Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health and reenactors.......

Comrades,
    I just wanted to take a minute a speak about getting yourself checked out regularly, especially as you start getting past 30. I had an unpleasant experience this past Christmas Eve, and I thought I'd share it with you just to put the record straight, especially with the rumour mill running the way things are these days, and to maybe give you something to think about as well.
    On Christmas Eve I went for a short walk to take in the stars and some fresh air. On my way home, I had a massive chest pain that hit me like I'd never had before. I have Asthma, but it's usually really under control, and at first I thought this was just an attack coming on, but though I was within a half-block of my house, I was in fear of actually making it to my front door. Fortunately, I was able to get inside, and had my son call 911. I spent my Christmas in the ER, being diagnosed with Angina Pectoris, brought on by the narowing of an artery. After a follow-up with my personal physician and a stress test at the cardiologist, I was scheduled for an angiogram yeesterday, the 20th, where it was discovered that I had one artery 90% blocked and another 60-70% blocked. I was immidieatly transferred down to Maine Medical center where they performed an Angioplasty and inserted two stents to open the arteries and restore the blood flow. I've just returned home, and although I'm quite sore, I feel 100% better, and much relieved that it wasn't worse than it was. It could have been much worse.
    The problem I had is one that could happen to any of us, as the narrowing of the arteries comes on so slowly that you may not have any symptoms at all until it strikes you, and then it might be too late. My condition apparently came on as a result of other medical complications I had this last year. I thought my occasional shortness of breath was just being a bit out of shape, due to nursing an achille's injury and a hernia. It was, after all, the first warning signs of a more serious condition, and the more I tried to get into shape, the less it bothered me, although actually growing worse with time.
    What I'm getting at is that even if you exercise regularly and watch your diet well, there is no excuse for not having a stress test to see what your cardiovascular system is really doing. Don't ignore the signs, chest pain, shortness of breath, tiredness, muscle aches and pain in your arm, shoulder, or neck. It's not worth risking your life ignoring it, and as I found out, it can come on very quickly and very hard.
    The proceedure I underwent was not overly painful, but it wasn't a lot of fun either, especially when they start inserting tubes into the femoral artery, and I'll be on very light duty for another week or so. After that, I'll be slowly working back into shape and getting ready for the upcoming campaigns.
    Anyway, that's probably more than you really wanted to hear, but it's something that I feel needs to be said. No matter hopw great a shape you might think you are in, you really ought to take the time to make certain that those little nagging pains aren't a sign of something more serious. Diet, exercise, and stress reduction are the keys, along with a good sit-down talk with your doctor.
    Thanks to all those who have called and emailed me with encouragement. I appreciate the comradeship, and am looking forward to a great year.
    respects
    Last edited by 1stMaine; 01-21-2004, 09:29 PM.
    Tim Kindred
    Medical Mess
    Solar Star Lodge #14
    Bath, Maine

Re: Health and reenactors.......

Hope your recovery is swift and your typing finger remains functional.
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B
    Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
    Outpost III

Comment

Tim,

This is the first I heard about your health problem. My father had a quadruple bypass two years ago and all the advice you have given here is exactly what his doctor told him. It certainly pays to have a regular physical regardless of your age.

Glad to hear you are on the mend.
      Jim Kindred

Comment

And in the aftermath---make sure your pards have a general idea of how to deal with you should you get over extended at an event, and will give you an appropriate order in such tones that you will obey. Each of us is valuable to the overall effort of the hobby, and a loss from such neglect is especially saddening.

In my extended circle of friends, there is a gentleman who is an exceptionally hard worker, with a large command. He experienced a similar crisis, after a full five days of on-site event direction. In the aftermath, a junior officer has taken charge of him to ensure that, at events, he eats, drinks, takes his medicine, and is separated enough from the duties of command to take a short nap. My job is to send a prepared dinner plate of the sort of stuff he is supposed to eat, rather than the variations of greasy pig we are so fond of at events.

When the junior officer is unsucessful in curtailing this dynamo, his final threat seems to be "now Sir, if you don't stop and rest, Mrs. Lawson will come down here......."

"Don't Make Me Come Down There" Ladies Aid and Terrorist Society,
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

And what Mrs. Lawson describes is one appropriate way for a civilian section of a club to be supportive to the military section, without compromising any scenarios... a young fellow from the military areas can be sent for the officer's plate--though she may have to do some quick talking later to explain why a possibly-opposite-side soldier was retrieving a plate from her home! LOL

If one does have serious health issues (and even not-so-serious things can get out of hand in a "field" situation) it's important for those around you to know it exists, and what they might do if they notice A, B, or C.

For me, it's asthma--asthma that I've been away from for nearly 10 years, but which has returned with a vengeance this past year, and I actually forget that I can DO something about it, until I'm rather pale blue around the lips and very uncomfortable. I keep my nebulizer and stuff near an electrical source, which means being on top of things for the best treatment. So when David notices me shifting my upper back inside my corset, arching and stretching, he reminds me that I'm getting tight and can't breath, and relocates me to a treatment-available area. He'll see it before I notice it--and many other conditions can be helped the same way.

Best wishes for your continued improvement, Mr. Kindred!
          Regards,
          Elizabeth Clark

Comment

A word about smoking....

I was grateful yesterday to hear from my good friend, Tim Kindred, that he was doing well and that the insertion of the stents has vastly improved his overall condition. His wise words of advice to us all should not be ignored in our joy at hearing medical science has helped him cheat the Grim Reaper in a way that would have been undreamed of during the era were so admire.

But I'd like to take this discussion one step further and exhort all of you out there who still smoke to consider quitting. Study after study has shown that the single most important factor in reducing the risk of heart disease and death is to not smoke. If you now do so, please consider quitting. And if our younger members on this forum are thinking of starting, please don't.

While tobacco was a mainstay of the Civil War soldier (and many civilians, including rural Southern women who took snuff and chewing "bakky"), we should not let our zeal to be authentic become an excuse for continuing a habit that in most cases leads to lung disease, heart disease, and often death.

Please forgive my stump speech, but many of us are still mourning the loss of our comrade, Don Hubbard. I don't want to see my many smoking friends follow in his footsteps any sooner than the Dear Lord desires. And no, not even my enemies.
            Bill Cross
            The Rowdy Pards

Comment

I think Ill have a stress test. I turned 41 this year. I thought my shortness of breath was also from being out os shape and catching pneumonia at Raymond MS. a couple of years ago. That also made me give up smoking I didnt want to die from a lung diease. Thanks Brian Wilson
              Last edited by btwils; 01-24-2004, 12:09 PM.

Comment

1stMaine,
                I wish you a swift recovery.
                Hope all is well now and will be well now.

I am fortunate enough to be in good shape and condition and am maintaning it well, and have a FEW years untill 30 (And life starts to kick in hard)

Sincerely,
                Andrew Stebbins

Comment

Hello Everybody! I would agree that smoking is a habit that should be kicked and never picked up again (if you're already in the habit). I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but it's just some friendly advice. My dad smoked since he was in his late teens and it's played with him since. He had a heart attack at age 31, and had some heart problems afterward. I eventually got him to stop through buying nicotine patches for him and got him into another habit to replace smoking (chewing gum). He's 46 now and has improved from his smoking days. This is why I never plan on picking up on smoking. Well, I hope that helps and best of luck Mr. Kindred!!
                  Richard Condon

114th PVI, Co. A "Collis' Zouaves"
                  &
                  "The Marked Mess"

Comment

Working...
                  X