Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 55th Massachusetts Shelter Half Found

Ken,

I can't recall many artifacts relating to the USCT at all. However yesterday I stumbled upon one of the most beautiful knapsacks I have ever seen, which is identified to Ezra Brooks of the 8th USCT. It's a black and white French knapsack, apparently part of the early war French chasseur uniform/equipment sets and was issued later. The description claims it was worn by Brooks at the battle of Olustee, Florida. What's interesting is that some original photos and contemporary sketches of USCT show them wearing a good mix of "outdated" knapsacks such as "militia" hard frame and Mexican War knapsacks. It's interesting to think that they were issued some equipment that had been in storage for several years.

The photo below is courtesy of the Atlanta History Center.
    Attached Files
    Brian White
    [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
    [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Wow that is so neat. Yeah I could definitely see the colored troops being equipped, especially in the beginning, with outdated equipment. I'm sure nobody expected them to ever see any real combat anyway so it would make sense. It would be interesting to look at some original documentation regarding just what exactly was issued to these guys.
      [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

In 1993 I was privileged to attend the dedication of the grave of Pvt Alonzo Johnson, 45th USCT, at the Macedonia Baptist Church in Hyattsville, MD. I was representing the Sec of Defense and the 3rd US (Old Guard) did a fantastic job. 3 of Johnson's children were in attendance, all over 85 and born when Johnson was in his late 50-early 60's (13 kids!). His son held his father's forage cap on his lap during the ceremony. I did not have a camera, of course, and never got a photo, but it was a type 2 if memory serves. http://joeljohnsonjrphotography.wordpress.com/
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Jim,

Forgot to mention the fellow who wore my forage cap was wounded at Honey Hill, shot through the hand.
          Last edited by Ken; 07-09-2011, 08:22 PM.

Comment

That is a nice cap. Sounds like Honey Hill was not a very nice place for the 55th. I sent this thread to the relic hunter who discovered the bodies of some members of the 55th in SC. They recently erected a monument to that regiment.
            The discovery and excavation of Civil War Soldiers from the all African-American 55th Massachusetts Volunteers on Folly Beach, South Carolina. This is the on...
            Jim Mayo
            Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
            http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

This professor has some phenomenal family ties to both the war and the antebellum period. The article says he is the great-great-grandson of William Lloyd Garrison and great-grandson of two officers in USCT regiments (one of which is the immortalized 54th Mass.) He has both of their wartime journals and now this incredible attic find. I'd imagine he has some great insight for his students...
              Tad Frei

Ancestors:
              William Thomas Dillon, 25th Tennessee Infantry, Co. I (CSA)
              F. M. Gore, 4th Tennessee Cav., Co. D (CSA)

Comment

Some years ago I saw displayed a forage cap attributed to a USCT soldier in the Boone County Historical Society Museum in Belvidere, Illinois. I can no longer travel, but perhaps a member of the forum knows of this cap or could visit to confirm my memory. The museum also has a Confederate made Leeds 12 pound tube mounted on a reproduce carriage. Small town treasures in northern Illinois.
                Steve Sullivan

Comment

If someone can make it the Boone County Historical Society Museum and the hat is still there, I would urge them to photograph the hat and share it here on this website. It would be neat to assemble a folder of photos of original colored troop items.

Originally posted by rogue View Post
                  Some years ago I saw displayed a forage cap attributed to a USCT soldier in the Boone County Historical Society Museum in Belvidere, Illinois. I can no longer travel, but perhaps a member of the forum knows of this cap or could visit to confirm my memory. The museum also has a Confederate made Leeds 12 pound tube mounted on a reproduce carriage. Small town treasures in northern Illinois.
                  Steve Sullivan

Comment

Ken,
                    Clear your PM mailbox of excess, you are full plus some.
                    I have written the historical society to see if they might have a photo and history. If possible I will post here.
                    Steve Sullivan

Comment

I work at the Atlanta History Center which is in possession of the knapsack and I have been doing quite a bit of research on the 8th USCT and this knapsack. The quartermaster for the 8th was Lt. Oliver Norton who prior to serving in the 8th was with the Eighty-third Pennsylvania who were issued the knapsacks but sent them back with the other Chasseur de Vincennes uniforms.

These knapsacks were not inferior to double bag knapsacks they could have been issued, but on equal footing. For some odd reason the 8th was issued most of their gear from the ordinance depo as was the knapsack.

you can see some pictures here http://www.shaywoodandco.com/photo%2...hoto%20pg.html
                      Marvin Greer
                      Snake Nation Disciples

"Now bounce the Bullies!" -- Lt. David Cornwell 9th Louisiana Colored Troops, Battle of Milliken's Bend.

sigpic

Comment

I would imagine most everyone will remember this thread regarding the 55th Mass. Shelter Half found by Richie Garrison. I sent a message to Mr. Garrison on Facebook over a year ago (7/11/11) and never received a reply from him until this evening. It took over a year but he finally answered. In his reply he asked to see a photograph of the 55th Mass forage cap I own which I sent to him. I requested a meeting and told him I would let him examine my forage cap and that I would like to examine the shelter half. If things work out and we can meet I will photograph the shelter half and share those photos on this site.

Comment

Working...
                        X