X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union County's preservation board approves Confederate slave marker

Here is a bit of good news from the town and county in which I live;

by Adam Bell/ Charlotte Observer

Monroe, N.C.-- Long ignored by history, local slaves who served in the Confederate Army will receive some rare recognition.

The Union County Historic Preservation Commission voted unanimously Thursday to approve a plan for a privately-funded marker to honor 10 black men, nine of whom were slaves, who eventually received small state pensions for their Civil War service.

This will be one of the only public markers of its kind in the country, and arrives in the midst of state and national commemorations of the Civil War's sesquicentennial. The granite marker will be placed on a brick walkway at tha Old County Courthouse in Monroe in front of the 1910 Confederate monument.

"I'm glad to see Union County is finally stepping out of the Jim Crow era and being all-inclusive of its history," said Tony Way, the local amateur historian and Sons of Confederate Veterans member who has lead the push for the project.

The divisive issue of how, or even whether, to honor the men has percolated in Union County for years.

Some opponents of the plan said it was inconsistent with other markers at the 1886 courthouse that honored people who died during conflicts. The existing Confederate monument lists regiments, not individual names of soldiers.

But a racially diverse group of supporters said the honor for the 10 men was long overdue and a way to tell a part of the county's history that had been all but forgotten.

There is no way to know how many slaves were coerced into service or willingly followed their masters to war. Virtually no black men fought in battle for the Confederacy, historians have said. Slave labor provided logistical and support work for the southern Army, including digging ditches, building latrines, working in armories and cooking.

In their pension applications, all 10 union County men were described as "body servants" or bodyguards. They hauled water, carried supplies and helped build forts. Two were wounded.

By the time they received meager state pensions half a century after white veterans collected theirs, the men were around 90 years old and near the end of their lives.

Mattie Rice, the 89-year-old daughter of one of the slaves being honored, Wary Clyburn, simply thanked God when informed of the vote. "I know my father would've been so proud," she said.

The historic commission said it wanted to see more specfic detailsabout the size and wording of the marker, details that should be worked out in time for it to debut before the end of the year.
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Re: Union County's preservation board approves Confederate slave marker

A follow up to the post above, Union County N.C. dedicated a monument to Confederate Pensioners of Color, December 8, 2012. This Link will have the story and photos.
    Last edited by yeoman; 12-10-2012, 05:51 PM. Reason: spelling
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Working...
    X