134 Columbus Street
    Charleston, SC 29403-4800

Nora Kravec
    Morris Island Coalition
    Last edited by ; 02-17-2004, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Re: Save Morris Island!

All,

Here's a different kind of preservation donation request in that all we're asking for is a postage stamp and your time to write a letter.

The developer is moving ahead with his plans to develop Morris Island. Recently he applied for a state permit to allow 20 wells and septic tanks on 62 acres on Cummings Point. We need your help to let the state DHEC know that we oppose this inappropriate permit request. Please send DHEC a letter opposing the permit application and requesting that a public hearing be held on the matter. Please send your comments now --- letters must be received by March 8, 2004. Folks, its only 37 cents to mail your letter and it could make a great deal of difference in this fight. Finally, non South Carolinians are encouraged to send letters as well. Morris Island in its current state belongs to all Americans!

Together we can save Morris Island!

Here's a sample letter requesting a public hearing.You may use it, or compose your own letter.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      February 20, 2004

S.C. Dept. of Health & Environmental Control
      Attn: Subdivision Supervisor
      4045 Bridgeview Drive, Suite 154
      North Charleston, SC 29405

Reference: # 450-00-00-013

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to inform you of my opposition to the Cummings Point, LLC permit application for 20 wells and septic tanks on Morris Island. There is insufficient high ground to accommodate the proposed development, and if this permit is granted, our coast will be subjected to fecal coli form contamination. In addition, the tract is unsuitable for any development that would require 20 houses being built and served by a common tank. This is evidenced by the Charleston County Comprehensive Plan that calls for only 2 units to be built on the proposed property. Just as importantly, Morris Island is essentially a vast military cemetery as well as an archeological treasure. Morris Island bears countless graves of soldiers who were killed in battle or died of disease from both sides of the Civil War. Further, the island holds an incredible variety of valuable relics and artifacts just below its surface as well as examples of priceless surviving military field fortifications.

I ask that a public hearing be held on this request before any action is taken by your department. I would appreciate hearing from you as soon as possible regarding my request, especially in the event there is an opportunity to appeal or intervene to prevent this inappropriate development.

Sincerely,

/////////////////

Thanks in advance,
      on behalf of the Morris Island Coalition,

Comment

A new article in SC's State Newspaper - Is there more revisionism to this idealized "history" going on??

"Let's build 20 houses on MI since there were two there prewar.Hey, I'll even throw you a five acre bone!!" :tounge_sm

YOU DECIDE!! :sarcastic

"No septic tanks on the graves of heroes."
        [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]David Chinnis[/FONT]
        Palmetto Living History Association
        [url]www.morrisisland.org[/url]

[i]"We have captured one fort--Gregg--and one charnel house--Wagner--and we have built one cemetery, Morris Island. The thousand little sand-hills that in the pale moonlight are a thousand headstones, and the restless ocean waves that roll and break on the whitened beach sing an eternal requiem to the toll-worn gallant dead who sleep beside."

Clara Barton
        October 11, 1863[/i]

Comment

From The State article:

But Huffman thinks history isn’t the true reason people are fighting his plan. His opponents simply don’t want any more development on sea islands, he said.

Yeah, right......

Nora Kravec
          Morris Island Coalition

No septic tanks on the graves of heroes!
          Last edited by ; 02-22-2004, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Morris Island is featured today in Parade Magazine's Intelligence Report, too!

An excerpt from Parade's "Intelligence Report":
            "America has lost more than 20% of its Civil War sites due to development and sprawl. On Tuesday, the Civil War Preservation Trust will unveil a report on the most endangered battlefields...... Topping the list are two famous sites: Morris Island, in South Carolina, best known as the place where the 54th Massachusetts Regiment, comprised of African-Americans, made its valiant charge against Fort Wagner, immortalized in the 1989 film Glory. A planned housing development could destroy what remains of Fort Wagner, and affect Fort Sumter, too".

For more details on Tuesday's news conference to announce the Ten Most Endangered Battlefields in the U.S., visit www.civilwar.org

Nora Kravec
            Morris Island Coalition

No septic tanks on the graves of heroes!
            Last edited by ; 02-22-2004, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Petition On-Line!

For those interested/concerned there is a petition that can be located from the site www.morrisisland.org . While the force of a petition isn't huge, it certainly can't hurt!
              Being one of the top of the country's Most Endangered Battlefields is not an enviable spot but if it stops development it's a good thing!!

[i]"We have captured one fort--Gregg--and one charnel house--Wagner--and we have built one cemetery, Morris Island. The thousand little sand-hills that in the pale moonlight are a thousand headstones, and the restless ocean waves that roll and break on the whitened beach sing an eternal requiem to the toll-worn gallant dead who sleep beside."

