Stars and Stripes, Vol 1 No 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stars and Stripes, Vol 1 No 1

It always amazes me the small things you find out. A buddy of mine just came back from MO, and brought with him a small copy of Vol 1, No 1 of Stars and Stripes, dated Nov 9, 1861. Apparently 10 Suckers used the presses of the Bloomfield Herald to start a paper named for the American flag, that has become the newspaper for troops overseas.....another bit on the continuing legacy of The War Between the States.
    Robert W. Hughes
    Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
    Thrasher Mess
    Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
    ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
    Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
    And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Re: Stars and Stripes, Vol 1 No 1

He probably visited the Stars and Stripes Museum - an undertaking done by some dedicated individuals and groups. It is located in Bloomfield where the first paper was printed. One of the denizens of this board was employed there for a while - I'm not sure what his connection is now since he is teaching in the public school system. But, perhaps he will chime in and give more detailed info about that undertaking.

I have been to the facility several times since it is within an hour's drive of me. They have done a fine job and have a pretty nice collection of military items ranging from the CW to the conflicts of today. I am sure they could use any financial help that members might be willing to send their way. Maybe Paul will see this and give that info also.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Time for Skulker John to post the infamous photo, as if on cue. :)
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

How do you define infamous....

We'll see if Geocities is working tonight...

Here's some info, typos probably mine, from an event 100 years ago or so.
        (This was the second time we reenacted the printing. It was coordinated with a modern Stripers reunion.)

John Pillers

- - - -

Marching On Bloomfield

"Official Reports"

There following are official reports related to the Bloomfield expedition of November 1861. They include those of Col. Richard J. Oglesby, commanding the column from Bird's Point to Bloomfield (via Commerce); Brig. Gen. U.S. Grant; Col. N. Perczel, commanding the column from Cape Girardeau to Bloomfield; and M. Jeff Thompson, Missouri State Guard encamped at Bloomfield. Some reports are after-action, others are orders prior to the march.

HEADQUARTERS DISTRICT SOUTHEAST MISSOURI
        Cairo, November 2, 1861.

• COLONEL: A dispatch just received requires me to send a force to the Saint Francois River to destroy rebels congregated there. I have determined to give you the command, and will require your regiment and three companies of cavalry from Bird's Point to prepare for as early a move to-morrow as practicable. The balance of your command will be sent from this side of the river. You will require 14 days' rations and about four days' forage. This latter article, being heavy, must be supplied by teh country through which you pass. Thirty of thirty-five teams must be supplied from your side of the river, and to get them you will have to draw upon the regimental transportation of the whole command there.

Detailed instructions will be drawn up for you before starting.

U.S. Grant,
        Brigadier-General, Commanding.(District of Southeast Missouri)

BIRD'S POINT, Mo. November 13, 1861.

• GENERAL: I have to report that upon receiving your oder at 12 o'clock at night November 2, I immediately organized the expedition to move inland from this point and in the direction of the Saint Francois River.

On Monday morning the forces, consisting of the 18th Regiment Illinois Volunteers, commanded by Col. Michael K. Lawler; the 29th Regiment Illinois Volunteers, commanded by Col. James Rearden, and on section of Captain Schwartz's light artillery, commanded by Lt. Gumbart, from Brigadier-General McClernand's brigade, Cairo, Ill., and the 8th Regiment Illinois Volunteers, Lt. Col. Frank L. Rhoads commanding; one battalion 11th Regiment Illinois Volunteers, Lt. Col. T.E.G. Ransom commanding; Capt. Pfaff's cavalry; and Cap. Langen's cavalry, Lt. Hanson commanding and Capt. Noleman's Centralia cavalry, Lt. Tufts commanding, were landed at Commerce, Mo.

The day was occupied in unloading supplies and arranging transportation for the march. Bearing in mind your order to pursue the rebel formed under Jeff. Thompson wherever they might be found, and to destroy the same if found, I marched directly for Bloomfield, Mo., at which point i was reliably informed the rebel forces were encamped. To avoid delay I moved the column directly towards the Nigger Wool Swamp, and crossed it and the swamp between it and Little River, at Stringer's Ferry, 7 miles in one day. To do this it became necessary to construct several bridges, and to cut out a new road in several places. The rebel pickets were met by my advance guard on the bridge over the lake in the swamp. A slight skirmish ensued. An effort was made by the rebels to burn the bridge. It was soon repaired, under the direction of Dr. John M. Phipps, assistant surgeon of the 8th Regiment.

