US Pattern Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Pattern Book

Is anyone familar with the "US Pattern Book" that is floating around out there? I have a well used copy of Confederate Sketchbook, and wondered how the quality of this other document compares.
    Thanks,
    Lindsey Brown
    Pat Brown

Re: US Pattern Book

Out-dated, poorly researched, bad patterns, etc., etc, ad nauseum.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Are there any good alternatives, on par with Confederate Sketchbook? I have a Quartermaster's manual, which is a wealth of information, but not quite as handy a reference as the Sketchbook.

Cheers,

Michael
      Michael McComas
      drudge-errant

Comment

Michael,
        An even better question!
        Lindsey
        Pat Brown

Comment

My suggestion is to order a copy of The Columbia Rifles Research Compendium (second edition). It contains detailed information about Federal uniforms and equipment (including some drawings and photographs.

The Watchdog (an AC approved vendor) is taking pre-publication orders. Details can be found in posts at the AC vendor section, or contact me at thedog@watchdogreview.com.

Comment

Originally posted by brown View Post
            Is anyone familar with the "US Pattern Book" that is floating around out there? I have a well used copy of Confederate Sketchbook, and wondered how the quality of this other document compares.
            Lindsey,

Glad to see you posted this in The Sinks.

Bill, Scott, and Jonah Begone gave you excellent advice. Since the latter writes in invisible ink, let me translate, "Run away! Run away!"

That being said, if you want a copy just for the sake of owning one, the title is:

U.S. Pattern Book: Patterns for the U.S. Fatigue Uniform 1861-1865, authored by Patricia T. Gibbs, published by Historians Unlimited, Fredericksburg, VA, Copyright 1980. The copyright is actually owned by Amazon Vinegar & Pickling Works Drygoods, Ltd., but I am not sure if they are still in business. Their addy was Amazon Drygoods, 2218 East Eleventh Street, Davenport IA 52803-3760, give or take a few floods. The booklet is approximately 60 pages. It does not have the same wonderful level of faux Eric Sloane artwork as did A Confederate Sketchbook by Michael Thomas.

If you follow the directions well, then you'd achieve a good reproduction of a circa 1980 skinner row grade uniform item. In the past 26 years, a good number of folks have researched, and applied that research to create far better reproductions of the gear worn 1861-1865.

Put your $ towards a CRRC2.
            Last edited by Charles Heath; 12-19-2006, 09:13 AM. Reason: More coffee is not going to help my spelling today
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Working...
            X