Confederate Victories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Victories?

I am familiar with the engagement and outcome at Fort Pillow.
    Are there any other wartime incidences of forts that were assaulted and carried by Confederate forces and not recaptured or reoccupied by the Federals?
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Re: Confederate Victories?

Originally posted by Vuhginyuh
    I am familiar with the engagement and outcome at Fort Pillow.
    Are there any other wartime incidences of forts that were assaulted and carried by Confederate forces and not recaptured or reoccupied by the Federals?

Does anybody know?
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Actually, Ft. Pillow was reacquired by the Federals, Forrest having withdrawn the next day, however it was decided to not replace the garrison since it was no longer militarily neccessary. The fort remained unoccupied until the collection and reburial of the bodies in 1865 and there later removal to the cemetary in Memphis the next year. It remained unoccupied, although the interior was farmed, until it became a state park in the 1970's. If anyone is interested they are having the 140th anniversary event on April 17-18.
      I can't think of any other forts captured by the CS and not subsequently abandoned or recaptured.
      Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Part of the problem may be in you wording. Since the Federal army won the war, they eventually reoccupied everything. :)

If you're looking for forts that Confederates took and Federals were unable to immediately retake militarily (instead of by evacuation) then Fort Sumter would probably be the most shining example. But of course, it was eventually evacuated.

How about you TMDs? Were there any captured Texas forts that had besieging Federal forces waiting for a flag changing ceremony after Lee's surrender?
        Jack Booda

Comment

Working...
        X