Been at this too long...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been at this too long...?

My wife brought home some gift wrapped items from a retail chain outfit called "Pottery Barn." The items were in gift boxes tied up in herringbone weave cotton twill that is exactly the correct stuff to use as sling material on fed bullseye canteens -- except for the "Pottery Barn" repeatedly printed on one side. Man, what a waste of fine twill! I paid several bucks a yard for the same stuff (minus the printing of course!) earlier this year. Go figure.

Happy New year folks!

K. Bartsch

Re: Been at this too long...?

You know you've been at this too long when she comes home with candles from the Yankee Candle Company, and she begs you to stop asking her why she never buys any from the Rebel Candle Company.
    [SIZE="4"][B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Eric Michael Burke[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [B][I][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SlateGray"]"BLACKJACK!"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
    [I][URL="http://www.saltriverrifles.com"]Salt River Rifles[/URL][/I]

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

[SIZE="1"][i][U][B][COLOR="DimGray"]In Proud Memorium:[/COLOR][/B][/U]
    [B]Pvt. James Swingler Chandler (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. H, 111th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. John D. Linthicum (4x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. F, 118th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. Martin Van Buren Straight (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. E, 23rd Missouri Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Cpl. Andreas Schoen (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. A, 30th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. Madison Burke (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Battery B, 1st Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery
    [B]Pvt. Eli Bell (4x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. C, 31st Alabama Infantry[/i][/SIZE]

Comment

You know you've been at this too long when you decide to do something different for New Year's, so you call up and make reservations at a fancy hotel, not caring about the dress code because you know you've got outfits for all occasions.

And then realize you've only got outfits for all 1860s occasions and may or may not still own a modern suit and tie.

Hank Trent
      hanktrent@voyager.net
      Hank Trent

Comment

You know youve been at this too long when you are sitting in the living room at your mother-in-laws house Xmas morning and your wifes aunt comes in wearing a white star on her lapel and the first thing you think is "12th Corp 2nd Div" and are then dissappointed when you get a closer look at it and it says "Merry X-Mas"
        I hope everyobody had one.
        Vive la Compagnie
        Charlie Spickler
        Co. I Mess
        CWPT Member

Comment

You know when you been at this too long, when your christmas wish list is nothing but Civil War related items, from both the husband and wife.
          Dusty Lind
          Running Discharge Mess
          Texas Rifles
          BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

You know you've been at this to long when youre' reading the "Been at this to long?" Thread :p

You know you've been at this to long when you sign your name as "Private so and so...In such and such unit" (Twice)

You know youve' been at this to long when your ideal view of a perfect weekend is sleeping in a mud pit wearing wool uniforms eating hardtack and onions

Andrew Stebbins
            Last edited by ; 12-29-2003, 08:47 AM.

Comment

....When you start thinking of ways to defarb the house! No electricity, running water. Your garage has no room for a car as the wagon is in it and another on saw horses in the back yard, you are more concerned with how to keep the horses and mules fed - before taking the car to get an oil change!
              Your neighbors start making comments on your conversion to the Amish way of life!!!

We are not that bad, but it is close!

Crabby
              Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
              John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Hey Keith--flip that bad printed twill over and see if the reverse is usable without "Pottery Barn" showing through ---- then stitch it doubled with the printed side facing in.

I've got some fine red "Victoria's Secret" satin ribbon remedied by the same method--and I'm NOT telling you gentlemen where I'm wearing it. :D
                Terre Hood Biederman
                Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Hank, don't worry, Mister often wears his period vest for modern outings. :-) Sometimes his period shoes, too.

Mister and I performed at some hoity-toity historical society gathering at this man's house... the original part of the house had been built in the 1790s or some such... anyhow, in a little nook in his kitchen sat a spinning wheel and a giant basket full of lovely white fleece. It was a decoration! I couldn't believe anyone would have such a great spinning setup just for lookin at!

Cheers---

Kim Caudell

Comment

I know the way to know beyond a shadow of a doubt you've been at this too long. If you see a very nice looking lady walking down the street in a mini skirt and you wonder how she would look in a hoop skirt and day dress it's time to seek professional help!!
                    Hope eveyone had a Merry Christmas and I wish you all the best for the New Year!
                    Steve

stevep51
                    51st OVI

Comment

You know you have been doing this to long when it's cold outside and you decide to wear your Chris Daley Columbus Depot jacket to school.

Your Pard
                      Aric Scott Bruggeworth
                      Cracker Line Guards Mess
                      Aric Bruggeworth
                      Liberty Guards

"I observed one wounded youth about sixteen years of age, who was crying, and stated the cause of his grief, "that General Lee always puts the Fifth Florida in the front." - Henry N. Blake, 11th Massachusetts Infantry at Gettysburg.

Comment

Do not know if this is a "Been in it too long" story? BUT......
                        Going to Christmas Eve Mass....it was cold......so I wore my "Hand Woven Scarf" by Miss Linda Hall from Zachery, LA........I got nearly as many complements at Mass than I did at TAG.

Comment

When they have your credit card information on file, or your set up for a speedy checkout.
                          Aka
                          Wm Green :D
                          Illegitimi non carborundum
                          (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
                          Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

You know you've been at this too long when the radio plays the opening notes of "O Tannanbaum", and the first words that pop into your mind is
                            "The Despot's Heel is on thy Shore, Maryland my Maryland..." (or for my Yankee friends whenever they hear "Jesus Loves the Little Children..." :D
                            Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                            Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                            Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                            Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                            Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

The family has a great deal of trouble buying me anything for any occasion.My favorite designer is Uncle Sam-all periods.My favorite stores(beside CW establishments) are surplus ones.I wear uniforms at work and years ago lost interest in clothes.No sweaters or ties please! The horse has churned the back of the property into mud,but it's all my wifes fault.About 10 years ago she bought me a new McClellan saddle and then wondered why I came home with a horse one day.
                              Currently waiting on a new mounted overcoat in civilian styl,a new Confederate frockcoat and a pair of braces.
                              Happy New Year and see you all on the Field.
                              Regards,Rick

Rick, please sign all posts with your full name - Mike Chapman
                              Last edited by dusty27; 01-01-2004, 10:00 AM.
                              Rick Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X