Are they still around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are they still around?

A few years back while in OIF 2 I treated the GGGNephew of General George McClellan.
    I was wondering if there are descendants of other great Generals for example Lee, Longstreet, Forrest, Grant, Sherman , that are known today, and what do they do, where do they live. Etc.?

Re: Are they still around?

If you want them by name, George Pickett V lives here in Wilmington. Fitz Lee lives in Winston-Salem.
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Thanks Garrisons for your comments...I just find this all interesting. Have they ever written any papers or given any talks?

Comment

Hallo!

It has been a few years, but I used to visit with Jubal Early IV in New York...
        But he was doing Rev War at the time.
        :)

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Jubal Early the 4th? Jube didn't have any kids, except Sally Hemmings style.

There are a good number of descendents out there, but they seem to operate under the radar and away from the Civil War crowd. The one that comes to mind that does associate with the Civil War world is Jeb Stuart IV who lives in Richmond.

Greg Starbuck
          The brave respect the brave. The brave
          Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
          That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
          And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

Jeb Stuart IV spoke at one of our SCV Camp meeting several years ago in Midland, Texas. He was a very cordial and friendly gentleman and gave a very good program on his famous ancestor.
            Lee Ragan
            Dunn-Holt-Midkiff Camp 1441
            Lee Ragan

Comment

My maternal grandfather's mother was a Carter and her family was from Virginia.

General Lee's mother's maden name was Ann Carter (Relative of Robert "King" Carter). I'm sure we are distantly related somehow through the Carter of Virginia bloodline.

Are we really related? I suprisingly never bothered to dig deeper into it... hmmm.

-Johnny
              Johnny Lloyd
              John "Johnny" Lloyd
              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
              SCAR
              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Have they ever written any papers or given any talks?
                Sadly, Pickett V shuns the public. Between the harassment he receives from Lost Causers and the troubles his mother had with Pritchard & Juno* he has little to say anymore. He is a great guy and just wants to be left out of the fray.

His sister is very talkative about the General but she does not have anything new to offer.

*Nobody needs to turn this thread into an argument over the uniforms or Lost Causers.
                B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

One of the reenactors whom I see regularly is a direct descendant of General John Reynolds. He even looks like him, all of those generations later.
                  [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                  [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
                  [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Garrison,
                    I am at a lost...Pritchard and Juno?

Comment

Dale,

Very interesting social history question. I live in a small, historic community that produced six CS generals. One of my best friends and school chums is Joseph Brevard Kershaw DeLoach; he's a stockbroker and lives right around the corner. His family still lives in Gen. Joe Kershaw's home. As of right now, I have John Cantey over here at my house playing with my son. John is the descendant of Gen. James Willis Cantey, AOT. This sort of history is everywhere around here. "Fightin" Dick Anderson's people are down the road along with a branch of the Ramsuers. I'm blessed to live in such a place as Camden for sure; the past isn't too far removed.

Regards,

Neill Rose
                      PLHA

Comment

I believe that the great-granddaughter of Robert E. Lee, Anne Carter Zimmer, lives in North Carolina (correct me if I am wrong). She wrote and published The Lee Family Housekeeping Book a few years ago.
                        Last edited by YoungCampaigner; 01-29-2008, 03:35 PM. Reason: Punctuation Error
                        Sincerely,
                        William H. Chapman
                        Liberty Rifles

"They are very ignorant, but very desperate and very able." -Harper's Weekly on the Confederate Army, December 14, 1861

Comment

Ulysses S. Grant, V is still alive, I'm pretty sure. A few years back, he auctioned off some of his famous ancestor's belongings. He remains active in various projects related to his great-grandfather (apparently there was more than one male member, within the same generation, named for Ulysses).

Eric
                          Eric J. Mink
                          Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                          Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Double post, my apologies.
                            Last edited by Dignann; 01-29-2008, 03:40 PM. Reason: Double post
                            Eric J. Mink
                            Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                            Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Dale,

Pritchard and Juno were a pair of relic dealers who appeared on "Antiques Roadshow" and staged some appraisals in order to enhance their reputation. One of their later actions was to purchase a trunkful of the general's possesions from Pickett V and within days resold them to the City of Harrisburg for 10X the eappraised value.

In civil actions, both men comitted perjury, and both faced decades of prison time and millions in fines for mail and telephone fraud, among other charges. I know that Junmo pled out to some of the charges, but I haven't heard what Pritchard did.

Both set the reputatuions of legitimate dealers back years and did a great deal of damge to both dealers and collecters.
                              Tim Kindred
                              Medical Mess
                              Solar Star Lodge #14
                              Bath, Maine

Comment

Working...
                              X