Is anyone shocked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is anyone shocked?

Many good comments and viewpoints have been presented here. I’ll just make a few of my own here. I’ve probably said some before now. Not sure I can add to anything or help, but I felt compelled to write.

While I see the recent trend of every authentic events being preservation oriented good and well…I also see it as verging on overkill. As Mark Mason pointed out, “it starts to add up in ones pocket book.” I have had to put off getting some additions for my kit to give towards preservation-but it’s not an issue with me and I don’t mind when it really comes down to it. I also give to events that I don’t attend when I can. You can also go to folks so much for preservation before they stop giving. Although I do what I can for Civil War preservation, I am first an historic preservationist. It is much broader than the war years. I belong to a few non Civil War related preservation groups because of my love for historic preservation in general. My first love of history began with the Civil War however and I haven’t forgotten that.

Dusty, I am not really that shocked to how many people took part in your survey. I’ve unofficially looked at the number of views for preservation related items and they just aren’t as frequently looked at as the others for some reason. I’ve never understood why though. I don’t really expect anyone that didn’t partake in the survey to comment here either-I may be wrong though. So why isn’t preservation and reenacting regarded as partners by a majority of re-enactors? Very hard to say. You wouldn’t want to put out a survey asking about that!

It wasn’t until I started attending more authentic events that I noticed and effort and drive being made for preservation. I know there are mainstream groups out there that do preservation work though. They’ve actually done some good things in regards to saving forts, battlefields, sites, etc. Although their view of historic preservation is sometimes a bit different and “old school.” I think the approach to how a site is preserved needs to be carefully considered and planned out. This goes for any level in this hobby.

One could actually say-if you are a living historian then you are doing something for battlefield preservation. By participating in this hobby, you are hopefully bringing awareness and information about the Civil War to others. Perhaps getting others interested in the hobby that may end up one day contributing. I suppose I am of the party that supports everyone doing what they can-as long as it is something. Perhaps those that haven’t given need to think why they are in this hobby and hat got them here. What really got them here. To all those that do contribute-thank you! I know our ancestors would be proud of this work. You should feel proud.
    Matthew Rector

Comment

PRESERVATION, RECLAMATION, and EDUCATION are the key reasons that I take part in this hobby. I take part in preservation activities every chance I get in the East and West. As Doug talked about in the other post, I've been one of those guys in the crowd with the hat asking for donations (Grant v. Lee, etc. etc.), and went to businesses, individuals, coworkers to ask for donations for preservation, as well as volunteered alot of time helping out with the planning and coordination of preservation events. In my opinion, EDUCATION is a very important aspect of PRESERVATION that if often overlooked by authentic living historians. Talking to folks at living histories and events about preservation is very, very important. You never know who that guy with his kid is, or how much he might become interested in preservation resulting in money donated, letters written, or community meetings attended. (I said all of that to illustrate that I'm NOT, in any way, opposed to preservation)

As to the issue at hand (the OTB issue), I have not donated any money to the fence rail drive as asked for (or demanded) by the moderator. Do I have a problem with the drive? NO. I know John and think very highly of him and know that he feels very strongly about his service to the battlefields by buidling the fences. A couple of years ago, John did the same thing at Perryville. I was involved from the start in planning the WIG's participation at that event, which resulted in a large donation to the Save the Perryville Battlefield Association, which is a VERY active preservation organization that is going in the right direction and making a difference for that battlefield. Aside from the money raised by the WIG, I wrote a check for $100 more to the association, because I know it's going to LAND AQUISITION. The point I'm trying to make here is that I feel like my money donated to Perryville was used for preservation and land acquisition, instead of ornamentation for the battlefield. Again, don't get me wrong, I think the rail drive is fine..... but the fact is that it's not land aquisition preservation. I agree with Daley and others, if we are going to demand money to be spent, make it money spent on a land acquisition organization that will PRESERVE battlefields. I live on the Franklin battlefield in Franklin, TN in a home built in the '40's. We all see here everyday what can happen to land not preserved, and I feel that the key here is now going to have to be RECLAMATION of the battlefield, because there's nothing much left to preserve. LAND ACQUISITION is the key to preservation. I could build a fence on my property (which is very much on the battlefield), but it wouldn't preserve that property like it could have been if someone would have bought the land before it was developed into a residential area.

Just my 2 cents worth. This is a discussion, so I took part by posting my view. Again, I think what John and the others are doing with the fence drive is fine, but I think when "demanding" money be spent, it needs to be spent toward land acquisition.

Chris Utley
      Chris Utley
      South Union Mills
      [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
      [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

An example of what Keith was talking about. Today, I received a plea from CWPT to help raise $60,000 to purchase 60 acres of core battlefield at Mansfield that is under direct attack from the mining operation already onsite.

