Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value of an original '53 Springfield

Hello friends,

I didn't really know where to post this question but I have an opportunity to purchase an original 1853 Springfield and need to know the value. My wife's father has it, got it from his grandfather who got it from his grandfather (or something like that). I am trying to buy it but neither of us has any idea as to its value. I've tried looking on the net for others for sale for comparison but have come up empty. Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Value of an original '53 Springfield

Has the rifling been lost, or has it been converted to a shotgun, where was it made, what condition is it in etc. All are factors in its value.

If you're speaking of an 1863 Springfield the cost can run from $700 for one in less than pretty shape to well over three thousand dollars for one in pretty nice shape.

1855 Springfilelds are another matter entirely... if the Maynard Primer sys is still intact and functional... the price goes up, way up.

An 1853 Enfiled is similar to the Springfield in value, but over the last several years it's become much more difficult to find one.

There are several good antique/gunsmitty sites where you can find similar weapons:
    Shiloh Relics is one of the world&146;s largest Civil War and World War marketplaces on the web. We provide online trading exchange between the individual customer and Shiloh Relics. Individuals not big businesses use Shiloh Relics to buy and sell

Good Luck
    Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
    SUVCW Camp 48
    American Legion Post 352
    [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Steve,

Are we talking about a M-1842 Springfield, with a 1853 date on the barrel and lock plate?

I would suggest you take the weapon to a dealer of Civil War relics and ask him to appraise it for you. It is extremely difficult to place a value on any firearm sight unseen. Depending on condition, the price could vary by a thousand dollars.

I know this isn't much help,
      Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Thanks guys. Obviously I need to get more info on it. I haven't examined it closely myself, I was going by what he told me. He said it is marked 1853 Springfield. I'm sure he'll let me get it, make photos, take it somewhere for appraisal, etc. He is my father-in-law.

Thank you again and when I'm able to get pictures I'll post them here for y'all to take a look at.

Comment

Hello Steve,

The book you need is "Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms". It will list a value for just about any American military arm you can find. You will have to determine exactly what you have, though. If the lock says "Springfield/1853" then it may be a Model 1842 musket, in which case, you would have to look closely to see what other markings may be present, whether it has a rear sight or not, whether or not it has been rifled. With this model, the price varies greatly depending on condition and alterations.

Good luck,

Michael
          Michael McComas
          drudge-errant

Comment

Why would your FIL want to sell a family heirloom to his daughter?

Comment

Well, it would be willed upon his passing but she has a sister and a brother so I don't know who would end up with it. And, I'd like to have it now :-) .

Michael, thanks for the book title. I'll see if I can find it.

Comment

Steve,

I dug out my copy of "Flayderman's, the 8th. Edition". It shows the value of a basic M-1842 as $850 for good condition to $2,750 for fine condition. The value of a M-1842 that had been rifled is $900 for good condition, and $3,000 for fine condition.

Your weapon probably falls somewhere between good and fine. In my earlier post, I said the price could vary by a $1000 dollars depending on condition. Obviously, I was wrong, since the price can vary by $2,000 dollars!

I stand by my original post. Get the weapon appraised, or as a second option, attend one, or more, antique gun shows, and check out the prices of the weapons on the tables. One warning, most of the asking prices are on the high side, and are often negotiable.

Good luck,
                Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

While I have found that Flayderman's is a good source for getting a rough idea of antique gun values, I have to say that their pricing on Civil War era weapons tends to be somewhat under the current market. While the Civil War relic market is not as volatile as some collectable markets, there are still yearly (even seasonal) and location based variations in pricing. In general really top end guns will command whatever price the market will bear, even if they are common guns. As the number of truly cherry weapons gets smaller each year, the prices for these go up tremendously. The other thing that I have noticed recently is that lower end guns have gone up in value disproportionally compared to other sectors of the musket market. The guns that used to sell in the $500-$700 range are now in the $750-$1,000. However, the upper middle grade guns in the $2,000-$4,000 range have stayed stable or even decreased somewhat. Guns in $5,000+ range seem to have remained fairly constant with some increase in value. I recently discussed these trends with some major dealers who seemed to agree and felt that the economic downturn which is now ending has created this market. All this rambling leads to the repetition of Bill Rodman’s advice. Get a really good Civil War relic dealer to do an appraisal, as they will be able to take the current trends, location and economy into consideration when they give you the value. Expect to pay for the appraisal, but it will not be much, likely $20-$50. I hope this is useful.
                  [SIZE=1]Your most humble and obedient servant,[/SIZE]
                  [SIZE=2]Tim Prince[/SIZE]
                  [I]Member CWDCA (The Civil War Dealers & Collectors Association)
                  Member CWPT (Civil War Preservation Trust)
                  Member The Company of Military Historians
                  Member SABC (Society of American Bayonet Collectors)
                  Hiram Lodge #7 F&AM
                  [/I][URL=http://www.collegehillarsenal.com]collegehillarsenal.com[/URL]

Comment

Re: Value of an original....

How about a M1795 (?) converted to percussion, but with some M1816 (?) items, incl. lockplate?

Sorry to be so vague,
                    John Pillers
                    TSM

:)

P.S.
                    Lock might say Harper's Ferry. Can't remember just now. No rammer.
                    Last edited by John of the Skulkers Mess; 01-20-2004, 07:29 PM. Reason: added...
                    John Pillers
                    Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Working...
                    X