Clara Barton
              October 11, 1863[/i]

Comment

Re: Petition On-Line!

For authenticities sake, here are a couple of period images of "structures" from Morris Island. Maybe this is what the developer wants to build? Ya think?!? :wink_smil
                Attached Files
                Last edited by SCSecesh; 02-26-2004, 04:20 PM.

Clara Barton
                October 11, 1863[/i]

Comment

Unpublished Images

The following images have never been published. They are sketches from a NY Engineer Unit stationed on Morris Island. The first view looks south towards Lighthouse Inlet and Folly Island. The second north towards the Harbor/Sumter/Moultrie. Special thanks to the folks on Sullivans Island for the images - you know who you are!!
                  Attached Files

Clara Barton
                  October 11, 1863[/i]

Comment

I recommend members of the Morris Island Coalition contact The Cidadel and The Citadel Alumni Association to see if they would like to add their voice to help save the island. I graduated from there and I know that the Star of the West is a major source of pride for The Cidadel. It's on our class rings.

Warren Clark
                    Class of 86

Comment

Way ahead of you Warren. I tried that over a month ago to no avail -- yet. Just my opinion mind you, and not to put too fine a point on things, but our alumni association has a professionally diverse membership and while many of us feel passionately that this development of Morris Island must be stopped, there are likely folks among the membership who would take a different view. Put another way, one man's "preservation fight" is often viewed by another as bothersome "meddling" in the way of progress. At any rate, it is politically difficult for a group like an alumni association to come out and publicly state a position on an issue other than those directly affecting the college.

Cordially,

Comment

We would love to have a member of the Citadel Alumni Association working with us. If you Citadel men keep calling and urging maybe it will help.
                        The broadest possible coalition will sweep with the broadest brush and I think we're gonna need a big one!!

Here's something especially for you (from an original image):
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by SCSecesh; 02-26-2004, 09:22 PM.

Clara Barton
                        October 11, 1863[/i]

Comment

Friends,

I don't normally repeat an appeal like this, but we're getting traction on this issue with the SC State Department of Health and Environmental Control. Suffice to say, the sheer volume of mail requesting a hearing, and the fact the mail is coming from all over the country is having a profound effect. Bottomline: We need to keep up the fire. If you haven't written, please do so now. If you have, you have our profound thanks. Please remember, this is not only a fight to preserve a piece of SC's history and heritage. If you happen to from NY, Maine, Connecticutt or Massachusetts or your family was there during the war, you have a special stake in this fight. The simple fact is, of the over 1000 KIA's whose mortal remains still rest on Morris Island, the vast majority are Federals who enlisted and served in regiments from these four states. In a special sense, Morris Island is really another American tomb of the unknown soldier.

Here's the address and sample letter again.

Together we can stop the rape of Morris Island!

Here's a sample letter requesting a public hearing.You may use it, or compose your own letter.
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          February 20, 2004

S.C. Dept. of Health & Environmental Control
                          Attn: Subdivision Supervisor
                          4045 Bridgeview Drive, Suite 154
                          North Charleston, SC 29405

Reference: # 450-00-00-013

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to inform you of my opposition to the Cummings Point, LLC permit application for 20 wells and septic tanks on Morris Island. There is insufficient high ground to accommodate the proposed development, and if this permit is granted, our coast will be subjected to fecal coli form contamination. In addition, the tract is unsuitable for any development that would require 20 houses being built and served by a common tank. This is evidenced by the Charleston County Comprehensive Plan that calls for only 2 units to be built on the proposed property. Just as importantly, Morris Island is essentially a vast military cemetery as well as an archeological treasure. Morris Island bears countless graves of soldiers who were killed in battle or died of disease from both sides of the Civil War. Further, the island holds an incredible variety of valuable relics and artifacts just below its surface as well as examples of priceless surviving military field fortifications.

I ask that a public hearing be held on this request before any action is taken by your department. I would appreciate hearing from you as soon as possible regarding my request, especially in the event there is an opportunity to appeal or intervene to prevent this inappropriate development.

Sincerely,

/////////////////

Cordially,

Comment

- BUMP -

Still time to write a letter and gave it reach DHEC by the 8th of March, but you'll need to act quickly. See previous post. We appreciate your help!

Cordially,

Comment

Voices from Morris Island....