Through the power of numbers, a local preservation group and the federal government, each dollar that members donate will be TRIPLED by programs set up for this. This is land acquisition at its best.

On top of that, for any donation over $40, you would receive a signed and numbered copy of the new book One Damned Blunder from Beginning to End, a look at the Red River Campaign by Gary Joiner. This book is normally $17.95.

Annual membership in CWPT is $35. www.civilwar.org

Can't wait to get my book........
        Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

There is more than just land to be saved. Don't forget that there are flags that need to be saved, a local museum needs funds for a flag of the 2nd VA Cav, they are also trying to save a uniform coat from before the war. In Lynchburg Greg Starbuck is trying to restore a house used in the war, the land has been purchased (thus it is saved) but if the house falls down what is the point? Those are just two of many just in my backyard. There are more good causes than money.
          If a short list were to be developed and then voted on by a poll then an AC drive could be done but how many people will support the drive? I am sure that a number of people would, some would point out why it is a bad cause and a majority would just stay on the side without comment.
          Is anyone shocked?
          I was a few days ago but I got over it.

Comment

The location of the individual donor has a lot to do with which historic sites one will support. Living as I do in a historic Civil War town, Corinth, MS, I am much more apt to donate money and time to a project here than say in Virginia or Georgia.

Currently we have a 10 million dollar NPS museum and visitors center under construction along with on going projects to protect and display the surviving earthworks. Shiloh NMP is just 15 minutes up the road with it's needs and there is also talk of preserving parts of the Iuka battlefield which will have it's own requirements for time and donations.

Preservation is extremely important but with an endangered battlefield in my backyard I tend to work with projects here which get little "air time" on the net.
            Jim Kindred

Comment

Right you are Mr. Kindred. I tried to allude to this very principle in my earlier commentary, but with so much to say, I was not as succinct as you regarding this issue. We can not possible stretch our incomes individually to include EVERY preservation cause. Nearly every last man one of us is forced to pick and choose according to ones own sense of urgency and duty. I, too am much more inclined to support preservation pertaining to the Western theater, as my ancestors fought here, and it is the land of my people, so to speak. I don't think that throwing verbal stones at persons not able or willing to donate to the cause of the month is the way to go. And this occurs far more often that it should.
              I get the distinct feeling that much of this mentality is fostered more from a "clique", heard mentality and a need to be accepted, than a sincere desire to help out. I realize that donation dollars are donation dollars, regardless of the intent, but the backlash of peer pressure can be uncomfortable, none the less.
              As a dyed in the wool Southerner, it is a bit shocking for me to quote old Abe, however he hit it on the head when said: "You can please some of the people some of the time......"
              Michael Semann
              AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Comment

Dusty:

Yes, there are many ways to support preservation. We should respect those that choose alternative methods of support.

While reenacting and preservaton are not codependant, it seems odd to me that more reenactors do not appear to be concerned about preservation. Just seems odd.

What confounds me is why so many found the pure nature of the other board's request out of character or unusual. Gotta love 'em. :cry_smile
                Ley Watson
                POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Folks this is a big push by CWPT with an amazing triple matching offer from the Austin TX CW Roundtable ($20,000!) and two other groups. If we make the goal of the 2 raffles, $4000 (half way there), that would trigger another $12000...not to mention the thousands being raised by other means from marchers and vendors.

It is often our best foot forward to sweat a little and motivate others to donate. At Mansfield we will wear out a little shoe leather while walking in the soldiers footsteps - and now people are noticing. Again, though, we will do even better if we approach businesses and civic organizations local to the fields in questions around the country - that is where you raise the serious dough.

BTW - speaking of motivated preservation oriented folks, Adam Cecil of the QM Stores is driving all the way from North Carolina to help raise more money through sales of his great stuff and will allow us to display the quilt and raise more funds onsite - thanks Adam!!

Originally posted by dusty27
                  An example of what Keith was talking about. Today, I received a plea from CWPT to help raise $60,000 to purchase 60 acres of core battlefield at Mansfield that is under direct attack from the mining operation already onsite.

Through the power of numbers, a local preservation group and the federal government, each dollar that members donate will be TRIPLED by programs set up for this. This is land acquisition at its best.

On top of that, for any donation over $40, you would receive a signed and numbered copy of the new book One Damned Blunder from Beginning to End, a look at the Red River Campaign by Gary Joiner. This book is normally $17.95.

Annual membership in CWPT is $35. www.civilwar.org

Can't wait to get my book........
                  Figures - I just bought the book :( it is an excellent read BTW.
                  Last edited by DougCooper; 02-19-2004, 12:34 AM.
                  Soli Deo Gloria
                  Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
                  X