More colorised fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More colorised fun!

Edmund Ruffin observed that Southern longleaf pines "were deformed by being skinned for extracting turpentine". This tree was the primary source of scrape (sap) for rosin, pitch, turpentine, black caulk, tar and any other waterproof and sticky thing needed for paving or boats of any size. Other “yellow” pines also produced fair amounts but not as much as the hearty longleaf, which could stand up to the abuse of the process. It took many years to work a mature tree to exhaustion, that is until the Professors Herty’s acid process three decades after the war. I’m not sure if Virginia can be considered a naval stores production center. A consumer of naval stores but not a primary manufacturer.

Snatch up a copy of Tapping the Pines: The Naval Stores Industry in the American South by Robert B. Outland III, LSU Press, 2004. This native Tarheel pretty much covers everything you need to know about the sooty industry.
    Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 01-22-2007, 03:45 PM.
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

A neighborhood longleaf cat face, ca1900.
      Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 01-20-2008, 02:45 PM.
      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Re: I just noticed the forest in spite of the trees!

What was the river traffic like? Early steamboats ate wood by the cord and it took awhile before a lot of Ohio River boats went to coal-burning. I don't know when tidewater steamers made the change, but if they were like a lot of our local boats and didn't change until ca. 1840, that would be about the right time frame.

--Becky Morgan
        Becky Morgan

Comment

Stellar work again Wickersty. Based on your Photo research contributions to the site over the years, we have added you to the AC writers & researchers list.

Now back to talking about trees.
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

As an aside, when I used to do re-forestation, sometimes the land still bore remains of when it was used for cotton. I esp. remember one place in cent. Ga. where you could still trace the remains of the log slave quarters. A ways away was the ruins of the plantaion home with only the two chimneys standing.
            Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
            Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
            Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
            Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
            Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Working...
            X