In the afternoon, Thursday, 7 miles from Bloomfield, I received a note from Colonel Perczel, of the 10th Regiment Iowa Volunteers, informing me that he had taken possession of the town without resistance. The forces under General Thompson retreated in the direction of New Madrid on the night of the 6th instant. At Bloomfield I received your order to turn the column in the direction of New Madrid. I had already sent forward on the roads toward New Madrid Colonel Perczel with his regiment about six miles, when Col. William H.L. Wallace came up with the remaining companies of his regiment, and took command of the 11th Regiment in person. Through Colonel Wallace I received your verbal order to return to Bird's Point. To avoid the terrible swamp in front of Bloomfield I returned by Cape Girardeau. Colonels Lawler and Rearden marched to Cape Girardeau in two days, the 8th and 11th Illinois and 10th Iowa following the next day. The whole force arrived at Bird's Point on Tuesay, the 12th, having marched over 100 miles, and embarked and debarked twice, and traveled by water 85 miles besides, in less than nine days. I detained the forces one day at Bloomfield out of the nine.

The chief object of the expedition having failed, I have to inform you that the information derived about the country, and of the feelings of the inhabitants and the purposes of the rebellion, have fully compensated all the labor it has required. A more unhappy and deluded people I have never seen. Wherever the column moved consternation filled the whole community, adn the face that without regard to sex or age the whole people were not outraged and destroyed seemed to stupefy them.

I have to report the wanton destruction of property in one or two instances, otherwise the march through the country was most exemplary and satisfactory. My orders were obeyed with cheerfulness and alacrity. After four days I obtained forage from teh people of the country for all the mules and horses. Four-fifths of the inhabitants are ready to return to the Union wheneever the Government can assure them from punishment by the rebel army. The yoke of Jeff. Thompson is a heavy one, and the people are becoming disgusted at his arbitrary sway. The scrip he has substituted for a good currency is totally worthless. His brutality in murdering in cold blood so many good citizens of Missouri, and suffering them to rot unburied in full view of the public, has met its just return in the horror with which he and his whole command are beginning to be appreciated by the people of Southeast Missouri.

Respectively yours,
        R.J. Oglesby,
        Colonel Eighth Regt. Ill. Vols., Comdg. Expedition.

Cairo, November 4, 1861.

• ... you will send out an expedition towards Bloomfield - the 10th Iowa Volunteers. Send with them four days' rations and four days' forage. Caution the commanding officer of the expedition in your instructiosn that no marauding or foraging is to be allowed under any circumstances. Private houses are not to be entered against the will of the people, except in pursuance of orders of the commanding officer, and then only on business to carry out the object of the expedition. When it becomes necessary to have forage for the transporattion trains it will be taken and vouchers given at a fair valuation and accounted for. ...

U.S. Grant,
        Brigadier-General, Commanding.(District of Southeast Missouri)

CAMP FREMONT,
        Cape Girardeau, MO., November 12, 1861.

• ... On the morning of the 7th I received a letter from Colonel Oglesby, informing me that he would be at Bloomfield with his forces between 3 and 4 o'clock in the afternoon, and that he would wait for my arrival. As I was at that time only 6 miles from Bloomfield, and hoping Thompson might make a stand against my threes, I decided no to wait, but to march forward.

At the moment of starting my scouts brought in two citizens of Bloomfield, bearing a flag of truce; they tendered the submission of their town to the legal authorities and begged for protection. They reported that Thompson retreated the day previous toward Saint Luke. I then marched forward, arrived in Bloomfield at 10 o'clock a.m., took possession of it, and promised protection to the citizens upon condition of their good behavior. Unfortunately some disorders occurred. They were, however, speedily stopped by the appointment of a provost-marshal. ...

