Tickles me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tickles me...

I don't know why it did but it came to my attention how folks pronounce the word Cavalry. Almost every single person I know says 'Calvary'. "The Calvary is a comin'!" Now, Calvary was the place where Christ was crucified. C-A-V-A-L-R-Y = soldiers on horseback. I never say anything about it, don't want to embarrass anyone but I do get a little snicker from it each time.

Pay attention when you're talking about it. I bet the next time someone says it you'll notice it too... now :) .

Re: Tickles me...

Not me, I'm one of the few hayseeds that actually says it correctly. Probably one of the few words I do say right. :D

Comment

Actually, our guy on the big white horse includes an illustration of the difference, complete with a two pictures and a spelling lesson, as a part of his school day presentation.

You only have to be corrected once by a school child to remember to say it correctly.....
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by Southernboy
        I don't know why it did but it came to my attention how folks pronounce the word Cavalry. Almost every single person I know says 'Calvary'. "The Calvary is a comin'!" Now, Calvary was the place where Christ was crucified. C-A-V-A-L-R-Y = soldiers on horseback. I never say anything about it, don't want to embarrass anyone but I do get a little snicker from it each time.

Pay attention when you're talking about it. I bet the next time someone says it you'll notice it too... now :) .
        The only thing funnier is to hear someone in church declare, with all sincerity, that Christ died on Cavalry...
        Bernard Biederman
        30th OVI
        Co. B
        Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
        Outpost III

Comment

We as Americans are notorious for adding R's and L's were they dont belong when speaking.
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I love it.

Here are some more that I hear around here... but don't get me wrong I'm
            crazy about this stuff and the folks who say it too.

It would be interesting to find the derivation even though I think it is easy to “figger” out.

1. Staub - The thing that you drive into the ground to hold the corner of a tent in place.

Usage “Rare back and hit that staub agin!”

2. Callyum (call-yum) The big ''postes'' that hold up the front of a building or an out-of-step-snake-like formation of soldiers.

Usage “ Won’t nothing left of the big house but them callyums”

3. Vieenys ( vie-ee-nees) Those short little chicken sausages the color of a dirty white sneaker that come from a can. Most commonly eaten in duck blinds or as a Sunday dinner entrée if you happen to eat clay too.

Usage “ I ett two cans of vieenys at break time”
            Secondary usage “ Hey, I seen the Vienny Boys choir on the T.V. down to the store!”

Here is one I like, it is a bit more off topic than the above but I was wondering if anybody had ever heard it?

4. Fog – To throw something, anything, as hard as you can.

Usage “ Fog that vieeny at me and I’ll try to hit it wiff dis here staub!”

My g-grandfather, Capt Paul C Garrison, 5TH Div 6TH Infantry said it all the time.
            We think it might come from the French grenade “Foug” (sic?). I have heard
            other WW1 Vets say it as well.
            Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 01-21-2004, 10:58 PM. Reason: spellin'
            B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Well, I grew up stepping on staubs, and I can tell you I'd like to have hit them with hammers.

My big gripe is JEWELRY. Everyone says JewLary. Of course, I'm snippy about FebRUary and NuCLEar, too, but the last has limited application in the civil war realm.
              Regards,
              Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Comrades,
                I see that term "calvary" all the time on ebay, along with "repo" items for "Civil War reactors" and soliders....Always nice to see folks who use english as a second language.
                Respects,
                Tim Kindred
                Medical Mess
                Solar Star Lodge #14
                Bath, Maine

Comment

Pard,

You know I had never given two thoughts to the two words, but now i realize that i have been pronouncing then wrongly. Thanks for bringing it up...

Respectfully,
                  Ryan McIntyre
                  124th New York State Volunteers
                  Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
                  Joseph H. Johnston
                  March 16th 1863
                  Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
                  Henry M Howell
                  March 8 1863
                  In camp Near Falmouth

Comment

Sorry I ain't got time to talk, I got to go "UNTHAW" the water pipes! :)
                    Jack Booda

Comment

Originally posted by 1stMaine
                      Comrades,
                      I see that term "calvary" all the time on ebay, along with "repo" items for "Civil War reactors" and soliders....Always nice to see folks who use english as a second language.
                      Respects,
                      Ms. Clark,

I think there is your use of nuCLEar in a period context. "Civil War reactors" is what they use to power the beer 'fridge on campaign.

The one that I always notice is when someone writes "vice" when they mean "versus". I think it must be a regionalism, but it was on my English professor's list of "Ten Things That Will Earn You A 'D' In This Class".

-Michael McComas
                      "Follow The Blue Glow" Mess
                      Michael McComas
                      drudge-errant

Comment

While we're at it, I remember the first time I pronounced Colonel after reading it in a book when I was little (I've been interested in military history for a long time :)... and just the other day someone asked me how my "reacting" was going (I think I've managed to keep my patience with most people recently?!).
                        [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1]Miss Lisa-Marie Clark[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
                        [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1][I][FONT=Book Antiqua]Long, long years have passed, and though he comes no more,
                        Yet my heart will startling beat with each footfall at my door.
                        I gaze o'er the hill where he waved his last adieu,
                        But no gallant lad I see in his faded coat of blue.[/FONT][/I] [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

Comment

In my neck of the woods folks have a tendency to drop the L's completely when there is an 'l,d' combination, i.e. "Boy, she really gave me the code shoder". But I think the 'Calvary' thing is a nationwide epidemic - I've heard it said that way all over the country. I do love those regional dialects though. They're a lot of fun to study and hear.

While not period, I have always liked the term 'hot water heater'. Why do you need to heat water that's already hot? Shouldn't it be 'water heater'?
                          Michael Comer
                          one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw
                            While not period, I have always liked the term 'hot water heater'. Why do you need to heat water that's already hot? Shouldn't it be 'water heater'?
                            And "fire-grilled." With what other element can you grill something?! I'd pay to see someone water-grill a cheeseburger.
                            Jason R. Wickersty
                            http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
                            Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
                            Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
                            Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
                            Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Working...
                            X