anyone one ever heard of this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone one ever heard of this

I am posting this question for a friend of mine anyone know the answer??

Hi Folks;
    I was asked by a lady in my wife's DAR group a couple of questions about some terminology used in some of her civil war ancestors letters. One of the soldiers letters stated ; a lot of the troops have "yellow ganders ". I've heard and seen "Gators". Anybody ever heard on this?
    Also, in a letter home to his mother, the soldier was disappointed to hear she had only received $.87 cents for his "certificate". Anybody know if a certificate of some value might have been issued to the troops? Dana
    Douglas Potter
    E-Mail [email]harley@mfi.net[/email]

Re: anyone one ever heard of this

I really don't know, but could "yellow ganders" be a reference to hepatitis? Hepatitis often results from unsanitary conditions, which would have been experienced by soldiers in camp. One of the symptoms is jaundice, where your skin and eyes look yellowish (correct me if I'm wrong here).
    Nicholas Roland

Comment

The Dictionary of American Regional English has:
      ganders--noun--[Variation of janders (at jaundice), perhaps by confusion with glanders]
      1968-9 DARE (Qu. BB23, The disease where the skin becomes a yellowish color) TX65, Jaundice, ganders--same thing; VA27, Yellow ganders.

So it could be any disease or condition that produces jaundice, hepatitis being the main one, I would guess.

Vicki Betts
      vbetts@gower.net

Comment

"Yellow Ganders" is probably a mis-spelling of Yellow Jaundice. This has arisen on the AC forum before. But it looks like others have it as hepatitis. Pretty common illness in crowded camp conditions until fairly recently.

Not sure about the certificate, but could be some sort of "secure transaction" of that period, most likely handled by the post office.
        Fred Grogan
        Sykes' Regulars

Comment

Hi,

Another possible explanation for "yellow ganders" is that "gander" is an old term for "look" or "appearance" (e.g., "Have a gander."). Therefore, yellow ganders could, as mentioned previously, refer to the physical appearance of the afflicted.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Doug
            It could also mean glanders refering to swelling in the neck (lymph nodes) of horses the yellow could refer to sputum coughed up.
            Tom Mattimore
            Tom Mattimore

Comment

The word “gander”, which is of soley American origin, means "look" and can be used as both a verb and a noun. “Yellow Ganders” means to have a yellow look or appearance which is a symptom in adults of a failure of the bilinary system i.e. the liver, gallbladder, and bile ducts. We know it more commonly as “Jaundice” which is derived from the French word Jaune, which means, you guessed it - yellow. Jaundice means to have a yellow appearance. The term “Yellow Jauntice” is redundant.

Comment

Redundancy

"We know it more commonly as “Jaundice” which is derived from the French word Jaune, which means, you guessed it - yellow. Jaundice means to have a yellow appearance. The term “Yellow Jauntice” is redundant."

Very common in American speech to double up on foreign words with their English counterpart. Probably so you don't miss the translation.

Demi-tasse cup: Half cup cup.
                Table mesa: table table
                Picacho Peak (site of an Arizona ACW battle): Peak Peak

etc.

RJ Samp
                RJ Samp
                (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Re: Redundancy

RJ, you left out "pizza pie".

MJ McCormick
                  Mark "Stiggs" McCormick

[email]pvt_stiggs@hotmail.com[/email]

Comment

VIN number.
                    Bo Carlson

[i][b]At the dawn of the 21st century the human species does appear to be in a rapid state of de-evolution. The time for personal salvation is now, while the people terrorize each other like warring insects, all the while crying out for global change and healing. Can we as a species hope to achieve something as grandiose as constructing a Heaven on Earth, when our very souls are rotten and empty?[/b][/i]

Comment

Rio Grande River.

Vicki Betts
                      vbetts@gower.net

Comment

Let's not forget "La Brea Tar Pits"
                        Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                        Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                        Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                        Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                        Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Working...
                        X