Christmas Customs during the Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Customs during the Civil War

For anybody wanting to know what were the common Christmas customs at the time of the Civil War, take this hyper link. It will take you to a research article I wrote on them a number of years ago.

John Wedeward

http://www.33wis.com/articles/pdf/Ci...%20Customs.pdf
    John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
    The Hard Head Mess
    The Old Northwest Volunteers
    5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
    Civil War Battlefield Preservation
    Sons of American Revolution
    Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry
    Cpl. Arnold Rader, Co. C, 46th Illinois Vol. Infantry
    Brigadier Gen. John Fellows, 21st Continental Regiment

Re: Christmas Customs during the Civil War

Here's one I wrote years ago (and also I guess recently syndicatoed to the NYC weekly, The Irish Emigrant, December 4, 2006 edition) about Irish troops celebrating Christmas in the field during the Civil War:

Comment

Great articles.

Thank you,
      [FONT="Georgia"]Casimer Rosiecki[/FONT]

Comment

Dear Kevin ,
        Don't like to sound like a No -Nothing but aren't you the great one for the Holy Water etc.
        all for the old flag ,
        David Corbett
        Last edited by Jubilo; 12-23-2006, 11:00 PM.
        Dave Corbett

Comment

And that means?
          Jeff Henion
          Columbia Rifles

Comment

Dear Sir ,
            No disrespect meant . Kevin's article just a bit heavy on the Holy Roman Catholic Church -----or else . It's always the "or else " that causes one to pause and reflect. There was a recent blog that there were more Protestants than Catholics in the Irish Brigade but it sounds apocryphal . No need for a flame war ; just want Kevin to know that his posts are read.
            all for the old flag,
            David Corbett
            Dave Corbett

Comment

Hmmmm, Mr. Wewards article interests me alot. I will share this article with my group and fellow friends of the hobby. I think im going to begin doing some of those customs myself on christmas every year, add a little living history flare to my holidays.
              Pvt/Cpl. Roy James Brown
              [SIZE="2"]1st Michigan Engineers Co. E, Grand Rapids Boys (Franklin Shaw) Discharged[/SIZE]
              [SIZE="2"]36th Illinois Infantry Co. B, Prodigal Sons Mess (Henry Alcott) Discharged[/SIZE]

[I]Cowards die many times before their deaths;
              The valiant never taste of death but once.[/I]-Julius Caesar, William Shakspeare

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Since we are on the subject of Christmas and the American Civil War, thought I would share a few cartoons I came across from the period.

The first is a Thomas Nast cartoon from 1863 originally published in Harper's Weekly, now courtesy of the Library of Congress.

The second was originally published in 1852 in the Brother Jonathan Newspaper (reprinted by Shuman Heritage Printing Co. of York PA) and shows how some Americans viewed Christmas in the 19th. c.

Hope you enjoy and may all of you have a Happy, Healthy & of course Merry Christmas!!!

For more cartoons from the 19th c. you can go to http://www.sonofthesouth.net/Original_Santa_Claus.htm
                Attached Files
                Pvt Rich Schultz
                6th NHV, Co. C
                Clifton Lodge #203 F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by Jubilo View Post
                  Kevin's article just a bit heavy on the Holy Roman Catholic Church -----or else . It's always the "or else " that causes one to pause and reflect. There was a recent blog that there were more Protestants than Catholics in the Irish Brigade but it sounds apocryphal .

I don't think Sparky Henion was "flaming"--just asking about the holy-roller-type comment. :)

The article is heavy on religious observances on Christmas because the sources I consulted during my research of that (and other) articles indicates that religion and attending Mass was an extremely important part of how Irish-Catholic soldiers, particularly in Irish regiments, observed religious holidays such as Christmas and St. Patrick's Day, among others. We're probably a bit more secular today than folks were in the 1860s.

As for the comments (I've seen some too) that certain Irish regiments were more Protestant than Catholic, to that I say "hogwash". The vast majority of Irish immigrants in this country at the time of the Civil War were Catholics and virtually all the first-person accounts I've come across from Irish and Irish-American soldiers during the Civil War indicates a heavy preponderance of Catholics in the ranks. Certainly there were some Protestant Irish; in fact, my favorite memoir by an Irish soldier in the Union army (My Life in the Irish Brigade by William McCarter, 116th Pennsylvania (Kevin E. O'Brien, ed.), Savas Publishing 1996) is by a Protestant-Irish immigrant, who in one part of the book asserts that the Irish Brigade had more Protestants than Catholics. That's one of the only places I've seen such an assertion in a first-person account, and the fact that most "Irish" regiments had Catholic chaplains is perhaps Exhibit 1 about the religious affiliation of the majority of the soldiers in those regiments. Frankly, Catholic priests as chaplains were rare things (see books such as Memoirs of Chaplain Life by Fr. William Corby, CSC, and Faith in the Fight, by John Brinsfield, Ben Maryniak, et. al., Stackpole 2003).

Merry Christmas! :)

Comment

Not every Christmas was pleasant for those "awaiting word."

This quote drawn from Geo. C. Rable's essay in editor Gary Gallagher's book entitled The Fredericksburg Campaign: Decision on the Rappahannock sets a somber tone for one family during Christmas 1862:

"Aside from the many families in mourning, there were cruel anomalies. In the absence of information about the missing and captured, the fear that a loved one had been rudely thrown into an unmarked grave heightened the anxiety. And there was alwasys the unreliability of early reports. In Madison Parish, Louisiana, Kate Stone learned that a Lieutenant Stone--not related to her family--had been killed at Fredericksburg. On Christmas morning and elderly neighbor informed the family that this Lieutenant Stone was in fact Kate's brother. Her mother collapsed with grief, but one of the family managed to find a newspaper that confirmed the earlier account. Despite an obvious sense of relief, the Christmas celebration was ruined, and they later learned that their boy had been slightly wounded after all."
                    Source: The Journal of Kate Stone, 1861-1878, ed. by John Q. Anderson.
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Working...
                    X