The Jenkins Plantation Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jenkins Plantation Museum

This has actually been going on for some time. I'll try and get to the site and post some pics of the work so far. Gen. Jenkins' home is starting to look great, getting down to the original brick of the mansion.

The historic Jenkins Plantation Museum will be closed while undergoing preservation actions by the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, effective immediately. The USACE owns the property and the West Virginia Division of Culture and History operates the facility. Actions include repointing the masonry, roofing work, window replacement and moisture infiltration, among others. The work done is intended to preserve the original characteristics of the house. The USACE anticipates that the project will take 12 to 18 months to complete.

The goal of the Division of Culture and History is to preserve and promote the rich heritage of this area. With this in mind, the house is destined for renovation. Restoration to its mid-19th Century appearance will follow.

The Museum was recently added to the Civil War Discovery Trail, which links more than 500 sites in 28 states to inspire and to teach the story of the Civil War and its enduring impact on America.

Plans for expanded activities for the future include house tours, reenactments, and special events, from musical and dramatic presentations to seasonal programs. Ultimately, an interpreted working plantation is envisioned. More information.

Follow the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers restoration project for the Plantation

It has survived wars, floods, wind and weather. Since 1835 a large brick house, essentially a mansion in its time and place, has stood sentinel on the banks of the Ohio River. It is the home of the Jenkins family, the most notable of whom was General Albert Gallatin Jenkins, C.S.A. His family owned more than 4,000 acres and maintained a successful plantation at Green Bottom, in what was then western Virginia.

In an area where both Union and Confederate sympathies were strongly held, Jenkins was a figure who was either despised or admired. His Border Rangers made bold raids into the enemy territory of Ohio. Educated in Pennsylvania and having served in the U.S. Congress, he faced the ultimate question of all civil wars: to choose which side he could in good conscience commit. This aspect of the site is most appealing to history enthusiasts and those enjoying dramatic story.

Not only were the Jenkins family part and parcel of the Plantation, but so were more than 50 slaves who worked and lived at Green Bottom. Imagine the feelings of those destined to be treated as property, living within yards of potential freedom. Their story is another important part of this site.

The Jenkins Plantation
    Built in 1835 by Captain William Jenkins
    Home of Confederate Brigadier General
    Albert Gallatin Jenkins
    8814 Ohio River Road
    Lesage WV 25537
    (304)558-0220 ext 127
    jenkinsplantation@wvculture.org

[B][SIZE="3"]N.E. Miller[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"
    -Marcus Tullius Cicero[/I][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

Re: The Jenkins Plantation Museum

Nick,

I hope things are going good with you. I just wanted to say thank you for posting this great news of Jenkins' home.

John A. Miller, Director
    Monterey Pass Battlefield Park

Comment

Re: The Jenkins Plantation Museum

I didn't find out about this until this morning, but for those interested:

Aaron Smith, archaeologist with the Huntington District Army Corps of Engineers, will discuss the Jenkins Plantation stabilization and restoration work.

His lecture will be Thursday, January 28 at 7 PM at Grave Creek Mound Historic Site in Moundsville, WV. The lecture is free and open to the public. (It's the kickoff for a monthly series at the Mound.)

For information call Andrea Keller, cultural program coordinator, at (304)-843-4128.
      Becky Morgan

Comment

Working...
      X