Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morris Island in the news! Wastewater permit denied.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morris Island in the news! Wastewater permit denied.

Septic tank issue muddies builder's plans for Morris Island
    BY ROBERT BEHRE
    Of The Post and Courier Staff
    A developer who sought permission for 20 septic tanks on Morris Island must get the land rezoned first, and more than 100 people wrote letters opposing his plans for new homes on the barrier island just south of Fort Sumter.

Developer Harry Huffman had asked the state Department of Health and Environmental Control for permission to build septic tanks on 62 acres of high land known as Cummings Point, the northern tip of Morris Island.

In response, Stuart Crosby, environmental health director for the Trident Health District, said that the island's current zoning, which would allow only two homes, conflicts with Huffman's plans and must be addressed first. Crosby sent Huffman a second letter saying that the Office of Ocean and Coastal Resource Management also must approve his plans.

"The ball is kind of in his court, in the county's court and in OCRM's court at this point," Crosby said . "We'll just have to wait and see how it progresses from here. Septic tanks might become a moot point."

Huffman said Monday he wasn't discouraged by the news. "I don't think that will affect our plans at all," he said.

If Huffman gets the necessary zoning and coastal management approvals, then the state will hold a hearing on the septic tank issue. About 120 people wrote in about the septic tank issue, more than enough to trigger a public hearing, Crosby said, adding, "I don't recall seeing a single letter that supported the development."

Huffman joked, "I'm surprised there are just 100 people who are opposed to it. I think I've got 100 people who are in favor of it. ... If that's all they got, that's great. I'd like to meet with them all individually. I'll buy them lunch."

Those who oppose the island's development were pleased with Crosby's response.

Nancy Vinson of the Coastal Conservation League said that group is glad the state won't take a piecemeal approach to permitting development on the island.

"We feel confident that a comprehensive review will result in denial of the project," she said.

Blake Hallman, who heads a coalition of historical and environmental groups that wants to block development on the island and eventually see it placed in public hands, released a statement Monday, saying, "The sands of Morris Island cover the mortal remains of hundreds of patriots, from North and South, black and white. Allowing sewage flushed from multimillion-dollar luxury homes to cover their up-to-now hallowed resting place would be not just inappropriate, but a travesty."

The island is owned by Yaschik Development Co. of Charleston, which paid about $3 million during a foreclosure proceeding in the mid-1980s. It includes a 713-acre dredge disposal site on the south, near Folly Beach and the Morris Island Lighthouse offshore.

The Trust for Public Land had attempted to buy the property a few years ago, but its option expired before any deal was done. Some have suggested that if Charleston County voters approve raising the sales tax by a half-cent in November, then some of its proceeds could be used to buy the island.

Hallman said the coalition has been in touch with the S.C. Conservation Bank and U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham's office to inquire about money for buying the island. "We're making some preliminary moves," he said.

Huffman said he doesn't expect to approach Charleston County about rezoning the island for at least a few months more. He said his development would not include paved roads or cars but would recreate the island's mid-19th century appearance.

"We're just taking it a day at a time, offering to meet or talk with anybody that has any input or concerns," he said.

The site where Union forces attacked the Confederate-held Battery Wagner on July 18, 1863, is currently under water. The attack, led by Col. Robert Shaw and the all-black 54th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, was the inspiration for the climactic battle of the 1989 movie "Glory."

Last month, the national Civil War Preservation Trust placed the island at the top of its list of endangered Civil War battlefields.

Save Morris Island!
    Nora Kravec
    Morris Island Coalition

Re: Morris Island in the news! Wastewater permit denied.

Folks,
    Clearly many of the letters opposing the development of Morris Island sent the SC DHEC were from forum members. Thanks and stay tuned!!! As you read above, this guy is not about to give up. Kinda interesting though that he wants to buy us all lunch. :wink_smil

Cordially,

Comment

Huffman joked, "I'm surprised there are just 100 people who are opposed to it. I think I've got 100 people who are in favor of it. ... If that's all they got, that's great. I'd like to meet with them all individually. I'll buy them lunch."

When Huffman takes his development plan before Charleston Council, he'll find out just how many people oppose it.

Nora Kravec
      Morris Island Coalition

Comment

Comrades:

I know that there are literally hundreds of battle sites that are in need of preservation, but very few remain on the South Caroina Coast. Almost all of James and John's Island is slated for development. There's a high demand for coastal develpoment by consumers, which is very lucrative to politicians seeking more property tax revenues and realty companies greedy for larger profits. A powerful three way demand. If we could only educate the public, the "base" of this demand triangle would cease to exist. Public pressure works. The last thing any company needs is bad PR.

The South Carolina Coastal Conservation League needs around $400 to print up some bumper stickers, to raise awareness and the public consciousness.
        This is where your role as a living historian comes in. By talking about the "current" state of the battlefields at events. History is about yesterday, today and tomorrow. Hopefully your children will still have some undeveloped coastal land in their future. Send them some lunch money. If you can't send money, send a letter of support and tell your friends about this.

SCCCL
        P.O. Box 1765
        Charleston , SC 29402
        Attn: Morris Island
        Gregory Deese
        Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
        "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Working...
        X