Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chickamauga markers reborn

Chickamauga Markers Make Return Outside Battlefield Land

March 8, 2004--Markers indicating significant events in the Battle of Chickamauga have been reappearing recently, and some of them are not inside the official boundaries of what is today considered "the battlefield."

With the cooperation of the city of Fort Oglethorpe and the Downtown Development Authority, the plaques are being put in the locations chosen for them by the veterans of the battle, at the time of the park's construction in the late 1890s, according to Jim Szyjkowski, cultural resource manager at Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park.

"In my view we restored a little piece of history," he said. "The veterans obviously thought these tablets were important to the overall understanding of the battle. It is vital to preserve these types of cultural resources."

The monuments have been AWOL since 1935 when the construction of US Highway 27 slightly changed the route of the Old Lafayette Road, Szyjkowski's research revealed. He started studying the matter after discovering the markers seven years ago in a storage facility at the park, the Catoosa County News reported.

When the markers were originally placed, the veterans in charge pictured the park as covering more area than it does today, he said. Although a park has to have boundaries, which were set by Congress, it tends to give the false impression that stepping across a line moves one from where the battle "was" to where it "wasn't."

Fighting in the Battle of Chickamauga stretched as far as Missionary Ridge in Tennessee, Szyjkowski said, although the ones presently being replaced don't cross the Georgia state line.

Szyjkowski said the six tablets include notes on the actions of several Confederate military forces, such as Brigadier Gen. Frank C. Armstrong's Division, Brigadier Gen. John Pegram's Division, and Nathan Bedford Forrest's Cavalry of the Army of Tennessee.

One of the most interesting is a tablet titled "First Firing on Chickamauga Battlefield," Szyjkowski said. According to the tablet's inscription, around 4 a.m. on Sept. 11, 1863, Union Army Capt. John McCook was fired upon by an outpost of Forrest's Cavalry. The tablet reads: "This was the first point of contact or collision on the Chickamauga Battlefield."

This would place the beginning of the battle a week earlier than the "official" dates of Sept. 18-19, 1863, when the main clash of armies came.

Debi Wilson, chairwoman of the Downtown Development Authority, said the restoration project also tied into one of the development authority's primary goals of placing markers to identify notable sights throughout the Barnhardt Circle historic district and Fort Oglethorpe's oldest neighborhoods.

Wilson noted that the development authority is working to join forces with several other organizations in the Fort Oglethorpe area such as the Post Community Association, Historic Preservation Society, and both the City of Fort Oglethorpe and Catoosa County to promote links between the town and park visitors.

"We would like to make that area more entertaining for visitors and locals to try and create an economic resurgence there," she said. "We would like to get more monuments in place and develop a tour brochure that includes a walking or bicycle route."

National Park Service workers refurbished and repainted the markers, and Fort Oglethorpe public works department checked for underground utilities that could be damaged or right-of-way issues created before they dug holes and mounted the tablets.
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Re: Chickamauga markers reborn

Now if we can just keep the locals from hitting them.

Lee
    Lee White
    Researcher and Historian
    "Delenda Est Carthago"
    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dusty,

Thank you so much for the ways you keep preservation at the forefront of this forum. You remind us daily of why we do what we do and of those we seek to honor.

We lost 3 relatives in this area.

Tilden Kleckner, 21st OVI, Co. A, part of General Thomas' brigade. During the horrible Battle of Chickamauga September 20, he was shot below his left knee. From Camp General Field Hospital he sent word to his sister-in-law that his father, a southern sympathizer, could "kiss his tother end", but that he would go home if Mother asked him.

He described, "My wound is a pretty bad one. The ball went in below the left knee and extended downward. The ball was in my leg five days before it was cut out. Since that time I have had my leg lanced twice and now it is discharging freely and doing as well as can be expected. I think from appearance at this time I will get along pretty well...It is not like being at home, but I am a great deal better off than some other poor soldiers that fell in to the Rebels hands. No doubt you have heard before this time who was killed and wounded. John was taken prisoner, and Joseph Kampf. We all thought that the Battle of Stone River (where his brother was killed) was a hard fight, but it was nothing to what this battle was." Cannonballs, shells and bullets fell around us as thick as hail. Our army is in and around Chattanooga. Our pickets and the Rebel pickets converse with one another every day and exchange papers...I hope that father can see by this time the folly of voting for a traitor (Vallandingham)."
      He died 8 weeks later, November 18, 1863, never having made it home, and is buried under a tree at the Chattanooga National Cemetery.

His brother-in-law, John Leonard, of the same unit was captured there, sent to Libby Prison, and then on to Andersonville where he died the following June. He was buried there.

A cousin of Tilden's, John Kleckner, of the 49th OVI, Company K, was killed at Missionary Ridge. He is buried not far from Tilden.

Thanks again,

Comment

As stated in Dusty's post, you would be surprised at the people who think that a NMP encompasses ALL of the battleground and when you step over the boundary you are out of it. It is inconceivable to some that their house may be right in the middle of a battlefield. I think it's great that these signs that were placed by the actual veterans of the battle are being restored to their locations.

Some of you may be aware that there are moves to redefine the Petersburg battle area. The move is to shift emphesis away from the city to the City Point area where "other aspects" of the struggle not directly pertaining to the seige but more PC can be interpreted. The original boundaries of the park and sites picked by the verterans is and has been mostly ignored.
        Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Jim,

I take your comment to suggest that the NPS at Petersburg is shifting away from its battle sites. That is not entirely true. As I understand it, as part of their on-going General Management Plann (GMP) process, the park is actually suggesting the expansion of their boundaries from 2,692 acres to approximately 6,282 acres. The additional lands were identified through the Civil War Sites Advisory Committee and represent battlefield land, such as those in Dinwiddie County. Thus, the park is actually hoping to protect more battlefield land and make it available for interpretation.

It may be true that the NPS is entertaining the idea of moving its primary Visitor Center out to City Point, which would encourage all visitors to start their tours there, but I don't think they are downplaying the battlefields.

Eric
          Eric J. Mink
          Co. A, 4th Va Inf
          Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Working...
          X