Another Vacant Chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Vacant Chair

Sad news. George Woodbridge has passed away this morning after a long bout with pulmonary disease. George was a "centennial" veteran.

George is probably best known in reenacting circles as a founder of the Brigade of the American Revolution - a top notch AWI era umbrella organization. He's probably known to a lot of you - - who didn't really know him - from his career as an illustrator for "MAD Magazine." His art style was detailed and whimsical. He did a lot of historical art as well as "MAD" illustrations and his line drawings grace a number of historical publications. He was one of the collaborators for American Military Equipage among other works. As someone who had the privaledge of calling him his friend, I can assure that he will be greatly missed. He was an extremely nice guy to all and was very generous with the fruits of his labors and talent. He'll be missed.

Another vacant chair.
    Brian Koenig
    SGLHA
    Hedgesville Blues

Re: Another Vacant Chair

Sad news to hear. His art work has been with us who care for history a long time, some of his work is shown on this website - http://www.historymakers.com/guest/GW/FrameGuest.htm
    Jim Kindred

Comment

How old was Mr. Woodbridge? I hope he lived a long and fruitful life!

His Confederate soldier with dead chicken hanging from his shoulder and feathers in the slouch hat was the basis for my impression many, many, years ago!

Jim Ross
      James Ross

Comment

I am very lucky to say that I have in my possession three fine pieces of early American ceramics that I had the good fortune to purchase from his extensive collection.
        The fact that they were once his, that he had searched them out and thought enough of them to own them himself means as much to me as their actual historical significance.
        Mr. Woodbridge will be sorely missed.
        Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 01-22-2004, 12:11 AM. Reason: spelling
        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Working...
        X