Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gordonsville Exchange Hotel Needs Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gordonsville Exchange Hotel Needs Help!

Dear friends,
    Recently my wife and I were invited to join the board of directors for Historic Gordonsville, Inc., which oversees the Exchange Hotel Civil War Hospital Museum in Gordonsville, VA. During the last meeting we became disturbed by the low level of morale of the folks working so hard to preserve this historic site. Apparently within the next 2-3 years, 2 of the main exhibits containing uniforms and weaponry will be pulled by their respective owners in order to sell for their retirement. As these are the largest and most impressive displays, the prospect of losing them, coupled with financial concerns, had the board members discussing “exit-strategies” for the museum. After 20 years of operation, it would truly be a great loss for the community if the museum were forced to close. It is only through the generosity of private collectors that the museum has had sufficient artifacts to display over the years. Therefore, in this time of need, I would ask that if anyone here would feel led to donate or loan original items of the civil war era, quality reproductions for display use, or make a monetary donation in order to help the Exchange Hotel, that you contact myself via Email or PM. mhslax35@aol.com
    William L. Shifflett
    Valley Light Horse and Lord of Louisa

"We are still expecting the enemy. Why dont he come?" -JEB Stuart

In Memory of 3 Sox, 4th Va Cavalry horse, my mount, my friend. Killed in action January 9th, 2005.

Re: The Gordonsville Exchange Hotel Needs Help!

Will
    I am slightly confused. There are items on loan from individuals which they are choosing to recall for personal purposes? Or there are board members thinking about de-accessioning these items to the "exit strategy?" Does the museum have a collection of its own? What archival support does the museum offer for those who may consider loaning items?
    Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

Drew,
      The Hotel owns little to none of the items you see there. There are two main gentlemen who own probably 85% of the items. One owns most of the guns, swords, and things of that nature. The other owns the uniform items. Both gentlemen will be retiring in the next few years and both collections will need to be returned. I'm not sure how the loan process goes honestly. I'd assume some type of letter with photos and description of the item.
      William L. Shifflett
      Valley Light Horse and Lord of Louisa

"We are still expecting the enemy. Why dont he come?" -JEB Stuart

In Memory of 3 Sox, 4th Va Cavalry horse, my mount, my friend. Killed in action January 9th, 2005.

Comment

Will,

Could you begin preparation for some preservation events at the hotel. I would be willing to serve. Gordonsville, VA the "Fried Chicken Capital of the World". My pards and I have been talking about a living history their for a long time. Please consider contacting me.

Peter J. McCarthy
        POC'R Boys Mess
        Columbia Rifles
        Long Time Orange County Resident
        Peter J. "Pete" McCarthy
        POC'R Boy's Mess/Columbia Rifles

"As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith. Galatians 6:10

Comment

Working...
        X