Clear All

• Penn State Gettysburg Preservation Paper

deletedelete
    Attached Files
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    50.00%
    Last edited by psu23; 11-30-2009, 09:05 PM.

Re: Penn State Gettysburg Preservation Paper

No Name
    My first comment was maybe you should have OK'ed this as your first post here with a moderator.
    Secondly I am unsure how to Answer the questions, "Am I Right or Wrong" with a Yes or No answer key.
    Ive read the paper and have a number of questions and concerns at the end of it. My biggest and perhaps the most important question was, "What was the purpose of this paper?"
    If you have many more asking the same question at the conclusion maybe rearranging and cutting some fluff out would help focus on your point.
    There are a number of key land management factors you have missed in your diagnosis of Gettysburg as a cultural landscape as well as key times and points in the parks formation.
    A few paragraphs about the formation of the park as we know it today, coupled with comments about non-profit organization involvement would also help clear some things up and set the stage for your opinions.
    Do not simply mention McDonalds as the "infestation." Talk about how and why the town has grown and how and why spaces are being reclaimed. Include more about the public memory but how it lead to the formation of Gburg as a cultural icon.
    Your comments about the forestry are interesting but Id like to see them teased out and tied into the EIS comments. Dont leave the deer as the only suggestion of a conflict of interest. Bring together the idea that parks have multiple missions but sometimes one particular event or thing as their focus or drawing point.
    Yes the modern mindset as you say has chosen development over preservation but diagnose why there is conflict. Tie together the importance of the period location with its relevance in today's society. For instance at Fredericksburg the road networks then drew the fight on just as they today promote development.
    But do not forget the original preservation movements, immediately post war, during the centennial, etc.
    Tease out your historiography a bit. Dont use your professor and the GMP as your only mediums. Try Sacred Ground, "Americans and Their Battlefields." BY Linenthal. Or Paving Over the Past by Boge.
    I would highly recommend re-writing the portion about reenacting, and the authentic movement. Keep in mind most of America, that includes some NPS staff have a jaded perspective on reenactors and rightfully so. It is important to stress the interpretive benefits of accurate portrays of material culture and equally important to play down "starving ourselves, rolling in the mud, etc."
    While my grammar and spelling are not great by any means I would highly recommend editing your paper before turning it in.
    Most Respectfully
    Drew Gruber
    Last edited by Busterbuttonboy; 11-30-2009, 09:00 PM.
    Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

Re: Penn State Gettysburg Preservation Paper

Hallo!

Moderator hat on...

Seeing that the poster has deleted the text of the posting, there is no place to go with this thread.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
      X