Interesting Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Stories

Thought this would be a interesting conversation starter.
    What is the funniest, oddest, wierdest or most interesting thing that has happened to you while you were wearing the clothes of a person from the 1860s? :tounge_sm
    Matt Garris

18th North Carolina
    Cape Fear Living History Society

Re: Interesting Stories

Heres one,

Myself, Tyler Delgregg and Bill Reagan were going out to supper after an event at Cold Harbor. We were still in period attire when we ate. When we got up to leave, one of our pards went to look in a store window next to the restaurant. While our pard was looking through the window at the stores wares, another shopper came out of the store with a bag full of his purchases. The man looked at our pard as he walked past him but kept walking toward his car. He took a few more steps, hesitated and then turned around, reached in his bag and gave our pard a brand new shirt. If I remember it right he said, "Looks like you could use this."

When pard retold this story to us at the car and then presented the shirt, I knew right then, pard had the achieved the look.

Rick Atwood
    Rick Atwood
    23rd Reg't
    Va. Vol. Infy

Comment

Originally posted by NC Reb View Post
      Thought this would be a interesting conversation starter.
      What is the funniest, oddest, wierdest or most interesting thing that has happened to you while you were wearing the clothes of a person from the 1860s? :tounge_sm
      A few years ago, I was watching dress parade, wearing my best day dress and holding a black parasol to shield my face from the sun. A little girl, pulling her mom by the hand, hurried towards me and said to her mother, "Take my picture with Mary Poppins!"

Elizabeth Topping
      Elizabeth Topping
      Columbus, Ohio

Comment

It happened at my first event and I must admit, it was a mainstream event, but I didn't know better at that time. The fellows I was with told me I needed some yankee britches so I could galvanize. I ask them what galvanizing meant fearing it might be some ritual for new recruits but they assured me it mean playing yankee, so I said ok but I didn't have much money to buy yankee britches. They told me not to worry, for they had a pair for sell cheap and commenced to pull a very dirty and worn pair of yankee britches out of a box. I said how much and they said $8 and I said I only had $5 and they said "sold." So, I put on the yankee britches and they road pretty tight and were high waters and they were laughing and I thought it was because they looked kind of funny on me. Later they told me the reason they were laughing was because the last time those yankee britches had been worn were when one of the fellows good drunk and fell into the sinks wearing them. Of course, they hadn't been cleaned since then. I still have those yankee britches.
        Joaquin Negras
        28th Louisiana

Comment

I recall huddling beneath an overhang on a out-of-business topless club on the outskirts of Port Gibson with Joaquin and about 20 other fellows.

This was after we awoke in the middle of the night, saw the horizon flashing with lightning and as the event had been called, we knew we could either stay in the open and take it or attempt to make it back to town. Guided at first by candle light and then by lightning, we eventually crammed under the entrace to said establishment and let the rain pass. Heck of a storm, as most of the Federals holed up in the historic homestead down the road could attest to as well.

Other funny stories involve Pig Pen McCoslin and the gum that he always manages to sit in at events.

Regards,
          Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Senoir Baker,
            I too recall the night of great rains and the blue building, but I was cetain it was not out of business, just closed for the night. But, memory fails me as that was long ago and across the big river which if I should cross again I would certainly be turned into a big habanero pepper and be sent to meet El Diablo. As for this Pig Pen fellow and his gum, I have heard of this from some youngster that met him once at Mansfield and vowed never to enter the dark woods again even if accompanied by a preacher. I look forward to Banks Retreat and renewing of old friendships.
            Joaquin Negras
            28th Louisiana

Comment

Yes Jaoquin,

I will tote the canteen of whiskey and we can think back to old times not forgotten.

Like when Shangaloo Rison came at you with a Bowie knife at the 141st Mark's Mill event. Or when Fingers drove to Mansfield from Blytheville, Ark to dig a couple pine seedlings and quitely vanished into the night. Or of when Shangaloo Sean surfed the fire at Prairie Grove.

Banks' Grand Retreat will indeed be good and it'll be good to have fellows like you in the ranks. Tragically, no topless clubs are to be found in the howling woods of the Kistatchie Ranger District.

Counting the days...
              Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Effe Baker,
                I called 1st Sergeant Whitsitne of the 19th Louisiana, the unit I was in at the time of the gum saga. Sergeant Whitstine dates back to the 125th Manassas which he attended when he was 15, thus has seen many things in the years of reenacting. The saga of the gum sticks out in his mind and this is the story he retold to me.

