Shipping weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping weapons

I need to ship my Enfield to Mr. Zimmerman for defarbing and need an appropriate box to do so. I would like to have a box to accomodate the assembled musket, however the best box that I have been able to find is 48 inches long, in which case I'll have to disassemble the musket.

Does anyone know where I can get the proper sized box?

Thanks.
    Roy Eanes

Re: Shipping weapons

Roy,

When I have to ship a weapon that exceeds the lenght of the box, I take two boxes and make one of the lenght required. Just make sure you overlap them as much as the material will allow and use lots of tape. Works in the moving business and works shipping rifles.
    Jim Kindred

Comment

I would try looking in your local gun shop for a cheap molded plastic rifle case. They have just about every size needed to fit a wide range of long arms. You could then package this in brown shipping paper, and feel confident that it is better protected than a cardboard box could ever be.
      Michael Semann
      AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards,

Roy Eanes
        Roy Eanes

Comment

Originally posted by gentofthesouth1861
          I would try looking in your local gun shop for a cheap molded plastic rifle case. They have just about every size needed to fit a wide range of long arms. You could then package this in brown shipping paper, and feel confident that it is better protected than a cardboard box could ever be.
          Roy
          UPS will not accept boxes wrapped in paper and most gun shops do not sell plastic rifle cases long enough for a musket. But whatever you uses make sure that the ends are padded especially the but end, because UPS and USPS employ trained gorillas they love to hear things go crunch.
          Terry

Comment

Re: Use USPS

I shipped my weapon that I sold to somebody with no problems. THey didnt ask any questions about what it was and gave me no problems. I still had the original box that it was shipped to me in so I used that. I put some of that bubble wrap stuff at both ends so to "protect" it from the USPS men. I also took off the cone so if they asked what it was I could say that it was in a no firing state. I then just taped it shut, took it to the post office and mailed it. I insured it for $600.00 and mailed it. Got there with no problem and that was the end of that. It got there with no problems.

Comment

Get a couple priority mail triangular "tube" mailers from the post office and tape 'em together.

To see rule on mailing muskets, go to the post office Domestic Mail Manual C024 at http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm/C024.htm

"2.0 Antique Firearms
              Antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces may be accepted for mailing without regard to 1.3 through 1.6.

3.0 Rifles and Shotguns
              Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 1.1e and 1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 1.1e."

from the ATF at http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/geninfo.htm

"Under section 921(a)(16) of the GCA, the term antique firearm means:

"(A) Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and

(B) Any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica--

(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or

(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."

Under section 5845(g) of the NFA, antique firearm means:

"...Any firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after 1898) and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."

To illustrate the distinction between the two definitions of antique firearm under the GCA and NFA, a rifle manufactured in or before 1898 would not come under the provisions of the GCA, even though it uses conventional ammunition. However, if such rifle has a barrel of less than 16 inches in length AND uses conventional fixed ammunition which is available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade, it would still be a firearm subject to the provisions of the NFA.

An antique firearm as defined in BOTH the GCA and NFA is exempt from all of the provisions and restrictions contained in both laws. Consequently, such an antique firearm may be bought, sold, transported, shipped, etc., without regard to the requirements of these laws."
              Daniel Fodera
              Palmetto Living History Assoc

Comment

I vote we put this subject in the FAQ section as it has been beat to death during the past two months.

The rules are simple and easy to understand, you may run into a clerk that doesn't know and if you do take that opportunity to educate them.

Folks, shipping a firearm, modern or antique, is not rocket science, don't make it any harder than it is.
                Jim Kindred

Comment

Originally posted by major
                  Roy
                  UPS will not accept boxes wrapped in paper and most gun shops do not sell plastic rifle cases long enough for a musket. But whatever you uses make sure that the ends are padded especially the but end, because UPS and USPS employ trained gorillas they love to hear things go crunch.
                  Terry
                  Terry,

Thanks. I'll get some boxes and tape them together. In the back of my mind I remembered the no paper wrapped boxes rule.

Regards,

Roy
                  Roy Eanes

Comment

Working...
                  X