Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information for an article requested.

Folks,

I am currently trying to collect information regarding preservation money raising events held within the past year (2003) to write an article for "Hallowed Ground", the CWPT magazine. What I am looking for is the name of the event, organizer's/group's/participant messes' names, amount donated, cause donation was made for, and any pictures (electronic), that I could use.

I would also like to give them a list of 2004 events whose goal is to raise funds for preservation.

The article is to be 300 words.

Any help would be appreciated with this. Send information to emails below.
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Re: Information for an article requested.

Dusty,

This is a little "out of the box" for what you're requesting but thought you might find it of interest. The PLHA (Palmetto Living History Assoc) and the Palmetto Battalion (yes, a mainstream organization but at least preservation minded) have teamed up over the last several years for a "Flags and Faces" campaign. Essentially the concept is to work in conjunction with the SC Confederate Relic Room & Museum (a state agency) in purchasing as many ID'd SC images off the private collector's market along with conserving SC's CW flags. Since 2000, the three groups have purchased four unique images of SC soldiers off the market and added them to the Relic Room's already extensive collection for the enjoyment of everyone, not just the collector.

In March of 2003, a wonderful image and ladder-back reunion badge came on the market ID'd to Pvt. John L. Long, 4th SCVI. Private Long was photographed in his new Richmond jacket circa mid-1862. The image is crystal clear and the badge is ultra-rare as it has his company & regiment designation integrated into the "ladders". The 4th SC was virtually destroyed in the Seven Days battles and images and artifacts of/from it's members are almost non-existant. The Palmetto Battalion, by group vote, designated $3000 toward the purchase with the Relic Room throwing in the remaining $400. A nice example of a public/non-profit partnership if you ask me. Currently, the image and badge are available for all South Carolinians &/or vistitors to enjoy instead of being bought and sold for profit. There is nothing wrong with collecting CW items per se but SC images, to me at least, are special and should be placed in a repository for everyone.

I've asked Joe Long, RR Historian and member of the AC, to post the image when he has time. Hope this helps althought it may not be what your after. Nonetheless, it's a nice concept and the type of partnerships that we as authentics need to do more of. My 2 cents. Thanks you for your efforts with the article.

Regards,

Neill Rose
    PLHA

Comment

Neill et al,

I have posted this request for information on four different fora to get all levels of reenacting involved in the article. I came up with the idea primarily as a response to the recent negative PR received from Insomniac and the FHM article.

We need some good PR in my opinion and the CWPT magazine is about as large a circulation as I can expect.

I hope others come forward with info for me.....
      Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

:D :D
        As requested - and let me echo Neill here: this is a WONDERFUL image - the picture I'm attaching does NOT do it justice. The ladder badge is a beauty, too, but the mid-'62 image - and the excellent view of the jacket! - are the real attractions from the AC point of view, I think.

Many thanks to the Palmetto Battalion for doing this for us, and rescuing some excellent South Carolina history from potential loss!

Oh - and before it occurs to anybody - this particular Private Long is no known relation of mine, more's the pity, so it's not just "ancestor worship" making me happy about him -!

-Joe Long
        Curator of History
        South Carolina Confederate Relic Room and Museum
        Attached Files
        Joe Long
        Curator of Education
        South Carolina Confederate Relic Room
        Columbia, South Carolina

[I][COLOR=DarkRed]Blood is on my sabre yet, for I never thought to wipe it off. All this is horrid; but such are the horrors of war.[/COLOR][/I] Wade Hampton III, 2 January 1863

Comment

Working...
        X