Popular literature of the late 1850s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Popular literature of the late 1850s

So Beadle's Dime Novels were NOT the most popular books in the Army? Were they not passed from hand to hand until they literally fell apart? and did the military preachers not lambast them for their worldliness and lack of character building principles?

I understand this thread began by a request for a best seller listing. Therefore, I'm assuming the desire to portray a college or at least, well-read, individual with above average literary skills.

But where does that leave Beadle? Was he not a champion of the lesser, off-season student who could obtain satisfaction from the bigword-skipping nature of the novelist's prose? Did the newspapers even acknowledge his works? Are the abovementioned points accurate or mere folklore?
    Jack Booda

Comment

I have a degree in English Literature to compliment my History degree. My points are not mere folklore.

The dime novels were by far the most popular written works, but they are not now, nor were they ever LITERATURE. By your logic newspapers and magazines should be included in the discussion.

Comment

(From Ms Betts' post on winter quarters in the CW History folder)

In the SOUTHERN ILLUSTRATED NEWS, January 31, 1863 a correspondent describes his accommodations. Included is ...

"1 Table and Desk, the latter containing Macaulay's History of England, Vol. V.—Recreations of Christopher North—Army Regulations—Consuelo, by George Sand—Bragelonne, by the great Dumas—The Monk's Revenge—and several official papers...."
        Daniel Fodera
        Palmetto Living History Assoc

Comment

Dane, Look on e-bay under antiques/books & manuscripts. Better yet, haunt your local antique stores. I have hit a few bargains by doing the latter. There are some 'rare and antique' book sites on the web, but they tend to be pretty inflated price wise.

Originally posted by NY Pvt
          Does anyone have a site that I may be able to buy civil war era books? I've found sites but most sell modern out of print copies, to back to about the turn of the century.

Thanks!
          Fred Grogan
          Sykes' Regulars

Comment

Finding a book 140+ years old AND in new condition would definitely set you back. It would be a grand shame to have them damaged by reenacting wear and tear, sweat, the elements, etc.

It wouldn’t be that difficult to “de-farb” a modern copy of a publication that you really like. Binding techniques have not changed much, and you can remove (gasp) pages with the modern copyright dates, ISBN number, etc. Embossed covers were around, and even so was shiny gold inking. (I have an example that exhibits that characteristic that dates to 1822) However, it all depends on how far you want to go, considering period glue, 1800s paper, typeface, etc. Just a little food for thought.

Here’s a shameless plug for one of Southeast Michigan’s local treasures: ;)

Welcome to the website of John K. King Used & Rare Books

I go there almost weekly and always find more cool stuff than before. They have great turnaround time and they are always a pleasure for me to deal with. Prices are worth mentioning here, too.

Happy hunting!

I am in earnest,

Comment

Additional plug-John King Books has excellent service and is a wonderful place to kill an entire day (week..month...year..lifetime if you have enough food and water) if you are ever in Detroit. Their stock as related to mid 19th century America is very impressive. (Conveniently located next to the Greyhound station for all your layover time killing needs)
              Katie Vogel

Comment

Need to clarify some points for the sake of accuracy and authenticity.

Mr. Heaton: I was not questioning YOUR educational background, I was questioning the "First Person" that Eric Burke intends to portray. Would the depiction of a poorly educated Appalachian soldier (such as myself!) ever be found trying to read Beowulf? Would a West Point graduate be carrying a Dime Novel? Were Confederate soldiers allowed to read Uncle Tom's Cabin? What were the diffrerences between the Best Seller list of a New York and a New Orleans editorial?

Also, I'm questioning MY abovementioned points, not yours. Were Beadle's books really treated as "trash reading?" Are the true numbers of his books unknown because his clientele was generally poor and forced to beg-borrow volumes, instead of buying their own? In other words, has any competent literary historian conducted a serious reexamination of Mr. Beadle's results and contributions?

Lastly, could a reenactor ever go wrong with Beadlemania? :D
                Jack Booda

Comment

There's a three volume set of books entitled _The House of Beadle and Adams and its dime and nickel novels: The story of a vanished literature_, by Albert Johannsen, published by the University of Oklahoma Press, 1950-1962. I've looked through it once while tracking a particular author, but I don't recall any details to add to the current discussion. There are also articles in periodicals like _American History Illustrated_, _Wilson Library Bulletin_, and _Mankind_, just from a quick and dirty America: History & Life online search.

Vicki Betts
                  vbetts@gower.net

Comment

I believe the original question asked what a good period novel would be to carry. There was no reference to what was considered fine literature compared to pulp fiction. As such, I would think a Beadle's book would certainly be acceptable if one is portraying a soldier from a working class/farming background. Who knows, some of those well educated fellows might have read them also for a change of pace.

By the way, I have heard many old timers down South refer to just about anything printed as "literature" ; from a pamphlet/religious tract to advertising material for a product. I have often heard my grandfather tell someone to send him some "literature" on something he was considering purchasing. It's a matter of semantics I suppose.

Not trying to pick an argument, just stating facts from my part of the country.

I have dealt with Applewood Books and they have some pretty good products. It would be worth a visit to their website - I don't know it off-hand so you'll have to do a search. You might also try Dover books. They have quite a bit that deals with the period but I am not sure if they are accurate reproductions or new reprints.
                    Michael Comer
                    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Cooper?!

Don't forget the many popular works of the late James Fenimore Cooper (d. 1851) whose books were reprinted throughout the 1850s - so much so that Cooper spent many of his later years in legal battles over illegal reprintings by various journals. Popular many years before Capt. 'Hawkeye' Pierce & M*A*S*H.

Here is a small selected bibliography;

The Pioneers, 1823
                      The Pilot, 1824
                      The Last of the Mohicans, 1826
                      The Prairie, 1827
                      The Red Rover, 1827
                      The Bravo, 1831
                      The American Democrat, 1838
                      The Pathfinder, 1840
                      The Deerslayer, 1841
                      Wyandotte, 1843
                      The Redskins, 1846
                      The Sea Lions, 1849
                      The Ways of the Hour, 1850

His works were very popular and would have been to a degree common knowledge among youth in the pre-war era.
                      Last edited by RyanBWeddle; 12-30-2003, 05:25 PM.
                      Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
                      – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Mark Twain on Fenimore Cooper

If you love or hate James Fenimore Cooper's work, you will be in hysterics over Mark Twain's (very post war) essay about Cooper's depiction of Indians. Twain discusses things like "the Indian was trying to ambush the canal boat, intending to drop into it, and had set the ambush in a narrow stretch of the river where the boat could barely pass -- but does the Indian soundlessly fall into the boat, or leap into the boat or fall from a tree to the boat? After a page description, the blamed Indiana MISSES THE BOAT...." There is also Twains discussion of Cooper's Indian who was able to track a ball through the forest for several miles through the air. I've paraphrased Twain, but you get the idea. I recommend it.
                        Karin Timour
                        Domestic Arts and Honorable Trades Society
                        Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
                        Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

Working...
                        X