Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Historical Interpretation by Reenactors"

Good thread.

These ideas and comments I must keep in mind around the sometimes painfully un-authentic appearance, attitude or mis-information of some fellow reenactors. It is MY appearance and attitude that will make a difference for those encountering me, and that is what I must see as worthwhile. As visitors arrive in camp I try to be in proximity to those fellow reenactors that want to portray authentic, to keep from be drawn into joking around too much and letting the farb slip out - it's too easy. Campaign events are better in that respect but I wouldn't have much of a season in this area if I limited participation to those.

I never know though when I should be speaking in colloquial (period) speech and mannerisms. Generally not in community or classroom presentations I suppose. What do others here do?

- Dan Wykes
    Danny Wykes

Comment

Re: "Historical Interpretation by Reenactors"

Dan,

It sort of depends on what the site owner desires, too. For example, at a lot of NPS living histories I've attended, the NPS typically instructs volunteers (i.e., reenactors) to NOT use first-person impression, because it tends to confuse park visitors. On the other hand, if you're at a reenactment and everyone else in your camp is in first-person, my advice is to use first-person in that situation to engage in interpretation for spectators.

As for what you do when seemingly others around you are farbing out, well, that's also a case-by-case type of thing. Interpretation techniques and good portrayals are not necessarily one and the same, although most folks will probably agree that a good physical portrayal is a darn good first-step at good interpretation. However, it's not the ONLY thing, and heavens knows most of us have encountered enough "well-kitted farbs" over the years. Good interpretation involves having good knowledge of the topic you're discussing, and good skills to interact with your audience (well spoken, and being able to 'see' your audience to engage them in a manner that suits them--in other words, tailor your presentation to the audience rather than hitting "rewind-play"), and applying some proven interpretive techniques to "provoke" and bring out the interest in the subject by the spectator/visitor.

Comment

Working...
      X