X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The swear filter

Dusty,

Thanks. After posting that I thought that might be the case.
    Jim Kindred

Comment

If you must swear, leave it to yourself and save it for someplace else.

However, I do not agree with censorship, nor do I agree with swearing, and furthermore, I cannot agree that swearing was an uncommon practice in the 19th century as most say. Was it common among mixed parties, social events? I'd say not common at all based on etiquette of the time, and what little we know of it While here we are among mixed company and etiquette shoudl be practiced. Swearing among those at work on the wharfs, sawmills, the factories, tanneries, street sweeps, etc? what do you think?

I believe we miss caculate what the "norm" in victorian society was. Are we to fast to throw the word "etiquette" out on the table everytime we speak of the victorian era?

I did not intend to step on my peach box and flap gums about this, but I feel like to many "reenactors" overwork the whole "etiquette" thing, and thinking that was everyday life. Okay, as if your cast to hell for saying the word damn on a public street in 19th century America. :sarcastic

Take censorship away, and place the rule on the board for all to see. If you swear, your gone.
      [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
      [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
      [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

And I am on my high horse tonight at work, and posted again :tounge_sm

What I say still remains, and maybe a topic for another day? OVER-USING THE WORD ETIQUETTE. :confused_
        [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
        [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
        [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
        [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

I believe that Curt sums up the main points very well. I would however like to point out one or two other issues that folks may want to consider. The concept of self control comes into play here, those who will control their passions and post intelligent replies do not need rules or filters, unfortunately there are those who will not and there is the problem. I believe that with quick and proper actions by the monitors (whom I believe do a wonderful job) we can carry on without filters and those who visit will see the corrective action taken when the situation calls for it. It should be noted that there are many ways to be insulting without cuss words.
          I delayed entry into this hobby for almost two years (from when I looked into entering) because of three incidence in a short sequence of time. Each of these incidents involved members of the hobby attacking each other in what I considered especially crude and unnecessary ways. I was only a casual (but interested) observer in these incidents, but they had a profound impact on my attitude and image of what went on in the world of reenacting. We are judged every day whether we like it or not, and so is this hobby. I have learned a great deal from this forum, I have gained years of experience from many of you (and am thankful to all for that). Strong, swift monitors, who stop any exchange that is vulgar, insulting, or contains personal slurs and publically corrects the actions allow for proper quotation.

John Shaw

Comment

My humble opinion is we need no filter sensor .

The most important thing must be to injure nobody in a post. That is intolerable !
            But it is possible to injure somebody without the use of nasties words…and the filter not catch it !
            It is also possible to use a nasty word without injuring somebody …and the post will be censored even if it is very interesting !

I had not read many nasties words on this forum, maybe my poor knowledge of English work like a natural filter :D , and that way of speaking may not help to improve a reputation. It is the best punishment. In case of exaggeration a simple private message from a moderator may be enough .
            [I]Gettysburg 1993
            Red River Campaign, April 3-9 1994[/I]

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Comment

I seem to agree with many of the other posters, some words, while not profane, can be used in a profane manner and could be banned, the perfect example posted earlier was "screw". I think that the moderators are quite capable of informing members when their speech gets a little to rough.

IMHO

YOS,

DJM
              Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
              (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

Ladies and Gentlemen:

To even ask that this forum be made profanity free tells me (along with a few other things) the state our society has turned into the last 120-160 years. I consider going to this site the same as going to the library. I have never heard profanity being used as I have searched through the card catalog or searched the shelves for a book. One thing I try to remember, I want other people to experience our fantastic hobby, and I think the use of profanity turns people off.

Thanks,

Greg Papierz
                1st Michigan Infantry

Comment

In most professional (certainly academic) circles, swearing is frowned upon. It really doesn't advance the discussion at all... unless it's an academic discussion about the use of profanity.

There is a time and place for profanity... but I rarely hit my thumb with a hammer while typing.
                  John Popolis

Comment

I am not opposed to some swearing - especially when it comes from source material. I think most users are gentlemenly (and lady like) to censor themselves. By the way, I once lived in a 2 bedroom house trailer - and while I heard an occasional oath I have heard much worse profanity coming from the mouths of 11 or 12 year old girls at the Mall. It was enough to make a sailor blush - and I am a sailor.

