Antietam Soldier Burial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antietam Soldier Burial

SARATOGA SPRINGS — An honor guard leaves today to bring home the remains of a Union Civil War soldier killed 147 years ago at the Battle of Antietam.

The unknown New York soldier’s remains will be brought to Saratoga Springs where his coffin and an historical display will be available for public viewing from 2-8 p.m. Wednesday at the New York State Military Museum on Lake Avenue.

This will be followed by interment with full military honors at Gerald B.H. Solomon Saratoga National Cemetery at 10 a.m. Thursday. Major Gen. Joseph Taluto, adjutant general of New York National Guard, will be among the officials on hand for burial services.

The soldier’s remains were discovered late last October by a hiker at Antietam National Battlefield, where more than 23,000 soldiers were killed or wounded during 12 hours of fighting on Sept. 17, 1862. Thursday’s burial will on the battle’s 147th anniversary.

From Friday to Sunday, Sept. 18-20, a major Civil War encampment featuring camp life, military drill and numerous re-enactors will be held at Congress Park in Saratoga Springs. Re-enactors will portray President Lincoln, Gen. Ulysses S. Grant and his wife, Julia, and Gen. Robert E. Lee.

Most soldiers were re-interred at Antietam National Cemetery shortly after the war. Somehow, the unidentified New York soldier’s remains were overlooked. Excelsior-style uniform buttons found with his remains identify him as being from New York.

The original sighting revealed four bones, a jaw fragment containing four teeth and a piece of leather at the mouth of a ground hog burrow.

Shortly after being discovered, National Park Service archeologists conducted excavations at the site, led by Stephen R. Potter, regional archeologist, national capital region. He has prepared a briefing statement about the excavation that provides insightful detail about the soldier, believed to be 17 to 19 years old.

“Open, well-defined suture lines of cranial (or skull) bones, the partial eruption of the third molar (wisdom tooth) and an unfused distal head to the right femur (thigh bone) provide the basis for estimating his age at time of death,” Potter wrote. “He was buried in a very shallow grave, probably no deeper than 16 to 18 inches. Over time, agricultural activity, combined with recent ground hog activity, severely disturbed his gravesite and skeletal remains.”

Archeologists recovered 401 fragments from 24 different bones out of a total of 206 in the adult human skeleton, most from the skull and both legs and feet.

“It is hoped that ongoing forensic research may, yet, provide more details about this young soldier,” Potter wrote.

The soldier died in an area of the battlefield known as Miller’s Cornfield, where fighting was concentrated from 5:45 to 9 a.m.

In addition to the soldier’s human remains, archeologists recovered seven coat buttons (3 New York State Excelsior buttons, 4 U.S. general service buttons) and two New York State cuff buttons from the left sleeve. “The two New York cuff buttons tells us that this was a New York State-issued coat or jacket and not a federal issue,” Potter wrote.

The fact that four New York Excelsior buttons had been replaced by four U.S. general service buttons leads researchers to believe the soldier was part of a veteran regiment that had seen hard campaigning.

Archeologists also found six tin-washed, 4-hole iron trouser buttons – used to attach suspender straps.

“The dark stain of the lower portion of a leather suspender strap and a badly corroded iron suspender adjuster were recorded in the field,” Potter wrote. “A U.S. waist belt plate, with oval studs on the back (the so-called puppy-paw back, an early war issue) was still attached to a portion of the leather belt, which the brass front of the buckle helped to preserve by precipitating cupric salts into the soil surrounding it.”

All artifacts will be buried with the soldier’s remains.

“Those are things he was wearing, they should buried with him,” Antietam Park Superintendent John Howard said.

Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Re: Antietam Soldier Burial

General Question
    Members of The 124th NYSV “Orange Blossoms” will be part of the Honor Guard at Camp Smith tomorrow Sept 15th, from 3:00 PM to 8:00 PM. Would it be proper to ware Leathers or just a belt with US buckle and white gloves? No Weapons are to be present.
    This Lads remains will be at the Chaple at Camp Smith, Peekskill, NY then transported to Saratoga on Sept. 16th.
    Dave Warringer Crpl
    Member Squatting Bullfrog Mess
    124th NYSV Orange Blossoms
    "Squat, my Bullfrogs."
    In Memory of Rufus Warringer
    20th NYS Militia Co B
    Killed at Antietum Sept 17, 1862

Comment

Did they get pictures of this stuff before they are going to bury the remains? (Sorry, but that is definitely picture worthy).

This is a fantastic story. Thank you for sharing this, Drew.
      -------------------------------
      Mods, you may delete this should you find this inappropriate. I just want to illustrate a point, here. :wink_smil

{What if something like this happened -lets just say- at the proposed Wilderness Walmart?} I know it's unlikely, but ... what if???
      Guy W. Gane III
      Casting Director/Owner
      Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
      49th NYVI Co. B
      The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

Yesterday at Camp Smith near Peekskill NY a Union Soldier was returned to New York after 146 years on The Battle Field at Sharpsburg.
        Dave Warringer Crpl
        "Squat, my Bullfrogs."
        20th NYS Militia Co B

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Gane III View Post
          Did they get pictures of this stuff before they are going to bury the remains? (Sorry, but that is definitely picture worthy).
          When the remains where first discovered I saw one article that had some photos of the relics, I would assume since archeologists excavated the remains the stuff was cataloged before they decided to re-bury it. Would be interesting to see an entire list of the artifacts recovered to see exactly what this guy had on him when he went in the ground,

Regards
          -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
          93rd New York Coffee Cooler
          [I]
          "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
          [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

My understanding is that they had 401 items, Most all are bone fragments along with the buttons, some material, US Belt buckle and a part of his shoe.
            Dave Warringer Crpl
            "Squat, my Bullfrogs."
            20th NYS Militia Co B

Comment

I was in Sharpsburg this weekend. Ranger Keith Snyder was one of the pallbearers and told me that he led tours, for years, over the spot where the remains were found. I joined a number of volunteers replanting the East Woods. With every spadeful of dirt I was hoping some kind of relic would turn up. No such luck.

Comment

Working...
              X