Antebellum home lost to fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antebellum home lost to fire

This house stands about 50yds from the back door of my mom house in Grenada MS, Sterling Price used the 2nd story balcony to review his division of the the Army of the West in December 1862, the troops passed in review on the street in the foreground of the picture.

Will MacDonald

Re: Antebellum home lost to fire

That is truly a shame, Will.

Beautiful home such historic significance.

regards,
    Mark
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Just a quick update,

I was home a couple of weeks ago over the holidays and saw that they have started to rebuild this historic home. Not sure how exact they are going to be in the restoration, but it looks like it will be very close on the outside.

Will MacDonald

Comment

BULLY for the state of Mississippi...well done indeed...especially in this economy!
        Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
        Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
        Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
        Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

I'm glad to see that the house is going back up. Over a decade ago, an F5 tornado over 1.5 miles wide swept through Pontotoc, Mississippi destroying many many homes. One of the homes that was nearly completely destroyed was Lochinvar. Dr. Tutor has since rebuilt the home nearly copying the original plans. After the tornado left the area, people from all over the town came out to assist in the clean up. Many helped in the rebuilding effort and the house looks absolutely wonderful.
          Sincerely,
          James McMillen
          Pontotoc, MS

Proud descendant of [URL="http://s1285.beta.photobucket.com/user/3DistinctKnocks/media/jrmcmillen_zpsee976af7.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0"]Sgt. James Richard McMillen[/URL]
          10th Cav. Regt/12th Miss. Partisan Rangers Co. E

Pontotoc Lodge #81 F.&A.M.
          Grand Lodge of Mississippi

Comment

Working...
          X