Major Peter. F. Stevens was Superintendent of the Citadel who on January 9th 1861 ordered Cadets from the Citadel manning a battery of guns on Morris Island to open fire on the "Star of the West" as the ship was attempting to re-supply Fort Sumter’s garrison. He was in charge of the Point and Iron batteries on Morris Island during the siege of Fort Sumter that began the Civil War and included the following observation in his April 18, 1863 report of that action:

“There is one somewhat remarkable incident which I beg to leave here to record. On Thursday evening our camp was thrown into considerable excitement by the report that the demand was to be made for the surrender of the fort, and when it was reported that a white flag had been sent to Sumter our batteries were all manned, and the men in eager expectations were watching the fort. I was standing on the traverse closing the flank of the Iron battery. A number of men were around me. Suddenly the United States flag on Fort Sumter was seen to split in two distinct parts, dividing from the front edge to the back along the lower extremity of the “Union.” I remarked to the men around me, “I wonder if that is emblematical?” Several remarked that it appeared ominous. For several minutes it flew in this condition, when it was hauled down and another flag raised in its stead.”

The War of the Rebellion A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies Series I – Volume I. Government Printing Office. Washington D.C. p. 49.

Note; Both of the flags that Major Stevens viewed from his post on Morris Island are in the possession of the National Park Service and are on display in Charleston. The torn garrison flag is located at the Fort Sumter Visitors Center in Liberty Square. The replacement flag is located at Fort Sumter.

Harriet Tubman, according to legend, is said to have served Major Robert Gould Shaw his last meal before the July 18, 1863 attack on Battery Wagner. Tubman escaped from slavery and led many others to freedom, earning the nickname “Moses.” She worked as a spy and scout for Union forces in the southeast.

“I looked at my hands to see if I was the same person now I was free. There was such a glory over everything….I felt like I was in heaven.”

Bradford, Sarah H. Harriet Tubman, the Moses of Her People. Carol Publishing Company. Secaucus, NJ. 1997 reprint of 1886 publication, 149pp, illus.

Sergeant William H. Carney was born into slavery in Virginia. His father escaped to freedom and later purchased his family out of slavery. It was on the parapet of Battery Wagner that Sergeant Carney risked his life in an action for which he received the Medal of Honor. A member of the 54th Massachusetts Volunteers, in 1900 Carney became the first African American to receive this award. His citation reads in part: “When the color sergeant was shot down, this soldier grasped the flag, led the way to the parapet, and planted the colors thereon. When the troops fell back he brought off the flag, under a fierce fire in which he was twice severely wounded.” Before collapsing from his wounds, he told his comrades:

“Boys, I only did my duty. The flag never touched the ground.”

Congressional Medal of Honor Society

Clara Barton is remembered as America’s first battlefield nurse. She witnessed the July 18, 1863 assault on Battery Wagner and gave first aid to the wounded of the 54th Massachusetts. She wrote of her experiences that night:

“I can never forget the patient bravery with which they endured their wounds received in the cruel assault upon Wagner, as hour after hour they lay in the wet sand, just back of the growling guns waiting their turn for the knife or the splint and bandage…and when ever I met one who was giving his life out with his blood, I could not forbear hastening to tell him…that he was the soldier of Freedom…”

Oates, Steven B. A Woman of Valor Clara Barton and the Civil War. The Free Press. New York, N.Y. 1994. p.176.

W. Gordon McCabe, 1st Lieutenant, Artillery, C.S.A. was serving on General Roswell Ripley’s staff during the evacuation of Morris Island. He wrote of his experiences surrounding that event:

Sept. 6th, 1863. The Gen’l and I went down last night and saw the fun…We first went to Battery Bee & Fort Moultrie, which the enemy were to attack with monitors…It was a beautiful night overhead but the roar of artillery was terrific. Two monitors were sweeping the water approaches to Gregg & the land batteries & mortars were playing on Wagner. The mortar practice is “beautiful exceedingly” – at a distance….

…we saw the brilliant flash & heard the deafening thunder of a 15 in. Dahlgren from a monitor, who had steamed in close to Sumpter, but was opening on our Sullivan’s Island Batteries. In a moment more, we were flying over the waves back to Sullivan’s Island, our oarsmen straining every nerve. The whole of the lower end of Morris Island in the direction of Wagner was lighted up by a brilliant calcium light, & the mortar hulks & land mortar batteries were busy at work, the 15 in. literally raining upon Wagner…

…the enemy have come through Vincent’s Creek in their barges, oars muffled, & boat howitzers mounted forward. Lesesne has seen them, but he just steps down from the parapet & awakens his cannoneers, who are sleeping at the guns….

Sept 7th. Stopped at Ft. Sumpter but a moment – the poor old place is knocked all to pieces – Major Elliott was sitting in his quarters with as severe a face as if he [wished he were] far away from wars and rumours of wars. I deliver my dispatches, & pull away for battery Gregg… As I drew near Battery Wagner the fire was terrific…It was now quite dark & the stars were shining down tranquilly from the beautiful summer sky, but Death was holding high carnival here amid the baleful glare of bursting shell, & the incessant roar of artillery….

