Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Up For Discussion

Originally posted by CSchneider
    After having looked at the Diggs trousers last week, they definitely have some interesting features. Would Mr. Hanes agree with me that they appear to be almost "bell bottoms?"

-Craig Schneider
    Well, now that adds and interesting twsit... I did not know that... Where are the pants stored at? I would like to see thoes??

Joshua J Semovoski
    Gettysburg, PA
    jsemovoski@ltsg.edu

Comment

The trousers are stored in the Vault at the MOC. I would post some pics but it is probably not a good idea to do so without permission from them.
      Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
      PO BOX 4849
      Midlothian, VA 23112
      www.richmonddepot.com
      (804)305-2968

Comment

Sorry, I know the thread is old, but I don't venture in this section much. The Diggs uniform is one of my favorites and I've viewed each item on two different occasions (total of 2 times). The last time I was at the MoC I just had to show Craig the trousers as they are truly one of a kind. The jacket, while in REALLY poor shape allows one to literarily get inside the jacket and see how it is constructed. According to family history, A.E. Diggs was KIA in June of '63 while wearing this jacket. Here are some of my notes on the jacket:
        • Fabric is cassimere, pronounced twill, 2/2, appears to have been logwood or sumac dyed on brown warp
        • 9 button front, Fed. Eagle “A”, not original to jacket
        • Padded with cotton batting which is quilted in between buckram or course cotton fabric.
        • Body lined with brown & white cotton flannel, no inner pockets
        • Sleeves lined with a twill cotton, possibly drill
        • Four piece body, two piece sleeves.
        • Two slash style pockets on front extending from the 3rd button down to the 6th
        • No topstitching on perimeter of the jacket
        • All exterior stitching (button holes, pockets, etc.) done with black or dark blue cotton thread
        • Under each sleeve is a diff. color fabric of a much courser weave, same twill, extending 4.25” down sleeve and from edge to edge
        • Trim is cotton, ¼” which is folded over and topstitched
        • Padding ends 1” before button edge
        • Epilates are one piece w/same type of cotton in the sleeves underneath
        • Outside pockets are 1” wide, bags are same as sleeve cotton
        • Padding attached to jacket by small purls or pricks, set 3” apart vertically
        • Entirely hand sewn
        Rich Taddeo
        Shocker Mess
        "Don't do it, you're going to get hurt." Jerry Stiles @ Sky Meadows moments before I fell and broke my leg.

Comment

Rich,

In reviewing my photo's and notes on the Digges Jacket, it seems that you have actually helped me with some discrepencies in my own notes.

1. The pieces put into the bottom, lower sides of the sleeves are actually leather and not a fabric.

2. As a correction to my notes, the fabric does appear to be cassimere from the photo's that Rich sent me. The fabric is woven with a very unusual, very thick yarn.

3. The museum tag does state that Digges was KIA in June of '63 however, it was explained to me that quite often the earlier tags are incorrect and information is based upon what the family provided at time of items donation. The time that I was provided by the museum was June-July of 1862.

When I looked at the jacket, I almost immediately lost interest in reproducing it. I could not do it for under $350.00 and the market would be very limited for it.

Oh, and Digges' Marl jeans cloth trousers do have a slight flare at the bottom, but not quite what I would think of as typical flower power bell bottoms of the 20th century.

I will be back in the vault sometime in January and will make a point of looking at the jacket again. I am interested in the lining fabric and would like to determine if it was domestically manufactured or may have been an import.
          Last edited by Richmond Depot; 12-06-2006, 06:51 AM. Reason: Add more info.
          Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
          PO BOX 4849
          Midlothian, VA 23112
          www.richmonddepot.com
          (804)305-2968

Comment

Working...
          X