Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Maine Monument Raffle

Gentlemen,

The 1st Maine reenacting group is in the midst of erecting a monument to the original 1st Maine on the battlefield of Aldie, VA (Loudoun County). This small but ferocious fight was one of the opening salvos of the Gettysburg Campaign. The battle lasted for most of the day, and claimed hundreds of casualties, and many lives, including the Colonel of the 1st Maine, who died in an heroic charge that won the day for the Union.

Today, the battlefield is pristine, but nearly forgotten. The only other marker on the spot is a momument erected by the veterans of the 1st Massachusetts Cavalry, which was also heavily engaged in the battle.

We are seeking to raise $10,000 in order to place a monument on that field to honor those brave men, and the history of the battle. To help in our cause, we are hosting a raffle complete with an array of prizes from some of the best vendors in the business. There are muskets, accoutrements from Duvall Leatherwork, caps from Starbuck, tin ware from Axel Ulrich, garments from Joe Blunt and much more. All for only $10 a ticket. The drawing will be held October 28th at the 150th Unison event, but you do not need to be present to win.

For more information, or to buy a ticket, please head to: http://duvallleatherwork.com/-strse-...Categories.bok

Thanks for your help!
    Take care,
    Tom Craig
    1st Maine Cavalry
    Tom Craig

Re: 1st Maine Monument Raffle

SUVCW Brothers -- help Friend Tom apply for a monument/memorials grant. I believe they start at $500 increments and may award more depending on what other worthy applications come in.
    Paul Hadley, PDC, Nebraska
    Paul Hadley

Comment

Gents-

Bought my raffle ticket yesterday.

Paul- I have emailed an SUVCW Brother to see if he could help with a grant request. Haven't heard back yet...hopefully he has the time to help.

Tom-Is the SUVCW Grant something you would like to pursue?
      Last edited by Cumpston1862; 08-24-2012, 11:18 AM. Reason: Spelling is an issue!
      Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
      Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
      Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
      Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Guys,
        Thanks for the support!
        We'd be happy for any help that we can get, so if we could get some funding from SUVCW, that would be great! Let me know if there is anything that I can do!

Take care,
        Tom Craig
        1st Maine Cavalry
        Tom Craig

Comment

Tom-

My SUVCW Brother got back to me and is willing to help. Please send me a PM and we can coordinate the contact information.
          Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
          Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
          Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
          Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

hi

i have Bought my raffle ticket too next week ! Even i live on the other side of the Earth ( in France) , it's very important to never forget ...
            Ludovic PETH
            "[COLOR="#0000CD"]Fren[/COLOR][COLOR="#A9A9A9"]ch-[/COLOR][COLOR="#FF0000"]Mess[/COLOR]"

Comment

Hey All,
              I just wanted to remind everyone of this preservation project. We've got just under a month until the drawing. You have the chance to get nearly $5000 worth of gear for just $10 a ticket! Additionally, Nick Duvall at Duvall Leatherwork is running a special this month. If you buy $300 worth of gear from Nick then he will throw in two free raffle tickets! A chance to win cool gear from some of the top vendors, just for getting stuff you were already planning to buy!

Take care,
              Tom Craig
              1st Maine Cavalry
              Tom Craig

Comment

A shameless bump for an excellent cause!

Take care,
                Tom Craig
                1st Maine Cavalry
                Tom Craig

Comment

Ok, so another shameless bump for a fantastic cause. This raffle can get you nearly $5000 worth of goods from the best vendors, for $10 per ticket. And all the money goes to the 1st Maine monument project!

Take care,
                  Tom Craig
                  1st Maine Cavalry
                  Tom Craig

Comment

Good bump Tom. I just bought another.
                    See you in a couple weeks.
                    Rob Bruno
                    1st MD Cav
                    http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Thanks Rob!
                      For the rest of you, we've got just about a week and a half left to get your tickets and help out this awesome cause!

Take care,
                      Tom Craig
                      1st Maine Cavalry
                      Tom Craig

Comment

I bought two... what say you? Come on people step up and put in for a great cause.
                        Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

Thanks for your support Drew! There were only 1000 tickets printed, so your chances of getting some swag from this raffle are pretty darn good! We've still got a little over a week to go to get your tickets and help to build a monument on a pristine battlefield!

Take care,
                          Tom Craig
                          1st Maine Cavalry
                          Tom Craig

Comment

Just a week left to get your tickets! Buy now, and buy often to help remember the men of the 1st Maine who fought at Aldie in '63!

Take care,
                            Tom Craig
                            1st Maine Cavalry
                            Tom Craig

Comment

Hey all,
                              We're in our last couple of days to get in on the monument raffle! Awesome prizes, awesome cause, and an awesome price of only $10 per ticket. Get yours now while you still can!

Thanks!
                              Tom Craig
                              1st Maine Cavalry
                              Tom Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X