Paint Removal Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Removal Question

I have a tin cannister that I need to get modern paint off of. Does anyone have reccomendations? It's about 1/2" shy of a tobacco tin that I have a picture of, but I've never seen anyone reproduce it. When I saw this cocoa tin, I bought it, gave my wife the contents, and have spent a few maddening hours with dremel tool/steel wool, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Kind Regards,
    Andrew Jerram

Re: Paint Removal Question

I've used Citri-Strip (sp?) successfully on a variety of surfaces. Check your hardware store for the citrus strippers and read the label carefully to make sure the one you select can be used on metal. They work a lot better for me than the older, and much smellier, kind.

--Becky Morgan
    Becky Morgan

Comment

Re: Paint Removal Question

Originally posted by Becky Morgan View Post
      I've used Citri-Strip (sp?) successfully on a variety of surfaces. Check your hardware store for the citrus strippers and read the label carefully to make sure the one you select can be used on metal. They work a lot better for me than the older, and much smellier, kind.

--Becky Morgan
      I'd second that! I used it to strip some modern enamel paint from my wood silver bath box with the Citri-Strip, and it worked great. I left it to set in for about 20 minutes (though I'm not sure if that's what you're supposed to do), and the paint came off with no problem.

I just suggest doing it outside still... even though it smells like a giant orange, it'll still make you loopy. Also the fact that it's not non-toxic makes me feel better about using it, too.

However, I'm not sure it works on tin, especially if it's oil paint on japanned tinware. I'll have to ask Annie about that. She's the tinsmith of the family!
      Last edited by ThehosGendar; 12-04-2006, 09:55 PM.
      Jason R. Wickersty
      http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
      Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
      Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
      Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
      Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Working...
      X