• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Helps Shape Ft. Monroe Plan

By Kate Wiltrout
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © November 6, 2009

HAMPTON

Almost 150 years after Jefferson Davis was imprisoned at Fort Monroe, devoted supporters of Confederate history are speaking out to ensure his stay is remembered and preserved.

Davis, president of the Confederacy, was held for two years at the base after he was captured in the waning days of the Civil War. His time at the fort certainly wasn't one of the high points of the Southern cause. But Mark Sheehan of Hayes doesn't want Davis or the Confederacy given short-shrift after the Army leaves this waterfront post in 2011.

Sheehan was among about 75 people who came to a public meeting Thursday evening to give input to the planning process.

"It looks like they're going to be inclusive, and I don't know how much Confederate history they'll have - probably not enough for me," said Sheehan, who works at a Newport News shipyard and portrays a Confederate soldier in battle re-enactments.

Nine months from now, Interpretive Solutions Inc., a West Chester, Pa.-based firm, will deliver an interpretive master plan to the authority overseeing the base's transition to state ownership.

Ann Clausen, one of the firm's principals, said it will focus on themes and stories that best explain the fort's meaning and relevance - and attract tourists. The firm is being paid $160,000.

Those in attendance were asked to "vote" - with round stickers - on various topics and themes. One polling station asked which parts of the fort's military history were most significant. Periods ranged from the fort's founding during Colonial rule to its role in coastal defense during World War II.

The most popular choice by far was added by a participant: "War Between the States - Jefferson Davis - Confederate History - Museum of Confederacy." The suggestion garnered 50 stickers of approval.

Jimmy Thames of Portsmouth is a history buff and a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

"When you go in there, if you get your mind into the fort and into its history, you really can actually go back in time," he said.

"The honor of the men who guarded that fort - they were Yankees, but I do believe even their honor should be preserved for all time," Thames said.

"What they believed in was just as strong and just as honorable as what the Confederate soldiers fought and died for."

Kate Wiltrout, (757) 446-2629, kate.wiltrout@pilotonline.com
    The Virginian-Pilot: Your source for Virginia breaking news, sports, business, entertainment, weather and traffic
    Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Re: Public Helps Shape Ft. Monroe Plan

I was born and raised for eighteen years in Poquoson and worked for the Vol. Fire Dept. in Hampton so I had a vested interest in attending that meeting. Actually, I was even considering driving from Roanoke to put in my own .2

I hope they take better care of Ft. Monroe then what the city did to Ft.Wool.

I personally would like to see a section if not the whole thing left in period with a rebuilt barracks and functioning gun battery to be garrisoned by living Historians. Like what was done with Ft. McHenry.

I hope everything works out in our favor.

Thank you for posting the review.
    Steven Flibotte
    Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
    Confederate Marines Company C./Marine Guard USS Galena
    Tidewater Maritime Living History Association

Comment

Re: Public Helps Shape Ft. Monroe Plan

I had the privelage to visit Ft Monroe back in May when I was in that region of Virginia on vacation. It for me has been a place I've wanted to actually see and visit since the 3rd Pennsylvania Artillery was stationed at Ft Monroe durring the war, and it was impressive to visit the place and get a feel for it myself. It's a beautiful place, and hopefully it will be preserved. There's something nice about being on top of the fort and looking out towards Norfolk and watching the various ships and aircraft going by.
      [FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Black]Nicholas A. Keen
      Cannoneer Battery B, 3rd Penna. Artillery
      "When our boys went about the citizens they seemed surly and unaccomadating and showed no disposition to grant us any favors, for which I could not blame them because the soldiers I know to be a great nuisance"- Robert Patrick "Reluctant Rebel"
      [url]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/armysystem.php?do=recruit&uniqueid=37[/url]
      Harper's Weekly May 4 1861: "War they have invoked; war let them have; and God be the judge between us."

"There is nothing so exhilarating in life as to be shot at without effect."

- Winston Churchill

[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
      X