Cool New TV Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool New TV Show

This was on the Travel Channel last night. Its a new show and next Tues. they will be diggin' for Civil War artifacts. Last night, they dug meteorites and gems. Really cool stuff.

Do you love the idea of striking it rich, but don’t know where to look?

On Best Places to Find Cash and Treasures we’ll explore the riches that are all around us. Each week host Becky Worley takes viewers on an exciting, fun-filled journey to uncover lost relics, buried jewels and other valuable items — at real locations that are accessible to the public. In pursuit of each treasure, Becky brings viewers along as she turns up unexpected finds. How much are these treasures worth? Find out when certified appraisers price them in our final "Show Me the Money!" reveal.
    Jerry Holmes
    28th GA. Inf
    65th GA. Inf (GGG-Grandfather)

Re: Cool New TV Show

Oh Boy! Hope this doesn't lead to a bunch of yokels sneaking onto battlefields to dig up some 'treasure' in hopes of striking it rich. Do they at least document and record where they find stuff? Probably not huh?
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Based on what I just read we need to ready for indescriminate digging in civil war battlefields. The bio describes the equipment needed and where to find the relics. The teasure depot is the one who took these individuals digging. I think maybe we need to voice our feelings to the treasure depot.
      Dave Prince
      a.k.a. Sam Billingsley
      4th Tx. Co.E
      Dave Prince

Comment

There was a guy digging $100,000.00 meteorites on last night. All they said, "In a field in Kansas" Most any type of hunter ain't gonna' give up the sweet spots. Hopefully, they will remind everyone about not digging on NPS land.

I am of the opinion though....that these items are not doing anyone any good in the ground. Even if a digger finds a belt buckle, buttons, etc...and sells them for a profit. They will be in the hands of someone that appreciates them. I had rather the items be out of the ground and on display or for sale.
        Jerry Holmes
        28th GA. Inf
        65th GA. Inf (GGG-Grandfather)

Comment

I am of the opinion though....that these items are not doing anyone any good in the ground. Even if a digger finds a belt buckle, buttons, etc...and sells them for a profit. They will be in the hands of someone that appreciates them. I had rather the items be out of the ground and on display or for sale
          We certainly would not have as much knowledge about things if it wasn't for dug artifacts. But just digging items to make a buck isn't worth much to anyone except the digger. Where would we be in this hobby if that's the way everyone operated?

I would disagree that they are doing no one any good in the ground. They certainly do us a lot of good in helping tell the story of what happened at a particular place. If they are just pulled out of the earth for a quick buck, there is a lot of information that is lost. The whole context of its existence is skewed and valuable information about place is lost. That is why it is so important to document where things are found and in what context.

If you just see an item in a case at a show or a dealer and all you know is that it is dug, what does that tell you? Not much except that it is that item. But, when you have the knowledge of where it came from then you can tie in the people that used it.

That's one of the things I think many forget when dealing with artifacts. They also represent real people who really lived and used the item in question.

A button is fine but knowing that it came from the 3rd LA redan at Vicksburg for example, sure makes it better and having it documented as to where in that location it came from and how it was positioned etc. can tell us a lot more.

So yeah, those items do a heck of a lot of good being in the ground because they are a wealth of information waiting to be found.
          Michael Comer
          one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
          X