Christopher White
                    The New Richmond Depot &
                    23rd Virginia Infantry Co. A-K

Comment

What's the big deal about swearing? I mean when your fighting a battle and the guy next to you gets his head blown off you don't say oh good golly gosh! you would most likely say some pretty bad stuff.

Josh Coughenour
                      Muddy Creek Mess

Josh,

Not only are you posting before reading, but even worse, the name you signed your post with differs from the "Josh Leonello" that you registered under.

To give you an opportunity to read and understand more about our forum and to allow you time to correct your posts to your actual name. I am giving you a 10-day timeout from posting.

Scott McKay, moderator
                      AC Forums

It is customary to read the entire thread before responding: the discussion has been regarding the use of profanity in the forums, not on the field.

On the field, you may be as profane as your comrades will allow before washing your mouth out with soap.

In these forums, participants are expected to behave with decorum, and limit profanity, vulgarity, and blasphemy as far as possible, with one possible exception being the quoting of original source materials that employ the same.

Regards,
                      Elizabeth Clark
                      Moderation Team

Last edited by ; 04-10-2004, 11:03 AM. Reason: Banning for 10 days.

Comment

"In these forums, participants are expected to behave with decorum, and limit profanity, vulgarity, and blasphemy as far as possible, with one possible exception being the quoting of original source materials that employ the same. Elizabeth Clark
                        Moderation Team"

I think that's the best statement of a rule on the subject I've seen. In a forum discussing a hobby pursuit, there really is no excuse for profanity, vulgarity or blasphemy. Besides, if you really wished to insult someone, they are unnecessary and unimaginative.
                        David Culberson
                        The Rowdy Pards

Comment

I agree, there is no need to swear here.What I was thinking about... and please excuse Me if Im wrong, I know it is the case on another forum when referring to threaded fasteners the spelling is always s***w or something like that.It seems to Me that this is taking it too far.Yes I know it has a dual meaning these days but I feel that this is a bit silly. It may be because if is is a program that alters the spelling automaticly when it "sees' certain words. I can understand that because it cant tell how a given word is being used. I think that forums like this one are incredible and also the chance to talk to folks with similar interests with such a vast wealth of information is priceless and the information and should be able to be read by everyone.I agree that soldiers letter should be presented the way that they were written .Honestly I think the vast majority of the people on this forum are really decent respectable folks and use good judgement. Either way I really enjoy this forum , I learn a lot here and I appreciate everyone sharing their experience.
                          Respectfully,
                          John Rogers

Comment

Going with the majority here, I think limitations on the curse words used would seemingly be a good idea. However, I know this one for a fact, a filter to block out certain words can be more trouble than it's worth. My parents had one on our computer for a couple hours a couple years ago, made it pretty difficult to look up ANYTHING on the net. I realize anything used here wouldn't be that level of a filter, but there are times when quoting from a period text requires a swear word or two. I'm in the process of reading "Reluctant Rebel" the Robert Patrick journel from '61-'65 and there have been a few passages that would suffer from a filter.
                            I would assume that most here can make a statment without swearing to get the point across. But, if something is to be used, keep it for the big ones. No need to resort to that vulgarity here.
                            [FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Black]Nicholas A. Keen
                            Cannoneer Battery B, 3rd Penna. Artillery
                            "When our boys went about the citizens they seemed surly and unaccomadating and showed no disposition to grant us any favors, for which I could not blame them because the soldiers I know to be a great nuisance"- Robert Patrick "Reluctant Rebel"
                            [url]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/armysystem.php?do=recruit&uniqueid=37[/url]
                            Harper's Weekly May 4 1861: "War they have invoked; war let them have; and God be the judge between us."

"There is nothing so exhilarating in life as to be shot at without effect."

- Winston Churchill

[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

We've got the OTB for cussin' and sech!
                              John Turvey
                              69th NYSV CO. A
                              Irish Brigade

Comment

Working...
                              X