Rat Beatings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rat Beatings

Thought this was extremely interesting. I was reading The long lost journal of Confederate General James Johnston Pettigrew by Daniel F Bauer. This particular section stuck in my mind. What do you think?
    General Pettigrew had just finished his tour of Fort Fisher North Carolina, when he started talking to some of the soldiers at the Fort.
    "I am afraid this place is going to be very unhealthy this summer," one soldier told me. Another said, "The rats get into the cistern in such quantities that the water tastes and smells very strong of the little devils which every body knows is far from being pleasant."
    The scheme for tor the extermination of the rats originated with a sergeant of one the gun crews. The homes of the rats were first to be flooded and then, as they sought safety in flight, they were to be clubbed to death. Under the supervision of the sergeant, some twenty men volunteered to carry water in kettles from the ocean to the rat holes. It was a weary job; the ocean was fifty yards distant and gallon after gallon was emptied into the holes and all to no pupose.
    Finally, as the water bearers were losing heart and roughly berating the sergeant for conceiving such a ludicrous plan, a single rat presented himself and quickly fell before the unerring club of the man who stood nearest. The spirits of the exterminators revived.
    "More water! More water!" was the cry. More rats, more rats was the response. they came thick and fast, literally hordes of rats were abandoning their holes. Reinforcements were called for and, before the fray was over, one hundred men were engaged in battle.
    As the rats continued to dart from the holes, the blows were laid on hard and the battlefield was soon strewn with hundreds of the foul pests. The affair was completly successful. The enemy rountes and wholly exterminated, never to reappear. Those of little faith who mocked the originator of the plan now accorded him his just deserts and were eternally grateful.

:wink_smil
    Matt Garris

18th North Carolina
    Cape Fear Living History Society

Re: Rat Beatings

That is an awesome account. Let's re-enact that!
    Mitchell L Critel
    Wide Awake Groupie
    Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Originally posted by NC Reb View Post
      Thought this was extremely interesting. I was reading The long lost journal of Confederate General James Johnston Pettigrew by Daniel F Bauer. This particular section stuck in my mind. What do you think?
      General Pettigrew had just finished his tour of Fort Fisher North Carolina, when he started talking to some of the soldiers at the Fort.
      "I am afraid this place is going to be very unhealthy this summer," one soldier told me. Another said, "The rats get into the cistern in such quantities that the water tastes and smells very strong of the little devils which every body knows is far from being pleasant."
      The scheme for tor the extermination of the rats originated with a sergeant of one the gun crews. The homes of the rats were first to be flooded and then, as they sought safety in flight, they were to be clubbed to death. Under the supervision of the sergeant, some twenty men volunteered to carry water in kettles from the ocean to the rat holes. It was a weary job; the ocean was fifty yards distant and gallon after gallon was emptied into the holes and all to no pupose.
      Finally, as the water bearers were losing heart and roughly berating the sergeant for conceiving such a ludicrous plan, a single rat presented himself and quickly fell before the unerring club of the man who stood nearest. The spirits of the exterminators revived.
      "More water! More water!" was the cry. More rats, more rats was the response. they came thick and fast, literally hordes of rats were abandoning their holes. Reinforcements were called for and, before the fray was over, one hundred men were engaged in battle.
      As the rats continued to dart from the holes, the blows were laid on hard and the battlefield was soon strewn with hundreds of the foul pests. The affair was completly successful. The enemy rountes and wholly exterminated, never to reappear. Those of little faith who mocked the originator of the plan now accorded him his just deserts and were eternally grateful.

