Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franklin!!! GREAT NEWS

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...ino-s-purchase

Wanted to pass this information on to the masses.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Re: Franklin!!! GREAT NEWS

I just donated $20.00 more dollars. I challenge everyone here to do the same:

Galen Wagner
    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

This is great!
      Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
      Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
      Former Mudsill
      Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

OK.I doubled Galen's to $40. But I had two relatives at Franklin, one who was killed. Lt. Jerry Batts, 11th TN.
        Let's keep the money rolling and get that last $100,000.
        Robert Orrand
        N. B. Forrest Camp 215, SCV
        Civilian Adjunct - Mayor of Dover, Purdy, Raymond, Layette, and more to come... and oh yeah Gettysburg
        4thTN CSA - Co A - Shelby Greys

Comment

Arise Missourians and help save the area where the Missouri Brigade won honors with their sacrifice.
          Michael Comer
          one of the moderator guys

Comment

Keep this at the top. It would be a shame to let $100,000 keep them from buying this property.
            Galen Wagner
            Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

This is indeed great news. I would love to see a reconstruction of the cotton gin on that site. For that matter, I'd love to see most of the residential and commercial buildings along that short stretch of the Columbia Pike removed and Highway 6 re-routed. A pipe dream, I know...but one can certainly hope.
              Last edited by CompanyWag; 05-07-2012, 09:41 PM.
              Paul McKee

Comment

Originally posted by GWagner View Post
                I just donated $20.00 more dollars. I challenge everyone here to do the same:

http://www.franklinscharge.com/how-t...anklins-charge
                Mr. Wagner, challenge accepted, I just did the same myself.
                Tyler Underwood
                Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Just donated $50.00 myself. Keep it going!

Stan Buckles

Comment

Donation sent via paypal. Bang. Done.

-Sam Dolan
                    Samuel K. Dolan
                    1st Texas Infantry
                    SUVCW

Comment

This will be my big preservation contribution for the 2012, and I will be there to see that wrecking ball swing. Multiple organizations and dedicated individuals deserve a lot of thanks and praise for working to take back this battlefield.
                      Travis C. Hébert
                      -------------------------
                      Armory Guards / W.I.G.
                      ACWRT,GBA,CWT
                      -------------------------
                      "Flag taking was pretty well knocked out of me" Lt Wm. Pennington, 6th Wisconsin, Co. I

Comment

Originally posted by CompanyWag View Post
                        This is indeed great news. I would love to see a reconstruction of the cotton gin on that site. For that matter, I'd love to see most of the residential and commercial buildings along that short stretch of the Columbia Pike removed and Highway 6 re-routed. A pipe dream, I know...but one can certainly hope.
                        And since the land has already been permanently altered by the development, create a border-to-border stretch of authentic reproduction Federal entrenchments. Like 100 yards. Then folks could visualize how it all happened.

Jim Moffet

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Moffet View Post
                          And since the land has already been permanently altered by the development, create a border-to-border stretch of authentic reproduction Federal entrenchments. Like 100 yards. Then folks could visualize how it all happened.

Jim Moffet
                          Jim,

Looking at their website, I guess that is what they are planning around the reconstructed gin. Simply, it would be satisfying to return the immediate surrounding area to the 19th century landscape. But this is a moot point as it ain't gonna happen...not in my lifetime at least.

In my old stomping grounds of Rockton Illinois, traces of the historic 1830's village of Macktown had nearly vanished. Only a primitive limestone trading post and an early Greek Revival house remained...the rest had been obliterated by a local golf course. In the last five years, the country club was persuaded to relocate two holes so that archeology could be performed and the interpretive area of the village could be expanded. There is talk about doing some reconstruction of certain buildings, but the important thing is that the site has been preserved despite the extensive golf course landscaping. In the case of Franklin, that is really the best I can hope for.

I've logged on and made my contribution and encourage others to continue to do so as well.
                          Last edited by CompanyWag; 05-08-2012, 11:25 PM.
                          Paul McKee

Comment

Paul & Jim,
                            As I understand it, the plan is to reconstruct the cotton gin and the Federal trenches there. That is what I got while getting a walking tour from a friend of mine who is involved with Carnton/Carter House/preservation efforts there. As to when, well . . . I wouldn't get in a hurry, but I wouldn't say not in your lifetime either.
                            Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
                            Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
                            Former Mudsill
                            Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Warren,

Actually I'm quite optimistic the site will get preserved and even the gin reconstructed. (Sometimes I get a little nervous when I hear the word reconstruction. I've seen some reconstructions done very convincingly using period materials and solid research...others...well not so much.) My pessimism was referring to the fantasy of a wider effort returning the surrounding developed area back to its 19th century landscape. Otherwise the gin site may end up something like Salem Church in Fredricksburg VA; a small historic parcel surrounded by modern intrusions. But that is far better than a Dominos Pizza and a strip mall as it currently is. Maybe a wider effort could happen in the future with enough money and interest, but not in my lifetime.
                              Paul McKee

Comment

Working...
                              X