education, degress, or courses you have taught, etc. in recognized institutions of learning. ..... Your hobbies are irrelevant to the discussion--- EXCEPT to the extent that a mention MIGHT assist you in the course of the interview......
                              How would you suggest determining when a "hobby" is or is not relevant? Would you consider the type of reenacting and career field as factors that may create an exception? Within the reenacting/living history hobby there are those who organize events, facilitate seminars and educate the public. If done frequently enough and for an extended period of time, these people could develop and display skills useful in fields such as education, program development, recreation, museum administration or public relations. This has long been my perspective. If you disagree as an employee, could you share more of your reasoning?

Thank you,
                              Anna Worden
                              [COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Book Antiqua]Anna Worden Bauersmith[/FONT][/COLOR]
                              [URL="http://annaworden.wordpress.com"][/URL]

Comment

Working...
                              X