Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee-Jackson Day

Dear Fellers ,
    Regardless of opinion , at least Virginia has a Lee-Jackson Day . I reside in Illinois which does not have a Lincoln -Grant Day or a Grant -Logan Day or even a Logan- Grierson Day ( or even MeClernand ) , as a state holiday . We do have a Lincoln's Birthday state holiday but it is second tier to Federal Holidays even here in the Land of Lincoln . I suppose even worse is the case of George Washington , who now is President's Day . In the future will we celebrate "Internet Day " or "Cable Day " ? One wonders .
    all for the old flag ( until prohibited by legislative mandate ) ,
    David Corbett
    Dave Corbett

Re: Lee-Jackson Day

Lee-Jackson Day was celebrated last Saturday in Lexington, VA. I attended/participated(with the Pipe Band from VMI) in the ceremony that was held at Jackson Memorial Cemetery for Jackson and I was surprised at the turnout. I must say that it was not as big as I expected it to be. But besides that, the thing that really is disappointing is that VMI doesn't really care about this celebration. The Regimental Band and pipe band were asked to play at the cemetery and in a short parade from Jackson's grave to the parade field at VMI by the local SCV camp to lay a wreath in front of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John; eventually it was passed down to just the pipe band, a total of 10(lack of numbers due to prior commitment). We wanted to do this, but a day before, we received an email saying that we couldn't march in the parade (we could still do the ceremony); the reason VMI uniforms, cameras, and Confederate Flags in a parade don't mix, though there were Confederate Flags everywhere in the ceremony. I just think that it is disappointing that we can not march in a parade to honor two great military leaders. I think it is ridiculous that VMI tries to hide its history (yes they fought in support of the Confederacy whom had slavery), but why must we have to erase our past just to please the public? Being a school of tradition and having ceremonies to honor cadets that fought and died in support of the South and the Battle of New Market (a Confederate Victory) and all of that stuff is it such a problem that 10 modern-day cadets march in a parade to celebrate and honor two of the South's and America's greatest military commanders? I just think that this country is getting too carried away with political correctness where every little thing offends somebody.

I will say that VMI does lay a wreath at Jackson's grave, but that is on another day when no one is around, just two members of the Commandant's staff, two cadets(Regimental Commander and a Bugler), and a photographer. The wreath is laid at the grave and TAPS is played, but before that happens all of the other wreaths, and flags are moved out of the way before the pictures are taken, I know that from first hand experience. VMI will continue with its traditions cutting them back little by little every year until it no longer recognizes that it participated in the Civil War. They should not worry about what people are going to say when it comes to its history and carry one what has been done in the past.
    Thats just a few thoughts.

These are just a few pictures as to what was done to Honor Jackson:
    In the Past:

2006 (scroll to bottom left of page 7):
    [FONT=Century Gothic]Very Respectfully,
    Brian G. Holt
    VMI CWRT
    61st New York
    Co. E CVG
    [/FONT]

Comment

Modern political views are not welcomed here on the forum. Please keep your comments on this thread on topic of the Civil War.
      Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Dear Mr. Holt ,
        Thanks for the information .
        all for the old flag,
        David Corbett
        Dave Corbett

Comment

Working...
        X