Rusty original Enfield Bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty original Enfield Bayonet

I know I am going to regret posting this, but here goes - I just stumbled onto a major bargain = An original Enfield bayonet with '1862' stamped on it - it has a functional lock, and fits my repop, so I want to use it in my kit. Problem is, it is quite rusty.
    I am curious as to collective ideas regarding how to remove the rust without seriously damaging my $15.00 gem...Don't bother suggesting the "blue remover" stuff sold by Wal Mart etc. as I understand that solution is not good for period iron products. Would appreciate hearing any time proven hints.

Regards,

Phil "The Grinch" Hatfield
    Phil Hatfield

Re: Rusty original Enfield Bayonet

Phil,

I came across this thread using the search function. It might have some useful info to answer your question:

Rust removal from a worthy Lorenz

Eric
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Re: Rusty original Enfield Bayonet

First you need to determine if it is pitted. You cannot easily remove pits without removing metal. If it is pitted, keep it as a relic.

If it is surface rust, mechanically remove it. Try brushing it with an extra FINE wire wheel on a power grinder. That should remove most of the rust. You may have to do some finishing on it to get the shine back. You could also stick it repeatly in the ground until the rust is removed from most of the blade and then brush the rest with the wire wheel.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
      X