:wink_smil
      Cool Post!
      Try that today and some idiot animal rights moron would be all over you in a heart beat! Some guy in NYC got arrested for just such a thing a few years back.
      [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Tod Lane[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by KyCavMajor View Post
        Cool Post!
        Try that today and some idiot animal rights moron would be all over you in a heart beat! Some guy in NYC got arrested for just such a thing a few years back.
        Feh. It happens hundreds of times every day in the subway. I saw a rat get nailed as the downtown 4 came into the 86th St. station last Saturday. The train, however, survived.
        Last edited by ThehosGendar; 11-10-2006, 11:35 PM. Reason: Added additional humourous content.
        Jason R. Wickersty
        http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
        Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
        Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
        Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
        Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Now that is a living history that everyone would enjoy and remember for a long time, both reenactor and spectator. Just think of the proceeds that could be donated to preservation. Club a rat and preserve our heritage!
          David Parent

The Cracker Mess
          MLK Mess
          Black Hat Boys
          WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

Already been done. Wish you'd been there to help.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Chawls,

Somebody promised me some cured pelts from that foray.

Where are they? Winter's beginning to come in down here......
              Terre Hood Biederman
              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
              Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Nope. Wrong rat killing party.

That was 14 summers ago.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Mitch,
                  Remember the squirrel stew last January at Mansfield? Well, t'weren't squirrel!:)
                  Tom Yearby
                  Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Nor was it at Vicksburg Caves a few years back Uncle Tom. Excellent with peas.

I believe it was the indomitable Mrs. Yates who gave the most famous receipt--I cannot search out the quote today, despite trying,( for I am never any good at searches and must always spend a day in the library when those more versed can produce such in minutes) but the instruction is given to clean and flay the rat, attach it to a board, and roast in the same manner as a canvasback duck.

Still, some fellers, somewhere, a year or so back promised me some pelts for mitts and sabot lining. Obviously not Chawls.......though I will refrain from speculating that he is now past the age of going rat hunting, :wink_smil for that would mean I am past the age of wearing such.....
                    Terre Hood Biederman
                    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Rat on a board... is that something like salmon on a cedar plank? And for dessert, some strawberry tart (of course, with some rat in it)!
                      Last edited by ThehosGendar; 11-13-2006, 06:39 PM.
                      Jason R. Wickersty
                      http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
                      Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
                      Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
                      Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
                      Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Ther goes the eco system
                        Burt Page
                        Salt River Rifles/75th OVI

Comment

Ahh, we in the Navy approach from another tack. We simply send word around that the torpedoes are about thick and fast, and the ship will be sinking soon. The rats know of it almost immediately, and politely go overboard (much like this thread). And we simply won't allow rat tart aboard (at least not for the officers).
                          [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=4][FONT=Verdana]Bob Dispenza[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=Navy]US Naval Landing Party ([url]www.usnlp.org)[/url][/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=SeaGreen]Navy and Marine Living History Association ([url]www.navyandmarine.org)[/url][/COLOR]

"The publick give credit for feat of arms, but the courage which is required for them, cannot compare with that which is needed to bear patiently, not only the thousand annoyances but the total absence of everything that makes life pleasant and even worth living." - Lt. Percival Drayton, on naval blockade duty.

"We have drawn the Spencer Repeating Rifle. It is a 7 shooter, & a beautiful little gun. They are charged to us at $30.00. 15 of which we have to pay."
                          William Clark Allen, Company K, 72nd Indiana Volunteers, May 17, 1863

Comment

I remember an illustrated diary of a C.S. prisoner at Point Lookout (I belive it was in the Life/Time series) illustrating the catching, skinning and cooking of rats. (I think there was also an illustration as well of an unlucky reb's encounter w/ a lobster as well)

"No rats were harmed in the posting of this reply"
                            Last edited by tomarch; 11-20-2006, 04:45 PM. Reason: thought of something else
                            Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                            Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                            Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                            Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                            Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

W.H. Andrews in Footprints of a Regiment describes the First Georgia Regulars killing and eating rats. I think it was in winter quarters on Whitmarsh Island near Savannah, winter of '64-65. They'd dig them out of their holes along the trees each morning and club them, and cook them in a variety of ways.

Hank Trent
                              hanktrent@voyager.net
                              Hank Trent

Comment

Working...
                              X