Development at Spotsylvania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Development at Spotsylvania

I was visiting Spotsylvania Battlefield recently and was shocked and saddened by the recent development north of the battlefield (north of Landrum Lane). With the leaves down this time of year, one can make out people's backyards from Landrum Lane. I looked on Google Imagery and was shocked to see a massive housing development just north of the park (off Gordon Road), probably only 2 years old. This is ground on which the US 2nd Corps formed on the morning of May 12, 1864 for the attack on the Mule Shoe --the Brown Farm-- that is now completely gone forever.

Why did CWPT not raise a fuss about this development? The group seems to fight for every acre of ground at obscure battlefield from New Mexico to Virginia but when a major battlefield likle Spotsy is threatened directly on the park's boundary...not even a mailing is sent out. Very sad.

Todd Berkoff
    Last edited by tberkoff; 11-08-2009, 05:56 PM.
    Todd S. Berkoff

Re: Development at Spotsylvania

CWPT saves what it can. Remember, funding is limited to donations and matching funds. CWPT doesn't try to save everything either. It knows it can't. It prioritizes the battlefields and tries to raise money to get the most significant and threatened land.

Money raised in the Annual West Coast Civil War conference always goes to preservation. It doesn't matter which Civil War round table is organizing it either. It's a unwritten rule that we all abide by. Despite the bad economy this year, over $2k was raised by the San Jacquin Valley CWRT in Clovis, CA.
    GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
    High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

Todd
      In many cases a buy-out isn't possible. It takes interest groups (per say a large community of progressive reenactors...) and or locals to make the case, bring up the fight, propose alternatives to the development though editorials, etc. Once there is a good local hype- those grass roots people call the interest groups (CWPT, Department of Historic Resources, etc) and get the word out. It is very possible to win land use decisions without having the money to buy the ground, it just takes a little effort to tune everyone else in.

While we aren't technicians, there are land use tools available to help mold development if it cannot be avoided. When battlefields are the issue, both locals and outsiders (tourist dollars means alot) become big players- and the community leaders will listen. In short there are options, ways to argue, even sometimes a loss is ok- its just a matter of catching something early though and raising a stinky until the big groups can weigh in.
      Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

From what I have read about this new development, the deal was made some time ago, even though construction began only a few years ago. I think CWPT made some initials attempts to work with the developer but the developer was uncooperative and it moved forward.

I fully understand that not everyone with an interest in preserving battlefield property can be pleased. Conversely, I probably would be complaining about CWPT not preserving the Slaughter Pen tract at Fredericksburg if that was not made a priority.

Todd Berkoff
        Todd S. Berkoff

Comment

Is the land your speaking of the actual site of the staging or is the developement within the site line of it? If it is a case of well we can see it from the battlefield but it isn't on the battlefield then I can see why CWPT and other groups made the decision to put their efforts elsewhere. Locations where actual fighting took place or significant historical actions occured such as Fort Monroe should get more attention then where soldiers stopped on their way into battle. If we were to save every staging area or camp site there would be no development in DC Metro Area newer then 1865.
          Brian Schwatka
          Co. K 3rd US Regulars
          "Buffsticks"

Comment

I looked on Google Earth at the area and did some zooming...and I was dumbfounded by what looked like streets and empty lots in the woods adjacent to the battlefield. Last time I was there was in Dec. 2007, and don't recall seeing it. Just from looking at the satellite image, yes the development is very close to the battlefield. Again, on the map it was just dirt, no development yet, although the situation on the ground could be different as these images are usually a couple weeks behind.
            Jeff Felton
            [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"]Liberty Rifles
            CWPT[/SIZE][/SIZE]
            [URL="http://northcarolinastatetroops.blogspot.com/"]http://northcarolinastatetroops.blogspot.com/[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by LHV1861 View Post
              I looked on Google Earth at the area and did some zooming...and I was dumbfounded by what looked like streets and empty lots in the woods adjacent to the battlefield. Last time I was there was in Dec. 2007, and don't recall seeing it. Just from looking at the satellite image, yes the development is very close to the battlefield. Again, on the map it was just dirt, no development yet, although the situation on the ground could be different as these images are usually a couple weeks behind.
              That is the key. Do we save hundreds of acres on a few battlefields to keep line of site or the key areas on as many as possible to avoid a Franklin TN. I would love for there not to be massive housing projects, golf courses or malls near battlefields but when preservation resources including good will with the locals is limited you need to direct those resources towards the critical areas and sometime you may have to see someones backyard while walking the battlefield trail but at least you can still walk the battlefield trail.
              Brian Schwatka
              Co. K 3rd US Regulars
              "Buffsticks"

Comment

I just want to add a few things:

1. Whenever possible if you are driving through an area and notice "FOR SALE" and compare it with historical maps, documentary evidence, and the Civil War Sites Advisory Committee's currently being revised survey (http://www.nps.gov/history/hps/abpp/) you can CALL THE CWPT and tell them about property. I have done it, I know others on this forum have done it. I will continued to do it. It doesn't mean the CWPT has the money to go out and buy it right now but it does mean you can say you did your part in trying (and sometimes being successful) in preserving the land.

