Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anniversary of the Battle of Franklin

Dear Fellers ,
    Today , November 30th , is the anniversary of the Battle of Franklin . I just finished reading Howard Bahr's novel "The Judas Field " , which deals with the battle and I am always amazed that a ten hour drive from Chicago is the site of the biggest bloodbath on the continent.
    All for the old flag,
    David Corbett
    Dave Corbett

Re: Anniversary of the Battle of Franklin

Yes, 142 years ago,at this time,4:20pm, the men in grey marched through our back yard heading north towards the Cartrer House.

A candle is burning in the window in memory of the men who fought in one of the war's bloodiest battles.
    Carrie Craddock

Comment

I drive through Franklin almost every week on my Buford GA, Birmingham, Nashville and back route, and I am always so very tempted to pull that 30' truck over. I hate schedules:baring_te . I am always sure to remove my hat when I pass the signage for the Battle of Franklin, sad to say its all I can do while working. Took time today to stop and remember the Boys, and remember why we do what we do, because of what they DID.
      Robert W. Hughes
      Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
      Thrasher Mess
      Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
      ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
      Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
      And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Just in case you are in the area this weekend, a contingent of the 33rd Alabama Infantry will be braving the cold to conduct a living history at the Carter House.
        Drop by and give 'em some encouragement. A little "medicine" might lift their spirit as well and ward off the cold, for a while.

AWRedd
        Andy Redd

Comment

Though it has been a few years since I've been there (its a loong way from Cali) I have visited Franklin a fair number of times and I can never get out of there with out crying. I feel a bit foolish but I am always overcome there and usually have to make an excuse to go out to the car or something as its just to much. The Carter house & yard, the surrounding land, is just mournful to me. I feel like screaming at JBH's ghost, I had the same experiance at the Somme in France too. Glad someone posted a reminder for us of this day...

Ted Parrott
          Edward Anthony Parrott
          "Humbug"

Comment

Working...
          X