Self-moved: Jean Cloth Shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-moved: Jean Cloth Shoes

I accidentally made this post in the civilian section, and havent recieved an answer yet, so maybe the second try will be better.

On a trip to the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, my friend and I saw a pair of jean cloth shoes. It had two paper backed tin buttons, a wooden sole, and leather reinforcement on the inside. To the best of my knowledge, canvas and leather were the two main materials used in shoes; does anyone have any documentation of these being used in any great number, or are they just an abberation?

Re: Self-moved: Jean Cloth Shoes

I have seen the shoes you mention in the MOC. My opinion and only mine is that these are not the product of a concerted effort in manufacture but a small run or a one off item to alleviate a specific need. The C.S.Q.M. did experiment with wood soles but these are particuarly unsutied for marching any distance. I belive they were made for hospitals and civilian use possibly from used uniforms or scrap cloth. Wood sole shoes were also used in occupations where one was exposed to cold, wet conditions (tanner's packing hides in pits, ice cutters, berry picker, and farmers). Which is why so many show up on ebay as confederate shoes. I have no doubt that wood sole shoes were used at sometimes and were commonaly seen "in the world" but as a PEC item I am dubious
    .. For civilian or "homegaurd use fine.
    Tom Mattimore
    Tom Mattimore

Comment

Re: Self-moved: Jean Cloth Shoes

I thought I would expand a little on wood soles now that I have a little time. If you have seen period Ice shoes or even dutch wood sabots viewed in profile you will notice that they have a steep curve from the ball of the foot foward toward the toes. This can be seen in the triple sole english shepherds shoes. It can also be seen in any shoe last period or new. This is called toe spring by last and shoe makers. It first shows up with the invention of the heel in the late 1400's. With out toe spring you must walk flat footed and not in a rolling motion from heel to toe. If you try to walk in a flat bottom shoe that encloses the heel you you will soon be walking in what appears to be a shuffle so as not to trip. Most of the wood soled slippers called slaps do not restrict the heel alowing a more rounded step. You will also see people who have always gone unshod walk differently then folks who have always worn shoes. The ones in the MOC did not have much toe spring as I recall and would have been dificult to go any distance in.
      Tom Mattimore
      Tom Mattimore

Comment

Working...
      X