N. Perczel,
        Colonel, Commanding 10th Iowa Infantry

(Grant would also provide to his commander at Saint Louis, additional instructions which Grant reported he gave to Oglesby. They were nearly identical to what was posted above, but also included some more details.)

Cairo, November 3, 1861.

• ... The object of the expedition is to destroy this force, and the manner of doing it is left largely at your discretion, believeing it better not to trammel you with instructions. Transportation will be furnished you for fourteen days' rations and four or five days' forage. All you may require outisde of this must be furnished by the country through which you pass.

In taking supplies you will be careful to select a proper officer to press them, and require a receipt to be given, and the articles pressed accounted for in the same manner as if purchased. You are particularly enjoined to allow no foraging by your men. It is demoralizing in the extreme, and is apt to make open enemies where they would not otherwise exist.

Yours, &.,
        U.S. Grant,
        Brigadier-General

(It is interesting enough to include some words from the enemy - M. Jeff Thomson, brigadier-general that he sent to his headquarters, First Military District, Missouri State Guard. He has been notified that the Federals are approaching from Cape Girardeau and Commerce. The latter would be the column under Oglesby.)
        BLOOMFIELD, Mo., November 5, 1861 - 8 p.m.

• ... I have issued orders disposing of my forces for a defense of this position, but as the troops from Cape Girardeau will have to cross no swamp to get here, their numbers may overwhelm me, and force me southward. If there is no possible chance to whip them, I may forego the pleasure of fighting them for the purpose of trying to save this county, which has always been very true to us, and may be sacked entirely if I should kil many of their men. ...

M. Jeff Thomson,
        Brigadier-General, Commanding.
        John Pillers
        Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Now, if I could just find that elusive Bloomfield civilian account of Union soldiers wearing state-issue gray, my life would be complete...

John Pillers

:confused_

"Some of our boys took possession of the abandoned printing office and got out a issue of three pages that measured eight inches by twelve. It was made up of complimentary remarks about ourselves, and mean allusions and flings at Jeff Thompson and his men because they were not foolish enough to remain and welcome us when we came up out of the swamp, I have no doubt that they had other business to attend to, and it was no concern of ours when they left. I guess Jeff ranked Oglesby and Grant also, and he didn't have to obtain their permission to exercise his horses."

"The Cornwell Chronicles"
          Heritage Books Inc., 1998.
          - David Cornell, 8th Ill. Inf.
          Last edited by John of the Skulkers Mess; 01-05-2007, 01:58 AM. Reason: typo
          John Pillers
          Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

Comment

"... Last night two of our boys (printers) went into a printing office used for printing Secesh newspapers, and printed a small Union paper called the Stars and Stripes of which tonight we have a goodly supply. ..."

- Diary of Lt. W.D. Harland and Orderly Sgt. Thos. C. Watkins
            Co. H, 18th Ill. Regt.

John Pillers
            John Pillers

Comment

John,
              Thanks for reposting the photos. I think I'll try to seek out the museum this summer. Wonder if any reenactors will try this scenario again someday?
              Regards,
              Paul Hadley
              Pied Type and Broadsheets Battalion
              Paul Hadley

Comment

The museum has a nice collection of militaria. Paul Arnold and his father's stuff mostly. Up to modern-day.

Shoot, I'd be happy to put together another printing, especially if a certain film production company was there.

:tounge_sm

The museum is pretty 'reactor-friendly' - Skulker types have done about a handful of stuff there ranging from blanket talks to the full-out printing scenario.

A typo,
                John Pillers
                John Pillers

Comment

"Now, if I could just find that elusive Bloomfield civilian account of Union soldiers wearing state-issue gray, my life would be complete...

John Pillers"

John-not the account you are looking for but :

From- Army Life of an Illinois Soldier: The Letters and Diaries of Charles Wills
                  (8th Illinois)
                  (Time of writing is summer of 61)
                  Page 16- "We have had our uniforms about a week. Grey Satinett pants and Roundabout, with a very handsom blue cap. Nine brass buttons up the jacket front and grey flannel shirts"

Page 24-September 1861- " A uniform was also furnished us last week.. all wool goods... color is a very fine grey, pants are fashionably cut, coats have short skirts and are rather fancifully trimmed"
                  Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Working...
                  X