cleanliness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleanliness

I have made several jean wool uniforms for members of my unit and others, and the first thing the boys did when they got to an event was to try to get them dirty as soon as possible in an authentic way, at the Camp Moore event I saw some in jean wool that looked as if they had just picked them up at the cleaners, is it a matter of preference here, or of boys being boys at any age and just wanting to play in the dirt? Truky confused here.

Diane Roderman
    DianeGipson
    1st MS Partisan Rangers

Re: cleanliness

Well, in theory, you ought to see different levels of cleanliness at different events, depending on what the real soldiers had been doing historically before the situation being portrayed. If they'd been marching or fighting hard with little time to get clean, reenactors would want to show up with their uniforms dirty, but if the original soldiers had just been issued new uniforms or had time to wash and repair the old ones, reenactors would want their clothes to look clean and new for that event.

I'm not familiar with Camp Moore, but whether that's the reason, or whether it's just different modern preferences by different groups, probably depends on the level of accuracy of the particular reenactors.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@voyager.net
    Hank Trent

Comment

Re: cleanliness

Welcome to this forum, Miss Diane--long time no see--I've been limiting my drive distance and playing too much at the 1740 French Fort to meet up with y'all lately.

Yes, down in our neck of the woods, some of the boys do feel they've got to age their nifty new uniforms by roll in the dirt, or drag them down the road on a log chain hanging out the back of the truck. When they start abusing your handwork that way, tell them they'll get a much more properly worn look by (1) actually going to more events and drilling when the officers call them or (2) wearing them while doing some heavy yard work for momma, or clearing new ground or plowing the back 40.

Write me using this board's private message system about the upcoming Alabama Division Camp of Instruction--we've got a fine period home to use for the civilian workshops, and a good time planned. Since I'm concentrating on teaching some basic period handsewing and simple upgrades -slat bonnets. collars and cuffs, and drawers and such, I could use someone like you who can actually sew.
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Working...
      X