Late at night…I pulled away for the city…The evacuation was skillfully performed…

Sept 8th. The Yankees seem greatly elated & are rushing all over Wagner & Gregg, peering into every hole and corner. I have been watching them a long time through the large telescope we have at Head Quarters. Well, they ought to be glad, the stout little earthwork has held out fifty seven days against the most terrible artillery fire to which any fort in the annals of war has ever been subjected. An English officer, who was in the fort, & who had been all throu’ the Crimean campaign told me that Sevastapol was child’s play to it. It has demonstrated that sand forts are the most invulnerable to such enormous ordnance as is now in use.

From an unpublished diary dated 17 August–23 October 1863, kept by William Gordon McCabe (1841–1920) in the possession of the Virginia Historical Society, Richmond Virginia.while serving on the staff of Roswell Sabine Ripley at Charleston, S.C., concerning military operations at batteries Gregg and Wagner, Fort Sumter, and Morris Island (section 1),

Brig. General Quincy A. Gillmore was in charge of the operations against Morris Island in 1863. On the occasion of the evacuation of the island he wrote the following to the troops under his command:

Hdqrs. Dept. of the South

In the Field, Morris Island, S. C. Sept. 15, 1863

It is with no ordinary feelings of gratification and pride that the brigadier-general commanding is enabled to congratulate this army upon the signal success which has crowned the enterprise in which it has been engaged. Fort Sumter is destroyed. The scene where our country’s flag suffered its first dishonor you made the theater of one of its proudest triumphs. ….

Forts Wagner and Gregg, works rendered memorable by their protracted resistance and the sacrifice of life they have cost, have also been wrested from the enemy by your persevering courage and skill, and the graves of your comrades rescued from desecration and contumely.

You now hold in undisputed possession the whole of Morris Island, and the city and harbor of Charleston lie at the mercy of your artillery from the very spot where the first shot was fired at your country’s flag and the rebellion itself inaugurated.

To you, the officers and soldiers of this command and to the gallant navy which has co-operated with you, are due the thanks of your commander and your country. You were called upon to encounter untold privations and dangers, to undergo unremitting and exhausting labors, to sustain severe and disheartening reverses. How nobly your patriotism and zeal have responded to the call, the result of the campaign will show and your commanding general gratefully bears witness.

Q. A. Gillmore
                              Brigadier-General, Commanding

The War of the Rebellion A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies Series I – Volume XXVII. Government Printing Office. Washington D.C. p.94

Esther Hill Hawks was one of the first women to earn a degree in medicine. She was in Beaufort teaching newly freed slaves when the wounded of the 54th Mass were brought to a makeshift hospital. She gave medical aid and comfort to the soldiers. She wrote of her visit to Battery Wagner on Morris Island in July 1864 during the bombardment of Charleston:

“My mind went back through the short year that has passed, to the eventful 18th of July/63, when the whole country was thrilled with the daring charge on this most formidable Fort: and I remembered how the torn-and mangled bodies were brought into hospital to us; - how brave and patient the men who had dared and lost so much – and it was hard to realize that my feet stood on the soil soaked through and through with our Countries’ richest blood! I should have taken off the shoes from my feet and with head uncover’d, trod with silent reverence over such hallowed earth! – but all the excitement of actual war is about us.”

Schwartz ,Gerald, ed. A Woman Doctor’s Civil War- Esther Hill Hawks Diary. University of South Carolina Press. 1984. p.88.

Colonel Charles W. Trowbridge delivered a speech during the mustering out ceremony of the 33rd US Colored Troops (formerly the First South Carolina Volunteers) on Morris Island, February 9, 1866:

“It seems fitting to me, that the last hours of our existence as a regiment should pass amidst the unmarked graves of your comrades, at Fort Wagner. Near you rest the bones of Colonel Shaw, buried by an enemy’s hand, in the same grave with his black soldiers, who fell at his side: where in the future your children’s children will come on pilgrimages to do homage to the ashes of those who fell in this glorious struggle.”

Higginson, T. W. Army life in a Black Regiment. W. W. Norton. New York, New York. 1984. Appendix E.

Private Abraham J. Palmer of the 48th New York Volunteers wrote in the regiment’s history of his return to the site of Battery Wagner on Morris Island in 1874 that:

“ …the day may come when opposing sections of a restored Union will unite to erect upon that mound (Wagner) a monument to the heroes who fell there on either side. Let this be a noble shaft, typical of the brave spirits who loved their lives less than they loved their honor, and who died upon those sands, lifting them forever into undying renown.”

Bradshaw, Timothy, Jr. Battery Wagner. Palmetto Historical Works. Columbia 1993. p. 116.

There is no ground more hallowed or worthy of preservation. Please help us save Morris Island. Please join the CWPT and donate generously. www.civilwar.org.

Cordially,

Comment

Working...
                              X