The 19th Louisiana, unknown to the 15th Texas (aka The Texas Ground Hornets) were to hold a muster at Mansfield. Sergeant Whitstine living in the far south region of Louisiana had to first spend time doing some carpentry work and thus did not arrive at Mansfield until early afternoon on that Saturday. As he pulled into the parking lot, three of his young privates came running from the woods, terror on their faces and their heavy south Louisiana accents heavy with a story that many things had happen in those dark woods surrounding Mansfield. One told him that the man called Pig Pen had thrown all the contents of their haversacks out and said that the contents were all farby. One had the horror story that his frock was made from the wrong material. Another related the saga of the gum. It seems this Pig Pen fellow sat with legs spread, and pointed to a little piece of bubble gum stuck to his trousers and upon closer examination the gum turned out to be actually flesh. The horror of it all had sent a preacher and his son running leaving the three youngsters aghast in the dark woods of Mansfield surrounded by the fiendish Texas Ground Hornets and their dauntless Leader For Life, Pig Pen. Sergeant Whitstine, being a fairly easy going fellow, calmed the boys and assured him that if they lived long enough they would indeed see and experience worse. Upon entering the woods and exchanging greetings with the members of the 15th Texas ,he sat to boil coffee, when a big Ox of a fellow with three stripes on his sleeve came and ordered 1st Sergeant Whitstine that he was to be sent out on picket duty. At which time the easy going 1st Sergeant corrected the three stripe sergeant in military protocol which said a buck sergeant never sends a 1st Sergeant out on picket duty. Later, so the story goes, the two groups journey across the road for a nights bivouac and 1st Sergeant Whitstine was informed by the Pig Pen fellow that first person would be maintained or the the bag of shame must be carried by one who broke the code. Again, 1st Sergeant Whitstine, being an easy going sorts, informed Mr. Pig Pen that he came to boil coffee and didn’t come to act and the two units camped separately near a little pond. To make the story complete, according to 1st Sergeant Whitstine, a member of the 15th Texas in black face was bucked and gagged and thrown naked into the pond thus spoiling the only drinkable water around. I wasn’t there but I trust 1st Sergeant Whitstine’s account of the incident.
                Joaquin Negras
                28th Louisiana

Comment

I thought that fellow was already accompanied by a preacher? Didn't both of them skeddadle in the middle of the night, leaving only a sock?
                  Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

I recall an event in North Georgia a few years ago. Our company was directed to post sentries for the batallion area. Two of our lads asked the Captain if they needed to be fully accoutred in full marching order. The Captain, thinking there was no need for knapsacks, bedrolls etc replied, "No, leathers only." A short time later, in the fading light of late afternoon, we espied our two privates smartly walking their posts, in leathers only.....brogans, cartridge boxes, belts, canteens, muskets, hats....and nothing else. Ghastly, and a good reason for not allowing women in military camps.
                    AWRedd

P.S. I suppose this is a bit off topic, as I was wearing 1860s apparel and the sentries were not wearing 1860s apparel, but I digress.
                    Last edited by reddcorp; 12-06-2006, 10:17 AM.
                    Andy Redd

Comment

I got asked to be in a fashion show at one event.

Bathing in the Delaware River while tourists tubed down it gawking us was interesting as well.
                      Gregory Randazzo

Gawdawful Mess http://www.gawdawfulmess.com
                      John Brizzay Mess
                      SkillyGalee Mess
                      http://skillygalee-mess.blogspot.com/

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

“These people delight to destroy the weak and those who can make no defense; it suits them.” R.E. Lee referring to the Federal Army.

Comment

I'll reply on behalf of a Private in the 13th NJVI who I do no believe has account. Each year my unit does the NYC St. Patrick's Day parade as the Irish Brigade Honor Guard. Anyone who has been in the city on St. Patrick's day can tell you that the city's best and brightest are nowhere in sight. Mike went into a McDonald's to relieve himself and with all the urinals occupied went into one of the stalls. Into his stall bust in two well oiled young ladies too impatient to wait in line in the ladies room. They tell Mike not to pay them any mind and to feel free to finish up. Mike did not hesitate to mention their wandering eyes. They then ask him to stay in the stall and "guard" the door as they both relieve themselves with no regard for where innocent Michael's eyes may roam;) . BS or fact I'll let you decide. Must say I am rather envious.
                        Cheers,
                        John Turvey
                        69th NYSV CO. A
                        Irish Brigade

Comment

I was doing a living history at Montgomery Cemetery a few years ago. My dad, my friend Gerry, and I went to the local WaWa (I know I know) and soem guy asked us if we were at the "rally down at the park". We had absolutely no idea what he was talking about so yes just smiled and said "yeah". Well out of nowhere the guy says "So you're with the KKK?"

And of course we were'nt. Pretty surprising thing though. Considering the guy infront of us was a 6'10" 350 pound black guy.
                          Patrick Rooney

Comment

I once had a guy in a rib joint refuse to sell me a beer--not because I didn't have ID because I'm clearly over 30 but because "the Amish don't drink".

Whenever we do a parade, I keep several Sacagawea $1 coins in my pocket, in case I need to buy something like bottled water to fill a canteen, or food afterward. One store clerk irately asked me if I had any "real money" to pay with, though she probably would have asked that regardless of what I was wearing. The $1 coin just gets no respect.
                            Michael McComas
                            drudge-errant

Comment

In 04 I did the Morgan's raid ride through Ohio. As we entered a town after some 50 or 60 mles the local women we lined up along the road handing out treats.
                              One kindly woman approached me carrying a freshly baked cherry pie. Now my horse, Indy, is a very well behaved critter, normally his manners are impecable, but as she appraoched he thrust his head out and would not let her approach me. He wasn't baring his teeth or exhibiting really threatening behavior.
                              He kept kind of looking back at me, and then her, as to say "Look at his big behind, I have been carrying it for the last thousand miles or so, and you want to give HIM a PIE!" My Sarg noticed his behavior and yelled to the fair maiden, "Perhaps a salad for the Major?":cry_smile
                              [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Tod Lane[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X