2. We tend to think INSIDE the box in the preservation world and particularly in the Civil War preservation world and think the CWPT is the only organization to call on. Remember your STATEWIDE and LOCAL preservation/heritage organizations (in Virginia for example, the Central Virginia Battlefields Trust for a regional one and Preservation Virginia for the statewide organization). Preservation Virginia annually asks for endangered places, send in your submissions as per their website (http://www.preservationvirginia.org). Also do not forget if YOU own a piece of historic property (land, house, or both) or know someone who does and have a good relationship with them do not forget about conservation easements. One such Virginia example of an organization involved in this process is: http://www.pecva.org/anx/index.cfm

3. While there is nothing we can likely do now about development already done at Spotsylvania and the pending development of Wal-Mart and three pad sites at Wilderness there IS something we can do in Tidewater Virginia. If you're concerned about the loss of battlefields and green space then I expect to see you following intensely the proposed development on the Williamsburg Battlefield. Some of you have written some editorials and have written to the planning commission and city council members. I expect if you're outraged about Spotsylvania you'll join the fight to save this battlefield. Hopefully this link will work for those of you on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...0753543&ref=ts) and if it doesn't look up Save Williamsburg Battlefield.
                Sincerely,
                Emmanuel Dabney
                Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
                http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

Originally posted by Emmanuel Dabney View Post
                  I just want to add a few things:

1. Whenever possible if you are driving through an area and notice "FOR SALE" and compare it with historical maps, documentary evidence, and the Civil War Sites Advisory Committee's currently being revised survey (http://www.nps.gov/history/hps/abpp/) you can CALL THE CWPT and tell them about property. I have done it, I know others on this forum have done it. I will continued to do it. It doesn't mean the CWPT has the money to go out and buy it right now but it does mean you can say you did your part in trying (and sometimes being successful) in preserving the land.

Great idea never really thought to do that before. I just set up my CFC for Central Virginia Battlefields Trust. I prefer more local defined organizations of broad ones like the CWPT.
                  Brian Schwatka
                  Co. K 3rd US Regulars
                  "Buffsticks"

Comment

The current land at Chancellorsville and Wilderness would be great additions. The Wilderness seems to be more of a buffer, which with that atrocious Wal-Mart, is a good idea, buffer as much of Rte. 3 as possible. And the Chancellorsville target area looks to be core battlefield. Not a bad haul for Chancellorsville in the last few year. First day and now this tract. Hope it works out.
                    Jeff Felton
                    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"]Liberty Rifles
                    CWPT[/SIZE][/SIZE]
                    [URL="http://northcarolinastatetroops.blogspot.com/"]http://northcarolinastatetroops.blogspot.com/[/URL]

Comment

There was an opportunity to get involved before the land north of Landrum Ridge was destroyed. Around the time the "Day One Chancellorsville" property was saved this area came under question. Historically it should be referred to as the "Brown Farm". There was some money available and CWPT sought matching funds. They even sought (and received) endorsement from Spotsylvania County to protect at least a portion of it. It is true the developer was not looking to negotiate but they did also go to the County to obtain an extension of the "primary settlement district" to obtain water and sewer. Here is where the County could have stepped in an tried to influence a deal that could have preserved the southern half of the site in exchange for greater density closer to Gordon Road. The National Park Service even created several alternate suggestions as to how the land could be developed with a greater sensitivity toward the cultural resources that are there. Alas, nothing materialized and in late 2005 the property underwent the rape you see today.
                      The saddest part of this is that the actual Civil War era view shed can never be restored. The trees as you see them today is not the war era wood line. The actual period tree line is the park's boundary line which is 225 yards further back. Clearing that would take you right to the backyards of these new homes, whenever they get built. The economy delayed this project right about the time they ripped up the ground. A day late and a dollar short for preservationists.
                      It is a shameful loss. It is from that war era wood line that the II Corps emerged in the early hours of May 12, 1864 and began their assault on the salient. Now we will never see the full field as the soldiers saw it. It is far more than a staging area.
                      In ten years there has been plenty of Civil War related land destroyed or heavily damged here in Spotsy, despite being considered one of the most endangered battlefields. That designation seems to have intensified the desire to destroy it.
                      A shame. A real shame. This should have ended on a better note.

John Cummings

Comment

John --

Thank you for this candid explanation of what happened to the Brown Farm. A real travesty. I know CWPT is not omnipresent or omnipotent but sometimes I get the feeling that the organization gets too focused on one or two preservation efforts -- to the detriment of other properties that deserve immediate attention as well. Such was the case with the dual fights to save the First Day of Chancellorsville property (an effort which I supported, btw, because the property also acts as a buffer to the core battlefield) or the grossly expensive Slaughter Pen Farm, all the while properties like the Brown Farm at Spotsy and key property at Brandy Station (see separate post) were in real danger of being lost. As John mentioned, the NPS was in talks with the developer to help save the southern portion of the Brown Farm site, but apparently nothing materialized. At the very least, the plight of the Brown Farm needed a mailing from CWPT to bring it some national attention to put pressure on the developer to do right. But we the public heard nothing of these other sites in danger.

On a side note, US Second Corps attack on 12 May 1864 was one of the largest infantry assaults of the entire war -- over 20,000 men moving in one solid mass -- on par with Hood's charge at Franklin and Longstreet's assault at Second Manassas. At least one of these three sites are protected for future generations. Very sad.

Todd
                        Last edited by tberkoff; 12-13-2009, 12:54 PM. Reason: grammar
                        Todd S. Berkoff

Comment

Working...
                        X